John F. Kennedy

Sundance

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just had my 2nd birthday and living in holland at the time when it happened. (Now living in Australia.

My brother was named after him.

Growing up JFK always fasinated me.

As I got older and all my friends wanted to go to Europe I wanted to go to the USA and in particular Arlington Cemetry and I did get the chance to go.

(Sorry about my spelling)

• Members

I was 11 yrs old and in the 6th grade. We had just gone to lunch and then we were quickly sent back to our classrooms. I went to Catholic school, so we all filed into church to pray. We were sent home early and had the rest of the week off. We were able to watch everything on TV; the funeral, the march to arlington, the caisson, the unmanned horse. Jackie Kennedy walking behind the carriage that carried the casket. What I remember most was that everyone was sad, my mom, dad, aunts uncles, everyone. We saw Jack Ruby shoot Lee Harvey Oswald on TV right when it happened. As I think back, it was surreal. I actually saw history unfolding and as an 11 year old it had some impact. But being 11, my mind was on 11 year old things, like being outside cause I had all those days off from school :P

• Members

My mother constantly tells the story about when JFK was killed. Her father called her at her office and told her. She didn't even put the phone down and stood up at her desk at raised her voice to tell all the other secretaries that Kennedy was shot. Everyone looked at my Mom like she was nuts but then everyone else's phone started to ring. They all crowded around a TV to watch the news. They closed her office and she said everyone was crying and upset. No one had to come into the office until after the funeral unless they wanted too and a lot did what my Mom did and went to Church

• Members

I was in first grade. There was an announcement over the loud speaker that the president had been shot and we all were sent home early. For some reason, I remember thinking he would be OK, but I can't remember if it was said by the school or we all just that. I walked home from school and my sisters and brother were already home too. It was on the television that he was dead. My parents were out of town, and a friend was staying with us. They called us on the phone and talked about it.

At the time, there was no cable and televisions were mostly black and white. I remember Walter Cronkite being very emotional. There was a special edition of our newspaper that said the president was shot, and another one that said he had died and then there was another one that said Johnson was president. They must have been cranking those things out by the minute. It couldn't have been easy because the technology was so different then, but also there was an afternoon newspaper. We had a morning newspaper then and another one that we got every afternoon.

We drove downtown and people were watching the news at the Sears store. Thinking back on it, it was all very surreal. I remember everything and everybody was just so quiet.

Archived