AMC: JR Martinez - Brot Monroe

• Members

JR Martinez has been cast as Brot Monroe. How long will he be staying on AMC ? Everyone seen to think Brot character is only going to be on for a short time. I disagree and here's why. Storylines are plan months in advance so Pratt would not have known that the GL actors were coming on the show. I think Pratt was planning a Taylor/ Brot love story from the very start and the network have force this Taylor/Jake pairing on him in hope of getting up the ratings. And I think they will make a big deal out of JR Martinez in hope of getting up the ratings and all their attention will be on Brot. It's all about RATINGS. Myrtle Fargate character was going be a short term character and look how long her character ending stay on the show !!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, Ricky Paull Goldin was signed to AMC in the middle of the strike, long before Pratt was in the picture.

Pratt created Taylor knowing that Beth Ehlers would be playing the role. She signed on to play Liza, and when he took over, he changed her character.

• Members

We don't know how this is all going to play out obviously but I do applaud AMC for bringing in a real veteran with an authentic and substantive story to tell. For the most part, I think they've dropped the ball with Taylor/Jake/Frankie and the whole Iraq issue but if they let Martinez unfold his story respectfully and honestly, since I'm sure "Brot's" story will be virtually identical to his own in many ways, they could make up for it big time.

• Members

I gotta say, he was on Good Morning America this morning and I was really impressed by him.

Granted, I haven't seen him actually act, but he's a very charismatic person on-camera, and his story is incredibly moving.

It feels almost disrespectful to talk about him like this - but I guess at some point we all have to separate JR the War Hero from the Actor. That's my only fear about this story. That somehow any negative remark is somehow going to be misconstrued as a disparaging remark against the man, or the war, or anything like that. What he does for public service outside of AMC is remarkable, and he's definitely gained a fan in me. But that doesn't mean I'm totally sold on this story yet, or on the character.

• Members

I just hope he can act. The daytime audience can be cruel and people are already turning on BE/RPE and their story. Frons isn't above using one of our vets for "points" and then throwing him to the wolves.

That said I assume he's short term. Jake/Taylor are "endgame" (Argh, how I hate that term.) He's probably got one of those 4-month contracts that are so in vogue at ABC these days.

• Members

Sounds like a great story in the tradition of the original stories Agnes Nixon told but I'm so sick of the bitching and griping and Republicanism of Taylor that I am almost sick of her. Also JR Martinez, I've read, is 25 in real life, so his casting imho is questionable since Beth Ehlers is 40ish. They should've casted someone older imho.

• Members

JR Martinez is amazing. His real life injuries have been written into the Brot character. All of what Brot has been through, JR went through. But yeah, bad name choice. I think that in my head, I will call him Bret.

Wasn't it revealed that Taylor is in her late twenties? I hated Gus and Harley and I hate Gus and Harley, Pine Valley version. I love, love, love Jake and Amanda. I hope that if JR is good, that they keep him around because this does have the makings of a potentially great storyline

• Members

He's no actor, but as Vee alluded to, neither are 90% of the models on daytime. So I say bravo to AMC for having the courage to go there, even if it is a little stunty, this imho is a "good" stunt. With a great director and a wonderful acting coach (not Darnell... why is Darnell so OTT lately, especially when he's policing, raising his voice randomly at people? How has he been coaching all these young actors? He needs to get back in touch with that wonderful naturalistic intimate quality he had, his acting is rather weird sometimes, the stuff with Angie tends to be great, but...) ANYWAY, if JRM is pointed in the right direction, he should turn out some amazing scenes. With someone to teach him how to channel that wealth of experience he's sitting on into the role of Brot, he'll have us sniffling, sobbing and snotting.

Archived