‘DAYS’ bloodbath on the horizon!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Lauren is indeed getting a pink slip I am very, very disappointed. I knew time was running out for the FABULOUS Lauren Koslow...her contract comes due in January...Kate dying of cancer makes sense storyline wise, lung cancer isn't often beaten, I bet Dena knew these cuts were coming and decided to at least give Lauren something powerful to end her run on. She's been with the show since 1996 and has made magic with all the sh*t she's been given to play...she deserves to go out with some dignity.

It's time for Michael Bruno (Lauren's manager) to get his ass on the phone to Brad Bell! Margo Lynley is DESPERATELY needed at B&B! Brad should fire Lesley Anne Down and give Lauren a shot at recreating some of the Spectra magic.

• Members

It's pretty obvious they will get rid of Blake Berris - Nick is being written into oblivion! Sad, he is one talented actor DAYS can't afford to lose!

Steve Nichols and Mary Beth Evans? To be frank, Steve/Kayla this time around have been a real disappointment, they haven't recaptured the magic of the 1980s. And the writers completely fucked up by firing Matt Ashford in 2006. A Jack/Steve SL would have been great, those two actors had a lot of chemistry and real history.

Josh Taylor? I couldn't care less, he should have been dispensed with years ago, it's only because he's a buddy of Corday that Roman is still around.

Bryan Dattilo? Lucas irritates me, but Bryan has a big fanbase, it'd be dumb to fire him.

Lauren Koslow? Kate is a true soap bitch, but it's probably time she went elsewhere, I think they've done all they can with this character.

I assume Corday has to cut the budget to pay for Galen Garing/Eric Martsolf, and keep James Scott on the canvas?

• Members

Greg I used to be one of those fans who hold on to the end no matter what but after seeing GL die a slow agonizing death I am a firm believer now that it is best to put them down while they still have some dignity.

It's too late for GL to die with some dignity but it can't be for the other shows.

But some fans will hold on no matter what. And that is fine, but for me I would rather see a show die with dignity esp. a show that I have loved like GL and Days.

Folks we have all seen what has happened to GL. As the budget gets cut more and more the ratings won't come back up. GL cannot compete with the other shows anymore.

And it is clear after watching GL these last few years when you lose core cast members who are very much needed and you can't afford to hire the more talented actors it hurts. And it will hurt Days big time too.

• Members

Look at the ratings - Look who is on now and look how the ratings are up all of sudden.

All these veteran cast members come with big bucks. We rarely see them on screen so it wouldn't be bad to let them go or put them on recurring.

Evan, Scott has made it clear on numerous occasions that he doesn't care if he has to take a pay cut. It is all about they storyline that will decide if he will stay or leave. Hate him or love him, he has a huge fan base and I don't see Corday/Tomlin letting him go.

Gering isn't needed on the show, in my opinion. On the other hand, Martsolf is playing Brady and now Brady is back; so it would be stupid to let him go.

• Members

Sorry Rake but look at GL. Those big name vets are needed. GL seems so lost without direction most of the time because the characters that give the show roots and should be there just aren't. Those vets and familiar faces are the glue that holds any soap opera together.

All the fans of James Scott in the world won't make up for the fans and the continuity and history that Days will lose when it loses it veteran familiar faces.

Just look at what happened when Corday and Sheffer tried to cut the vets out of the picture in 2006. And I am not talking about just the big 4 here. I am talking about Caroline and so many others. A whole other dimension to the stories was gone.

It is just like Rick Bauer on GL. We all know his family and now that none of them are around Rick is a character that is lost on GL.

You do a ratings study on any soap opera in the last 2 years and see when they do get ratings jumps - it is when they use their whole cast as an ensemble.

Examples:

Jesse & Angie's wedding (AMC) - so much of the cast was used

The Metro Center Hostage Crisis (GH) -

One Life To Live's Tornado under Dena Higley / Todd's execution - only time OLTL got a boost under her and only time she used the whole cast and not just her picks and faves

Days in Feb with the plane crash - so much of the cast was used

Many people call it the stunts and that is a part of it, but only a small part. People see the characters they love and care about and not just the chosen few. Many times those characters are used as supports in these events but they are used. And used in scenes that they should be used in all year.

The big things that are wrong with GL right now are the characters they use, the faces that are not familiar to the audience, and the fragmented feel of the show where so many characters are cut off from their families. Those are obstacles that no matter what you do they are hard to overcome.

And that is what Days is heading into.

• Members

Between 1990 and 1993, DAYS lost Steve, Kayla, Shane, Kim, Frankie, Jack, Carly, Laurence, Peter Reckell (although he was recast), Isabella, Eve, April, Justin, Adrienne, not to mention the characters they wrote off like Melissa, Sara, Tanner, Molly, Ginger, Johnny.... If the show survived that and ended up thriving, the show can do it again. It will come down to good writing. Cast Cuts aren't going to hurt the show.

Archived