Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That CBO score for the Senate GOP healthcare bill is dreadful, both the House and Senate GOP's Unaffordable Healthcare bills are pure disaster!  They should be embarrassed by this.

Perhaps the only way to fight a so-called billionaire is with another billionaire but I'm a bit unsettled by all the apparent power that multi-millionaires and billionaires seem to wield in changing/creating public policies that affect us all.

To a certain extent, former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg was one of the key actors in this activity. He certainly ushered in an era of billionaires shaping policies in NYC (see: Barry Diller).  This may not necessarily be a good thing all the time though.

Bloomberg’s Next Anti-Washington Move: $200 Million Program for Mayors

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I think if you have a billionaire who truly understands that what we are, are a consumer driven economy and that helping those other than the 1% as FDR did is the only way to prosperity it's great.  FDR stood up to people from HIS OWN CLASS to help working people, and people need to understand, those people built our national and state parks, added electricity to local communities, built airports, subway systems across the county, built infrastructure in rural communities, people who think the Koch brothers would do any of this are living in a fantasy land. See Kansas for case number 101 on this.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Dear God, me too.  There are not many billionaires who know what the average person's life is like. You see every day how so many celebrities lose touch. Having more money then a person can truly conceive of has the same effect, if not worse, imo. 

The billionaire I have the most respect for is Warren Buffet (yes, partly because of AMC), but also because I've seen some of how he lives, how much he gives and how he treats people around town. Even he has made money off the backs of the truly poor recently (modular homes with insane interest rates).  Add to that his daughter said he didn't start giving more money away sooner because accumulating it was a game to him. It's life and death to hundreds of millions of people in this world, but even the best billionaires are so far removed it's all just a game. At least he's pledged to give it all away when he passes. Just my opinion obviously, but I hate seeing them have such a huge role in government.

• Members

NP at all Jane...I know this person and some others tick you off, and its HARD not to respond. but al they want to do is hijack the thread. everything posted was like you said, before '65. and blacks are STILL waiting on 40 acres and a mule. put this person on ignore....that is now what I do. and it has nothing to do with a differing viewpoint....but if someone won;t listen and have a civil discussion, bump them.

• Members

Nice try, making it sound like the whole thing is a fraud. This is one event. I'll even link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2017/06/26/three-cnn-employees-resign-over-retracted-story-on-russia-ties/?tid=pm_opinions_pop&utm_term=.f5d15632aed2

But in fairness, these three SHOULD LOSE their jobs for this. But this does not negate the rest of the investigation.

In any case, I'm not sure why I'm bothering. Maybe hoping for some light to come through. But forget it. I'll re-initialize the filter for the sake of thread harmony.

• Members

I mean, if you want to engage by all means go for it. I appreciate that. I guess all I'm saying is there's a difference having a passionate discussion with someone with a differing viewpoint, and someone who just pops in to stir up and try to hijack the entire thread.