The Politics Thread

• Members

I don't even think it'll get to that point. While I am not much of a conspiracy theorist, I wouldn't be surprised if something unfortunate happened to Pumpkinhead before it got to that point. 

Please register in order to view this content

This is Washington D.C., and I've always compared them to Slytherin in Harry Potter. Those bitches engage in the "dark arts."  I would not be surprised if Kumquat Man was "removed" in some eerie manner. 

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

There have also been several drone crashes in Turkey and I think half of what we use there is now damaged. I'm not sure.

I really do wonder if someone is hacking these tech systems and we just don't have the capability now to even be able to figure it out.

• Members

So, Trump won't be disclosing deployment numbers and people are wondering about transparency. Did anyone expect transparency from the likes of the Trump administration??

In other news and views, Trump has certainly brought these folk out from under their rock.

Survey: 9 percent call neo-Nazi views acceptable

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I don't believe it took Trump many meetings over many months to devise his "strategy."  IMO, what he intends to do sounds a lot like what Bush, Obama, and yes, even Crooked Hillary did or would do.  Regardless, it's a total reverse on what he promised to do throughout his campaign.  If Trump Nation were smart (HA!), they would nail him for going back on his word.

So, increased troops -- although, how many more, is anyone's guess -- and no timetables.  Moreover, we're not in the nation-building business anymore.  We're done training the Afghans how to fight Al Queda (sp?), ISIS and the Taliban.  Instead, we're getting back in there (after Obama had managed to roll back the levels of deployment by the time he had left office) and we're gonna...keep killing terrorists, I guess?  And the only way we'll know if and when we're successful is if things look good on the ground...which could be next year, or twenty years from now.

Oh, and we're gonna make Pakistan and India pull their weight.  ("But be nice," as Dalton from "Road House" would say.)

I'm sure that really comforts a nation with a generation of teens who has never known a time when there was no War Against Terror.  But, Trump feels our pain, so, of course, Trump Nation is behind him all the way.

Edited by Khan

• Members

At this rate, with no timetables and no idea of the maximum number of troops we are re-deploying, I'd say we're about to make a mess even messier.  Frankly, no matter when we finally pull out of Afghanistan, I have a feeling the area will fall to the opposition much like Vietnam did when we finally had to admit to ourselves we couldn't win the war.

WaPo: Trump Announces "Modest Increase" in Troops in Afghanistan

• Members

To add to that-

The U.S. (and not just the elite) has become very comfortable with the idea of a permanent underclass.

Many people who live in shelters are working, many people who used food stamps are working-- they just don't make enough money from their jobs to support themselves (and/or family) from the money they make from their job.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Anyone who recommends getting a massage in the same breath as saying you or I are "out of touch" loses all credibility.

Good read.

The thing that always gets me is this attitude (mostly from conservatives) that low-wage jobs are just stepping stones to "actual careers."  You're supposed to strive to do better, they say. A tone, reflected by those who asked the two women in that article why they didn't just go back to school and earn the degrees that will net them better paying gigs.  (Which is ironic, since those on the right have adopted their anti-higher education stance.)

However, as Fran Marion says, those who don't understand why low-wage workers don't just look for better paying jobs are missing the point.  Out of those who work part-time and low-paying jobs, many would probably LOVE to do better, to have more financial stability for themselves and their loved ones.  However, the sad reality is that the majority simply don't have any options other than to keep working in fast food, retail, and other low-paying industries.

Even community colleges cost money to attend -- and that's on top of ever-increasing prices for food, rent, utilities, gas, etc.  As it is, these people are barely scraping by, and now you want them to take out even more of their dwindling income to attend college?

And trust me, having a degree is no guarantee that you will, indeed, land a better job in the end.  Take it from someone who has a masters' degree and who hasn't been employed even part-time since 2007.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I've seen this on my social media feeds many, many times.  And not surprisingly, this viewpoint is most loudly shared by "Christians".  Can you imagine that?!?! 

Please register in order to view this content

I guess they forgot about that lil verse that says it's easier for a camel to pass through an eye of a needle than a rich person to get into heaven.  But whatevs. 

me thinks someone at the FEC may not like the great salmon tinged big mouth