Toups

The Politics Thread

15,184 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, marceline said:

The wheels are already coming off of his overseas trip.

"President Donald Trump has canceled a planned visit and speech at the ancient mountain fortress of Masada in Israel after authorities told him that he could not land his helicopter on top of the UNESCO-listed site.

Instead, Trump will now deliver a speech at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. It comes after an Israeli Air Force (IAF) regulation that prevents helicopters landing at the summit of the Masada site, according to Israel’s Channel 2 broadcaster.

Unlike former presidents who have made the trip, such as George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, Trump declined to land the helicopter at a base of the historic site and then take the cable car up, preferring to cancel the visit altogether."

He is just so gross.  He'd probably think he could land his helecopter on the Parthenon if it had a roof.   

8 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

They say one shouldn't speak ill of the dead, so I'll just conclude by saying "No words".

Or, to paraphrase Bette Davis' quote upon Joan Crawford's passing:

"Roger Ailes is dead. Good." 

30 minutes ago, MissLlanviewPA said:

Or, to paraphrase Bette Davis' quote upon Joan Crawford's passing:

"Roger Ailes is dead. Good." 

Yes.  My Mother said only to speak good of the Dead.  Roger Ailes is Dead.  Good.

And I will be that BIG of a *itch.

At this point it doesn't matter who Donnie chooses to run the FBI. That person will never have the respect of the rank and file. They will essentially be a figurehead who at best is treated like an obstacle to work around or at worst the subject of the investigation itself.

3 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

As if we aren't getting enough queasy '90s flashbacks, it's the return of Joe [!@#$%^&*] Lieberman. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/18/joe-lieberman-fbi-frontrunner-238563?lo=ap_b1

I guess the FBI will be sure to crack down on violent video games.

He's also 75 years old.  Is it a requirement to be an old white guy to be appointed by Trump?

He doesn’t really want to go.

In recent days, Mr. Trump has groused to several friends that he is not looking forward to leaving his new White House cocoon for high-profile, high-pressure meetings with dozens of world leaders in unfamiliar settings.

At one point, he barked at an aide that he thought his first tour abroad should be only about half as long. He will have to abandon his well-known preference for sleeping in his own bed (or in one at the hotels or golf resorts he owns) as he hops between Saudi Arabia, Israel, Belgium, Italy and the Vatican — all places without a Trump-branded property.

[...]

But even as he sat with briefing books and stacks of news clippings about global events, Mr. Trump has generally just skimmed through, according to several people familiar with his preparations. Instead, he has focused on the chaos swirling around his White House.

In an attempt to capture his interest, aides threaded Mr. Trump’s own name through the paragraphs of one of the two-page memos they wrote for him.

9 minutes ago, marceline said:

We've hit 1000 pages y'all! Lets celebrate!

Trump (and his administration) is gonna make us hit another 1000 pages before he is even out of office. <_<

1 hour ago, JaneAusten said:

He's also 75 years old.  Is it a requirement to be an old white guy to be appointed by Trump?

Yes, but it helps too be rich too.

WASHINGTON — President Trump called the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, weeks after he took office and asked him when federal authorities were going to put out word that Mr. Trump was not personally under investigation, according to two people briefed on the call.

Mr. Comey told the president that if he wanted to know details about the bureau’s investigations, he should not contact him directly but instead follow the proper procedures and have the White House counsel send any inquiries to the Justice Department, according to those people.

After explaining to Mr. Trump how communications with the F.B.I. should work, Mr. Comey believed he had effectively drawn the line after a series of encounters he had with the president and other White House officials that he felt jeopardized the F.B.I.’s independence. At the time, Mr. Comey was overseeing the investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.

Those interactions included a dinner in which associates of Mr. Comey say Mr. Trump asked him to pledge his loyalty and a meeting in the Oval Office at which Mr. Trump told him he hoped Mr. Comey would shut down an investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn. Mr. Trump has denied making the request.

The day after the Flynn conversation, Reince Priebus, the White House chief of staff, asked Mr. Comey to help push back on reports in the news media that Mr. Trump’s associates had been in contact with Russian intelligence officials during the campaign.

Mr. Comey described all of his contacts with the president and the White House — including the phone call from Mr. Trump — in detailed memos he wrote at the time and gave to his aides. Congressional investigators have requested copies of the memos, which, according to two people who have read them, provide snapshots of a fraught relationship between a president trying to win over and influence an F.B.I. director, and someone who had built his reputation on asserting his independence, sometimes in a dramatic way.

More at link.

Edited by Vee

1 hour ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

Trump (and his administration) is gonna make us hit another 1000 pages before he is even out of office. <_<

Speaking of un-diverse and inept administrations, the recently installed president of Brazil, Michel Temer, reminds me of Trump because under Temer, all the Blacks and women who had been in Dilma Roussef's administration were gone after she was removed from office, only to be replaced by only White guys.

Even the presidential office for Women's affairs has not one woman there.

But there may be many more similarities between Trump and Temer and this one, in particular, is one I hope for:

Leaked recordings are trouble for Michel Temer

With the mess going on in this country, people not realize that in Brazil, people were in the streets today calling for Temer to be removed from office. How ironic, given that Temer was very vocal in calling for Rousseff's ouster. 

Please, please, please do it.

President Donald Trump, frustrated by his aides’ handling of the multiple scandals engulfing the White House, is turning to the comfort of his old campaign advisers.

Former officials including Jason Miller, David Bossie and Corey Lewandowski have slid back into the president’s group of advisers as Trump has chafed at the steady stream of damaging leaks and critical blind quotes that have flowed out of the West Wing.

While it’s not clear any of these old hands will ultimately land a job in the White House, Trump has been weighing a major staff overhaul, according to multiple people familiar with the matter, and has openly called his current press team “incompetent.”

Those close to Trump say it may be time for the president to make a change.

“I’ve known the president for 40 years, I consider myself a hard-core Trump loyalist,” said former campaign adviser Roger Stone. “I look at the White House staff list and I know two people on the staff. He has surrounded himself with quislings, and they leak like a sieve. He beat the establishment and then he immediately hired them, that doesn’t make any sense.” 

In recent days, some of Trump’s top campaign aides — some of whom were ousted — have made an appearance at the White House.

Bossie, a former deputy campaign manager who briefly ran a pro-Trump super PAC, sat in a meeting on Monday morning during which Trump blasted press secretary Sean Spicer and communications director Mike Dubke for their handling of the fallout of Trump’s firing of former FBI Director James Comey, according to a White House official and an outside adviser. 

Another White House official confirmed Bossie’s presence, but disputed the nature of Trump’s displeasure. "It was more out of frustration, not anyone, directed at the media, not the people who work there," the official said. 

Meanwhile, Lewandowski, who was pushed out as Trump’s campaign manager after a power struggle with campaign chairman Paul Manafort, was spotted in the West Wing lobby on Tuesday, according to two White House officials, as Trump’s aides were dealing with another damaging report that Trump allegedly shared highly classified information with Russian officials. 

Lewandowski declined to comment on whether he met with Trump in the Oval Office.

A White House official said that Trump has floated the idea of bringing back his longest-serving campaign manager, who recently resigned from his lobbying shop Avenue Strategies amid allegations that he appeared to be selling access to the White House. He has told people that the president has asked him to “bring order” to Trump’s feuding White House staff, according to a GOP operative briefed on the situation. 

The operative said Lewandowski is already talking up the idea that he has been helping “broker” conversations between the White House and other prospective new staff — something Lewandowski denied.

"I have never said the things you are reporting," Lewandowski told POLITICO. 

Trump has also turned to his former campaign communications director Jason Miller for messaging advice, as his frustrations grows with Dubke, whom Trump believes is an ineffective defender and advocate, according to four people with knowledge of the situation.

Miller, who has visited the White House multiple times and regularly talks with Trump by phone, has become one of the president’s favorite surrogates and informal advisers. Trump has openly mused about taking Miller on in Dubke’s role as communications director, according to an outside adviser, but Miller has told friends in the administration that he plans on remaining on the outside.

The White House declined to comment. 

Many of the loyalists Trump is increasingly turning to were frozen out during the transition when chief of staff Reince Priebus, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee, brought on a slew of his own staffers.

Within the White House there's a clear divide between RNC staffers, who critics say are preoccupied with protecting Priebus, and the rest of the staff, who former RNC staffers say don't have the political and governing experience to run the White House. 

Many hoped that chief strategist Steve Bannon would be a champion for campaign loyalists, but he has shown little interest in building an extensive staff network within the administration the way Priebus has, according to allies and White House staffers. 

It’s not clear, however, that Trump is ready to formally bring his old campaign advisers into the West Wing. Trump has floated the idea of staff shakeups, especially regarding Priebus and Bannon, since early in his presidency, but he has yet to pull the trigger on dramatic personnel changes.

And some wonder whether nostalgia is driving Trump’s contact with his former advisers.

"It's less about bringing back old campaign aides and more about missing the days when he trusted his staff," said one close adviser.