• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Same.

Let me get this straight: Camp Trump knew Cruz was not prepared to endorse him in his speech -- in fact, they signed off on it before he stepped onstage -- but they allowed him to go on anyway; and when Cruz did exactly what he promised (or not promised), they still became upset with him?

(Please tell me I have this wrong.)

Forgot to add:

Ted Cruz knew exactly what he was doing last night, and he knew exactly the kinds of reactions he'd receive, too.  About this, I have no doubt.  Which really makes me loathe the guy for exposing his wife (the same wife he told Trump to "leave the hell alone") to potential physical danger both on the convention floor and later in the hotel suites.  I mean, if I were Ted Cruz (ugh), and I knew I was about to deliver some words that might provoke certain individuals in certain ways, I'd probably tell my wife that it might be in her best interests if she were to sit this out.

• Members

I hope it's not true but none of the top contenders for Vice President to Hillary Clinton sound at all energizing.  I hope the democrats don't play it safe because those states that I think went for Bernie Sanders like Michigan or where Bernie was close like Ohio and Pennsylvania could be open for the take if she doesn't chose a running mate that can help her in those states. Kaine and Vilsack certainly don't excite me, although Vilsack MIGHT help her in those states. I'd rather see Tom Perez than either of these two and even with that, he doesn't really excite me either. Corey Booker may be a good choice. I still like Julian Castro. But I'd love Elizabeth Warren, but I don't think this country is ready for a double female ticket.

Thoughts.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I read recently that while Hillary likes Julian Castro she feels he's not quite ready.  Also isn't there a minor scandal involving him and HUD? I haven't paid enough attention to that to know if it has legs. I also would have liked to see Elizabeth Warren, but I think she's probably correct to go with a safe choice.  I think the conventional wisdom is that the VP choice doesn't help much, but it can certainly hurt as we saw with Sarah Palin.

• Members

I don't know. I think Hillary needs at least Ohio and perhaps Kasich's dislike for Trump and the fact that my guess is that the republican establishment in Ohio is going to work against him might be enough. But those are the states Obama won in both elections and in the contest against Romney, won those states and that was the difference in the electoral votes. In a year where outliers have gained a lot of support(Trump and Sanders) I just don't think playing it safe is a great idea. And I think Kaine has some scandal surrounding him too. The only one who I think might be relatively clean is Vilsack who was very popular and very blue collar. I do hope the team running comes out against the TPP. That would definitely help solidify some support in those few rust belt swing states.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I agree it mostly hurts more than helps. I do think Joe Biden was a help to Obama - moreso in 2012 than in 2008 (he would have won no matter what in 2008), although Obama's aggressive campaign against Romney was the biggest help, Biden was pretty solid and was a good contrast to boy wonder Paul Ryan. 

I have a feeling Hillary and her people are panicked over Trump likely cutting deep into what's left of the blue-collar white vote in places like the Midwest. I can understand why, but I'm not sure of the choices. I do like Tim Kaine, and he seems to know how to win tough elections, but his views on abortion are going to upset some, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire in his post-SOTU address back when he was elected governor. Vilsack was popular in Iowa for a certain amount of years, but I don't even know if that's the case now. And wasn't he a part of that huge ugly mess against Shirley Sherrod? I think he'd be a minus.

• Members

Carl- To address your post awhile back, I thank God that Trump came after women and Latinos. If he had only scapegoated Muslims I think he'd be doing much better.

I'm really a little afraid right now. I think he could pull this off.  Mostly I've been indifferent about America's changing demographics, so I've never been happier that we have a growing Latino population. With any luck they are about to save us from "the strong man", but we've shown ourselves vulnerable to this type of person. Terrifying, really.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I think it will be very close. 

What I find most tacky are those who are going about the new dynasty and trying to act like the Trumps are the Bushes (for those on the right who loathe the Kennedys) or Kennedys (for the tabloid press). This isn't your excuse for a shiny People cover. This man is a nightmare.