The Politics Thread

• Members

I really hope Bernie and the DNC can get his supporters to calm down. Can you imagine the final night of the DNC when Hillary speaks and they start boo'ing? I'm not saying she's the best candidate, but she's the only other option (no third party is going to get enough votes). The Bernie supporters would be handing the election to Trump, and Trump as president is frightening.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Frankly, I think that is what they want.

In their opinion, Bernie Sanders never stood a chance within the Democratic party, because the so-called system was rigged against him from the beginning.  All their support meant zero, because the party wanted Hillary Clinton as their nominee and nothing was going to change that.  Ergo, losing the election, even to a thug like Donald Trump, would be hell for everyone INCLUDING them, but it would also be just desserts for "evil Hillary" and her cronies.

Many might vote for a third-party candidate under the nebulous claim of, "Hey, Jill Stein/Gary Johnson could come from behind and upset the apple cart (for Hillary AND for Trump)!"  But let's get real: no third-party candidate stands a chance of winning this, or any, election.  We know it, and they know it.

Now, Bernie is trying his best to persuade them to unify with the rest of the party for the nation's sake, using the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" approach.  However, I don't believe he, or anyone else, will ever get through to these voters.  As Carl and others have said, they're revolting, because they just like being outsiders, and they'll boo and chant and carry on like Trump supporters because they're not getting their way, plain and simple.  Within that percentage of Bernie supporters, though, I have to think there are some who are protesting, because they genuinely see this as being bigger than Trump, bigger than Hillary, bigger than even Bernie.  The system is broken on BOTH sides of the aisle, they say, and as long as it remains broken, no one like Bernie will ever stand a chance of breaking through.

(Me?  I think they have a good point -- and in any other election year, I would applaud and support them.  But this is truly Not. The Year.)

She'll definitely be cheered by the "Berniacs" who believed Hillary should have chosen her for her VP.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Interesting I just read something, I don't know if anyone is talking about this. The Trump camp didn't give a crap about the RNC platform as I think we all know and didn't have any interest in providing any input. Of course he doesn't because he's not really a republican. BUT his camp did insist on a section that talked about a softer relationship with Russia. It was in the Washington Post. I'll have to find the link.

Not that the platform means squat but honestly their beloved Ronald Reagan would NEVER agree to this or trust the Russians. The man respected Gorbachev but never trusted him.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Sarah Silverman (Sanders supporter) came out stumping for Hillary with Al Franken. The cheers are mostly overwhelming the Bernie or Bust boos - with "Hillary"/"Unity", I think. Though the Berniebros are definitely still at it.

"Can I just say to the Bernie or Bust people? You're being ridiculous. They told us to stretch [the time]!"

• Members

I sometimes cringe at Sarah Silverman's comments but I think she hit the right notes tonight yet she completely renained herself throughout the speech.

Is it just me or does Cory Booker sound kind of screechy tonight? Probably because he's so amped, his voice is sounding like it is. I want him to slow down and take a breath.

• Members

Cory Booker is really tearing it up.

A handful of white dudes tried to get a "warhawk!" chant going on, got shut down.

He's going all in with the Maya Angelou! Best speech of the night so far.

Edited by Vee