THE COLBYS

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I had forgotten that James Hougton was also on The Colbys besides Knots Landing. I floved him….

Ricardo Montalban was another bad/odd casting on The Colbys.

And Emma Samms was totally wrong as Fallon…they should have kept the Faux Fallon that Jeff thought was the real Fallon.

• Members

Do you think the Colby's failed cause it was too much like Dynasty? Spinoffs are difficult to make succeed in any genre...but shouldn't there be elements that set the spinoff apart from the parent show?

Knots landing and Dallas were similar yet different...same with Rhoda and Mary Tyler Moore.

• Members

1) THE COLBYS appeared to be too much like DYNASTY. It looked like a complete carbon copy. They even named it DYNASTY II, for God's sake (which I thought was an incredibly ego-maniacal thing for them to do)! It didn't seem to offer anything different than what viewers already got with DYNASTY.

2) The show came along at a time when primetime soap operas were starting to lose steam. People were getting tired of them. DALLAS was already on its ninth season, KNOTS on its seventh. They had been around forever.

3) This was at a point where DYNASTY had severely disappointed fans with the resolution of the Moldavian Massacre. The thin veil of deceit around the show was finally crumpling. The audiences/critics could no longer deny the show was sh!t. And that was when they introduced a spinoff. Really bad timing.

All this plus there could have been issues of timeslot etc.

As for DALLAS and KL... Wow, I don't think there were any similarities. At all. It's one of the reasons why the show was able to stand on its own two legs and eventually found success.

• Members

Joan Collins thought Dynasty 2 was a rip off of the original and refused to appear on the show. Dynasty 2 really hurt Dynasty ratings wise that and the Massacre storyline. After the first episode of the 85-86 Dynasty started dropping in the ratings although the cliffhanger and the season opener of 86-87 ranked very well in the ratings.

• Members

Shout Factory must be sniffing Adam Carrington's toxic paint with that ridiculous price. That irks me because I want to support such releases, but I can't in good conscience put The Colbys before about a dozen other things that need my $120.

• Members

I think the rationale behind the argument that TC hurt DYN was that the writers' attention was too split and their creativity got thinly spread over two shows already after several seasons of DYN. For me, TC is just different enough to get away with apparently recycled stories/characters. The similarities are clear, but it is titled Dynasty II so that's expected and why would they abandon their successful formula that won them a spin-off to begin with? I'm really pleased that DYN brought over TC characters in season 9, a brilliant move.

Edited by SFK