Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My dream candidate is Michael Bloomberg but he can never win.   I just find him as someone who is very smart, very competent and usually very wise.  He told the city of NY that nobody needs extra big sized coke and sugar laden drinks and he was banning them so everybody wouldn't be obese thereby putting a strain on the city's medical staff.   Of course everybody was against that because it isn't the government's job to be your mom, but the truth is nobody needs extra big tub-sized cokes with 2000 calories.   I wish he could win, and I bet he does too.

• Members

Ratings. The American cable 'news' channels have given up all pretence of being journalists practicing journalism and have whored themselves for ad revenue which equals ratings which equals money. CNN, MSNBC and That Other Network helped the rise of this jerk while only the net newsites were truly fact checking him and Clinton. these three channels didn't even cover anything really negative about Trump until he called a reporter a 'sleaze' at that infamous Trump U. press conference....so his bigotry, lies, racism and sexism were cool until he said something about reporters...and THEN they got offended. anyone watch Morning Joe? How many times have they not either brought up something or defended his God-awful behavior until he banned WaPo and went off on that reporter? Now they take every chance to just rip him to shreds. 

• Members

As someone who lived in NYC during part of Bloomberg's mayoral tenure, I honestly could not vote for him. He did some things well (i.e. beautification in NYC, most quality of life issues were pretty good and at least he didn't exacerbate the issues between police and the community as Giuliani did) but  despite promises to lower the rate of homelessness, the homelessness problem (many of the city's homeless population have mental/drug addiction illness, which is manifesting itself now) exploded under his watch, and many people left the city because it became very unaffordable for many and affordable housing diminished while luxury housing expanded. In fact, I was just reading that there is now a glut of apartments catering to luxury tenants, which is why some construction of luxury high-rises has slowed, even though there were contracts in the pipeline pre-de Blasio. The Bloomberg administration encouraged Rich Russians and Saudis with opaque financial/identity accounting to buy real estate in NYC inevitably driving up prices and eating up available square feet. 

JMO, but I think the failure of the sugary drinks initiative had much to do with Bloomberg's sometimes condescending and patronizing tone (he was the one who said that NYC could never have enough billionaires moving in because everyone benefits, while never explaining how). Philadelphia just successfully passed it's own tax on sugary drinks. One thing that the mayor of Philadelphia did was to not try to lecture people about how this needs to happen for their own good, he simply told them, the city intended to use the tax dollars to help fun pre-K and education and health programs for low income residents.

I can respect Bloomberg's stance and actions on gun control reform but they have unfortunately been mostly unsuccessful but for all of our sakes, I hope he's successful with this.

I remember about a year or so ago, he was mulling a move to London. I wonder where he stands on the Brexit issue?

• Members

Wasting taxpayer dollars on baseless witch hunts needs to stop. Hillary Clinton was not indicted because she didn't break the law. It's time to move forward

Donald Trump is being accused of a raping a minor, yet no one is complaining about that. Shows how biased a lot of folks are.