The Politics Thread

• Members

Thank you for posting that Soapsuds.  I was relieved that she didn't say anything particularly hateful or crazy. I can even see how someone who runs a small business would be pro republican. And let's be honest, HRC did call women liars when they were telling the truth. That's just a plain fact. It just so happens she's running against someone so much worse that it doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Juliajms

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Melania thing exploded overnight. These people are already a laughing stock with a commanding majority of the public, this is not helping them. It might have ten years ago, not now.

Edited by Vee

• Members

She looks great, time has been very good to KB and AS Jr both.  She claims she is out of acting, but he has been on the fringes of Z level stardom all these years.  I wonder if he has damaged his career here.   Scot Baio?   I just have to wonder if that was the last thing Garry Marshall saw and it pushed him over the edge,     I do find seeing these has beens fun.

• Members

It's been interesting to see how truly F List the celebrity presence has been with the Republican party. 

We haven't seen Arnold Schwarzenegger have we? He's a big Republican but doesn't seem to want to be THIS kind of Republican. 

Honestly, thank goodness Nancy Reagan is dead. She would have found endorsing Trump excruciating. Love them or hate them the Reagans could get bipartisan work done and had many friends across the aisle. That Republican Party is long gone. 

• Members

:lol: I sincerely believe it had to be sabotage. I thought so last night and then James Carville said it this morning.

After Antonia Sabato Jr. came off as such a nut, I was really expecting Kimberlin Brown to be some angry raving lunatic, but I came away feeling a certain sympathy for her. She was funny and she didn't shy away from being a soap star at all. I felt bad for her when she talked about the hate she received on social media.

If this were a speech for Mitt Romney I could have come away from it with a deeper respect for her, but I stand firm in my thinking that opposing Trump is a moral imperative given some of the insane things he's said about Muslims, women and Latinos. Oh, and the wink and nod to the white supremacists. :ph34r:

OK, I stand corrected. She sabotaged herself. What was she thinking?!

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Speaking of that:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/vdare-gop-convention-tweet-white-nationalist

I really do think in 2020 (assuming this man loses), the GOP will nominate a completely open racist and white supremacist, one who doesn't even bother with "I love my dark-skinned friends!" They've been moving further and further in that direction and receive little blowback for it. At this point they will probably have a debate over whether to bring back eugenics.

• Members

Apparently, George W. Bush was overheard recently telling some of his aides that he thinks he may end up being the last Republican President. For years, I've been thinking that the GOP may eventually go the way of the Whigs and Federalists. I thought this would take decades and never imagined it would be happening so fast.

Apparently, blame for Ms. Trump's plagiarized speech is now being shifted to a one-time ghostwriter who Melania was said to have consulted when she was tearing up and re-doing the speech.

Trump campaign blaming ghostwriter Meredith McIver for Melania plagiarism scandal

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

The thing about Kimberlin Brown is that she is one of those people who will overlook anything as long as they can get tax cuts and be allowed to pay lower wages. I don't think she's a racist like a lot of Trump supporters, but she's willing to overlook bigotry for reasons of dollars and cents. When it boils down, that really is no better than actually being a bigot.

• Members

I was thinking this too, even though I legitimately feel for people who are running small businesses.  I think part of it is these people tell themselves that there aren't any consequences to other people's racism. I think that's far from true this time around and that's why Justice Ginsburg spoke up. Maybe she shouldn't have, but I personally can see why a Jewish woman felt the need to speak out against the kind of danger Trump is unleashing on our society.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

I have admiration for small business owners who pay their employees a fair wage for the work they do.

Just like people took a hardline with the foreclosures and said that some people just couldn't afford the houses they had, I also feel that if you can't afford to pay your workers, then maybe you can't afford to run a business. 

Someone just mentioned that in using Trump Organization letterhead and Trump Organization employees, the campaign used corporate resources which are not legal.