Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes. I keep seeing comparisons to Occupy Wall Street, which is another movement that ate itself alive and had some people who made it all about themselves. And that seems to be the theme of these people too:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/dnc-2016-protesters-walkout-226247

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/life-among-the-berned-214099

• Members

The speech he gave 4 years ago was great but the agenda behind what he did last night was a lot different and he was masterful. He spoke from the heart and  he told the story of his time with Hillary and her own service in a funny and engaging way. For all the people who have been up on that stage telling stories, no one did it better. I think he's a master storyteller and last night it felt like he was talking to me personally telling me a story. Anyone who has doubts(and trust me I have had them) about his ability to put his own interests aside, he answered them  last night. And he did something that's been difficult for her to do and others in describing her. He humanized her and made her relatable. That bit about their first home being 1100 square feet, no air conditioning, and an attic fan may sound like nothing  but it's those touches he adds that really makes it sound like they are like everyone else. And describing her almost "geeky" like, the young college student with the big dark thick glasses who had her head in a book when he first saw her did the same thing. It was different but IMO he's never been better.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I agree, it was definitely a speech where Bill Clinton the husband was describing someone who he described as his equal and someone who has spent a lifetime in public service while simultaneously being a best friend, a loyal wife and a top-notch mother. You just knew when Bill mentioned how Hillary didn't quit on people, there was a hint that he included himself in that group of people that Hillary didn't quit on despite backlash. I think his job was less as a politician and former Commander-in-Chief and more about someone who speak to his wife's committment to fighting for people who needed it the most.

I admit that there was a section where I was getting quite restless but I perked up when he got to her Senate run because I knew the speech was winding down (lol) and also, it brought back memories of when she ran for NY Senate, where I lived at the time, she was my Senator. Some people said he looked frail but he's been thin for years since his bypass surgery and since he became a vegan.  People also need to remember that Bill is also in his 70th year of life and the primary season was a bruising one where he had to do a number of speaking engagements and rallies.  It was definitely effective in humanizing HRC and her motivations in committing to public service. It also presents her as something of an over-achiever and worrier-someone who is constantly looking to problem solve. Bill's speech was effective of filling the Surrogate-in-Chief role.

I heard some of her childhood friends will be speaking. Hopefully someone will talk about Hillary's mother Dorothy who has a very poignant story and may provide more insight into the person, not just the candidate. I know in U.S. elections, personality is given more weight than perhaps in other elections in many other industrialized countries, so this could be another way to give a more complete personal portrait.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

• Members

Trump goes back on his promise to release his tax returns?  Trump is also basically trying to commit treason now? How desperate is he to show how unfit his is for office! With his base, though, him possibly committing treason won't stop them from voting for him.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/donald-trump-asks-vladimir-putin-to-help-him-win.html

• Members

I have to admit Trump's ties to Russia have been suspect. Members of the GOP, including his VP pick, are coming out and distancing themselves from his comments. Paul Ryan said Putin is a "thug" that can't be trusted and there would be consequences if it was discovered Russia hacked into anything that could potentially disrupt our election process.

I do wonder if the GOP knows Trump is going to implode and already have a strategy in place when that happens. I firmly believe if the day comes when he is elected, he's going to do something to jeopardize our national security, leading to grounds for treason and impeachment. In fact I guarantee that's what they are counting on. I'd have more respect for these people if they would discredit him now and let him handle everything himself. It shows the dysfunction and implosion of their own party that they seem to be afraid of doing that.

• Members

Read this.

Politico, which does lean center-right Beltway class, has been running with every breathless 'will be there chaos??' piece for three days to drive traffic and try to push narrative. I think the Berniebros talk a good game but there was no real drama last night, Day 1 ended well and I think Day 3 will be fine too despite all the handwringing and hot air.

We also apparently have five million more viewers than the RNC.