Titans

Matt P.

• Members

I'm currently watching the whole show (all 13 episodes) on DVD, and it's so boring and predictable.

The only cast members I enjoy are Jack Wagner, John Barrowman and Josie Davis.

Jason George as the token black cast member reminds me so much of Melrose Place's Rhonda Blair since both had only one scene per episode. While Rhonda at least had some sort of storyline, Jason's character is just there to prop up Chandler. I also can't stand that Ethan kid and that crazy girl he falls in love with.

I feel that the show was doomed from the beginning. Important things that should have been established in the pilot were mentioned as a sideline in subsequent episodes. For example, the fact that Chandler was adopted was first mentioned in episode 9 during a conversation between Gwen and Heather, but it was implied that it was a given fact from the get-go.

The same goes for Laurie and Jenny being twins which was first mentioned in episode 8 or 9. Before that, I didn't understand why Laurie would even care so much about her sister. Besides, I thought that Jenny was supposed to be 18 or 19 while Laurie looked at least 10 years older. Judging from her looks and style, Laurie always seemed to be very cold and cruel. I think she would have been a much better bitch than Heather.

Furthermore, it was never said why Gwen and Richard had a divorce. In episode 9, Jenny suddenly bursts out in tears that she feels responsible for the divorce because she saw Richard and another woman together and told Gwen about it. If the audience had known this before, it would have made Jenny's character and her antics more believable because prior to that revelation her alcoholism and drug abuse didn't make any sense whatsoever.

I have to say that I love the opening, though.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm think I might give the show a re-watch because I never picked up on all of that. I thought Chandler's adoption had been mentioned in the pilot.

I'd love to know where they were headed with it. There had to be a reason Chandler was adopted. Then they introduced the fact that Heather had been adopted too or some-such. I wondered if Heather was going to be Gwen's long lost daughter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Episodes 12 and 13 - the ones that never aired on NBC - were surprisingly better than the rest of the series.

At this point the producers obviously realized that Casper Van Dien and Yasmine Bleeth couldn't carry the show, so John Barrowman (Peter) and Lourdes Benedicto (Samantha) became the center of attention.

Jenny's change from victim to crazy bitch, backstabbing and framing Laurie, developed nicely as well. I also liked the Gwen/Jack romance.

If the show had continued after episode 13 and I had been one of the producers, I would have cut Casper Van Dien, Jason George and Kevin Zegers from the cast as they brought nothing to the show.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

bumping back up....

I watched the show when it came on... I think the reason a primetime soap will never work nowadays is because it takes time to rev up the engines. If it's true that #12/13 were much better then earlier episodes then that just verifies what I said.

I remember how disconnected all the stories were from one another... you had Laurie/Jenny fighting over the blonde himbo on one corner, you had Gwen on one corner, then you had Heather/Chandler/Samantha/Peter. Very little interaction.

Plus, while I love Victoria Principal, she just didn't have the chops to be a true soap opera bitch. You needed a Donna Mills/Joan Collins/Stephanie Beacham type. I heard once that Jaclyn Smith turned down the part before they went to Victoria Principal... not sure how she would have done... she comes across colder then VP but not anymore bitchy.

Still, the show had potential and it sounds like they were working out the kinks before NBC pulled the plug.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In addition to aviation and owning an internet dress company, what types of industries would you had Williams Global Enterprises be involved in?

What assets, businesses, and properties would you had Williams Global Enterprises own and operate globally?

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Oh wow, first Models Inc, now Titans! I think I'll enjoy Models a lot more. Be that as it may, I remember wanting Titans to succeed so badly, even though I didn't think it was especially good. But the salacious prime time Dynasty-like soap of it in the year 2000 was a thrill to me. Especially since we had just lost 90210 the previous Spring and Melrose the year prior.

Like Models, I don't remember a lot of the 'B' storylines, just the main players. Poor Perry King. Killed off yet another Spelling soap just after marrying someone half his age.

I remember not being too impressed with Jack Wagner's character. I thought the chick from Y&R/Charles In Charge and her sister were uninteresting. Totally forgot Jason George was in this. Oh yeah, Ingo was there!

Loved the opening theme! Loved.

I had hoped they'd work out the kinks, forge ahead past the bad stories, cut the dead wood, and become the Dynasty/Melrose of the new generation. Le sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What was gutting about Titans flopping was that Aaron Spelling basically admitted he was retiring the primetime soap concept. He seemed really disappointed with what happened with Titans.

Incidentally, Darren Star also had a show flopping on Fox called The $treet at the same time. That one had an absolutely ridiculous budget too as he was coming off the success of Sex & the City and was yanked off the air after a few episodes.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived