The Politics Thread

• Members

Funny how he was only unhappy over that when it blew up in his face. 

The Breitbart implosion is very satisfying. They are a phony "conservative" organization, probably only a step above !@#$%^&*] Carlson's Daily Caller in terms of respect they have even on the far right. Breitbart himself was a pretty nasty man (just look up the Shirley Sherrod story) but I doubt the ship would have cracked up this much if he were still around. It shows the dilemma of these far right purity groups - are they superior to Trump (who is not a "real" conservative, after all), or beholden to his star power and iron fist?

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was disturbed by Hillary's praise for the Reagans and AIDS awareness, less so because I think she's some closet homophobe (I think she and Bill, like most mainstream Democrats, were fine with the idea of gay rights and fundraising dinners with A-list gays, but wary of the electoral cost and likely had no close intimate interaction with lgbtetc. people), but because it made me wonder if she's slipping a bit mentally from all the years of stress and battle. 

(some Sanders supporters claim this will enrage "millions" of gay Americans, but I think most have more important things to worry about, and the generation most likely to be hurt by it is also pragmatic enough to stay where they are)

Anyway, these tweets are probably the best summary I've seen of the situation:

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/12/11210044/clinton-reagan-hiv-aids-lgbt

• Members

Funny. I was "with Shonda" when she was "with Obama" 8 years ago. I had a chance to meet and speak with both Shonda and Kate Walsh when they stopped by the campaign office. Perhaps, she felt, as I did, that we needed to go with Obama's momentum, and Hillary could have 2016, giving the Democrats reign for a time to come.

However, I don't think anyone could have predicted the complete implosion of the Republican party. I remember just before 2008 thinking the Democrats never could "get it together." I still think the Dems do not have as strong a position as the Republicans; it's just that the Republicans have tipped into crazy-land. 

Edited by cct
misspelling

• Members

Lol I didn't realize there was this much rage directed at Nancy Reagan until she passed and this minor Hillary controversy popped up.....

im still wondering why Kasich is in the race. Does he really think the establishment is going to nominate him at the convention over Trump and Cruz and he'll manage to convince those voters to stay involved? I highly doubt it. 

• Members

Kate McKinnon is quickly overtaking Amy Poehler as doing the best Hillary impersonations, that was so :lol:.

Larry David did a funny skit about Bernie where he talks about the similarities between Bernie and Millenials- both have huge plans but neither have an idea of how to get them accomplished.  I wish I could find the clip because it was so funny!

• Members

When I look at the intensity and level of hate at those Trump rallies for anything that isn't white & Christian, I thank heaven above that I live in a tolerant city like Chicago (yes, the very city that erupted in chaos last Friday, which I drove past on my way home from work). It is truly scary how much intolerance, ignorance, and bigotry there is out there. Yes, the ignorance can be found anywhere, but at least in larger cities, those with common sense and tolerance outweigh the a**holes.