The Politics Thread

• Members

Hey Eric...thanks for the correction. I always get the twins mixed up lol...

I think Texas is fools gold this cycle....but maybe it's cuz I'm still burned by the Wendy Davis race a couple of years ago. 

I just wish Bernie would be reasonable and drop out after Super Tuesday assuming Hillary has a ridiculously strong showing that day. It's just better for the party and to allow her to fortify herself again for the general election. 

They also said Georgia was a potential senate pick up two years ago for Miss Nunn and it ended up being lost. I saw Clinton focus on turnout in the typical battle ground states including NC and make sure Florida or Ohio isn't in play because of Kasich... 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree very much. I feel like Democrats don't pay attention to us at all until it is too late. One thing I'll give Donald is that he's been working on the GOP constituents here in GA a lot. He's visited here twice since announcing his bid for the White House and I am sure he'll do it a couple of more times before Nov. If I am not mistaken, HRC and Bernie have only been here once a piece. Bernie's was sometime back in late 2015 and Hillary was just at Morehouse. I have no clue why they haven't reached out to Jimmy Carter to help direct them to other areas in GA besides Atlanta to encourage and lock down our votes. 

Michelle Nunn blew her chance at winning when she sat her ass in an interview (or rally) and skirted around a question as to whether or not she voted for Obama (in '08) and whether she agreed with his policies. She tried her best to separate herself from him and it backfired big time. Hardly no one turned up for the mid-term elections and voted for her. I think her actions somewhat ricocheted and screwed over Jason Carter for Governor b/c no one went out to vote. 

• Members

I don't think any Democrat running in 2014 had much of a chance - Kay Hagan, senator from NC, was said to have run a nearly-perfect campaign, and still lost to a smarmy dumbass from the loathed state legislature. 

With that said, I kept reading over and over what a terrible candidate Wendy Davis was. Texas was a huge longshot anyway, but she did herself no favors.

• Members

Really? I'm 1hr 45 mins from Valdosta but at least he chose a proper college to address his constituents. I'm just curious as to whether the sizable African American student body (about 35% last time I checked) will troll his event. :P I hope they do but I doubt it. It'll be filled with all of GA's backwoods finest. :rolleyes:

• Members

So tired of hearing Rubio and others say I've got a plan for blah blah blah…go to my website at blah blah blah….NO….tell us your plan for so and so….

And can Rubio stop saying he is going to get rid of Obama Care….He says that every time…..he is like a broken record that skips and skips...

• Members

I love seeing people stand up to Trump and the nuts at his rallies. Those black lives matters protesters were very brave. Thank God there was no mob violence. Trump has some of his people so riled up I was really fearing the worst.

I wish people like Mitt Romney would stop talking about a third party candidate. Just get some integrity and say you would sooner vote for HRC than someone who won't even disavow the KKK.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Trump has now blamed his non-denouncement of the KKK on "a very bad earpiece" during the interview. He has since 'officially' disavowed them but continues retweeting white supremacist Twitter accounts.

The Atlantic has more on the Republican civil war and panic over Trump.

• Members

I give Romney some credit.  No one in the party was standing up to Trump and Romney has this weird status as a temporary leader of the party until someone else is nominated.  At least he is trying.  Paul Ryan is the highest ranking republican elected official in the country and his party is in crisis and he is nowhere to be found.  There was a senator who did say today he would vote for Hillary, so maybe that will give some other senators cover.   The republican party has to decide what it wants its future to be, and after almost 200 years it might be time to go the way of the whigs. 

• Members

From an outsider's point of view, what I don't get is how someone like Donald Trump got this far in the presidential race in the first place? Is it that just anyone off the street can decide they want to run as long as they have support? It's just baffling to me that it seems to just be a free for all. My only reference for Donald Trump before this (and it's probably the same for most Australians of a certain age) is as a buffoon that gets made of fun on Saturday Night Live and him hosting The Apprentice. That this ignorant, racist, and seemingly extremely unqualified man is even close to being president of the US is rather shocking and scary to me.

American politics gets a lot of attention here and everyone is basically terrified of the thought of any of the conservatives/Republicans running the US and what it could mean of the rest of us since, like it or not, the US basically sets the standards for the rest of the world. People are practically begging any American expats that they know to go back to the US during the election to try and make sure it doesn't happen.

Also, can someone explain to me how Ronald Reagan become the hero of the conservative/Republican movement in the US? He is basically universally reviled and detested in Australia and growing up here and South Africa, we were pretty much taught in school that he was a horrible person and president and as a big reason the rest of the world started to hate the United States. Seeing him held up as the hero/deity/saviour of the conservatives in the US is I think pretty frightening to a lot of other countries.