James E. Reilly Tribute

• Administrator

One of my favorite soap scenes ever and I'm glad it was Peter Reckell who go to do this scene with Kristian.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

I love the music that starts playing at 2:10

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, I don't think i should have read this post so soon after just finding out about his death. It just made me break down even more. Don't get me wrong, it was a great post. It was so heartfelt and I just really share your feelings about Reilly and his stories.

Believe it or not, this man saved my life. I was depressed for years after I had suffered some personal traumas that really affected me emotionally. DAYS OF OUR LIVES was my only escape. It kept me sane. When I was locked in my room for months because of extreme depression, it was his whacky, suspenseful, emotional, entertaining, and yes frustration storylines that actually helped me to not dwell on what was going on in my life. My depression was so bad that I had suicidal thoughts and as crazy as this sounds, do you know what stopped me from going through with these suicidal urges? I would think to myself "If I were to kill myself, then I wouldn't be able to find out when and how Marlena finally exposes Kristen, or when Kate is going to finally get her revenge on Sami, or when Carrie and Austin are gonna find out Sami's secret" I know it sounds pathetic but I was depressed and still a teenager who had a lot of problems. Anyway, I am much better now, much older, and no longer depressed and haven't been for years but I shudder to think that I may have just gone through with suicide if it weren't for my love for this show. In a weird way, its like God used whatever means he had to to keep me from making a terrible mistake. I don't know what to say. I am beyond sad because I guess even though I never knew Reilly personally, I was always grateful to him for being the conduit that helped save my life. Thank you James E. Reilly. Its funny that you never know the impact you have on people.

Anyway, I must say that my favorite storylines were the Kristen/John/Marlena and Sami/Austin/Carrie Triangle. But I loved the possession, maison blanche, the affair, the serial killer, vivian and her antics, jack/jenifer/Peter (when Missy Reeves was playing Jenifer), Stefano and all of his antics, Aremid, Sami hiding Belle's paternity, Paris, I just loved it all.

• Members

Can someone explain to me what Melaswen is? I watched the SS storyline (on and off) for shits and grins (I am sorry, it was so badly acted and written it was like Ed Wood came to daytime) and hung in there for the island and quite watching after the nonapayoff of the ending explanation...but dont know what Melaswen was.

I didnt watch his first run on Days, but the way everyone is talking it must have been like I felt when I was five years old and watching Dark Shadows..couldnt wait unitl the next day no matter how outrageous it was. However, I was suprised that his second run on Days was so "mean spirited," everyone was getting killed or talking about murder, no one mourned and his death's almost were like he relished killing the characters like Maggie and the jokes before during and after Alice' "death," were truly just downright "mean." Which was suprising as I liked Passion as a silly time waster...but, despite all the silly curses and demons, it was amazingly good natured and tounge in cheeck. Did Reilly not want to write for Days, was it because he didnt like Corday???

• Members

I first saw Days back in 1996 when it first appeared on Dutch television. It started with episodes from june 1993, just when Vivian buried Carly alive. While reading about the show in magazines (I didn't have internet at that time)I learned about coming up storylines like the possession and Kristen/Susan. I was a fan of this show written by a writer I only new by name because of the days of our lives end-credits.

One of his best written scenes is Vivian rolling and laughing on Carly's grave. Ok Vivian is my favorite character ever and Louise Sorel my favorite daytime actress, but the insanity and drama of that scene is something I wil never forget.

James E. Reilly first stint on Days was his best, but the ssk murders and especially Maggy's one on his second stint was outstanding to.

Thank you,

Rob

• Administrator

:o Wow. That is an amazing story, marlenafan. Thank you sharing that.

The island was Melaswen (new salem).

Ah, so you were another person who started watching DAYS during Buried Alive. It seems like that happened with a lot of people.

• Members

LOL..thanks Toups, it should have been obvious! Ahh, I miss Celeste cracking up and I actually, kinda liked Melaswen...it was creative and I was so relieved Alice and everyone were still alive!!! (yes, I am a dork!)

To you Reilly, I give you a Celeste send off..."Oh my God..NOOOOOOO...EVIL has come to SALEM!!! Spirits of Light protect us!!!

• Members

The Fug Girls pay tribute to James E. Reilly. They were major Passions fans:

http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_y..._days.html#more

Your Fugment of Zen: Days of our Fugs

Tragically, we just found out that James E. Reilly -- the former head writer of Days of our Lives and the chief scribe on the defunct soap Passions -- passed away at the ripe young age of 60. Anyone who reads this site regularly knows of our fondness for Passions, and Reilly gets the credit...

Favourite part:

"Watch as the devil inside her causes Marlena's clothes to FLY off her body! Enjoy as John's Famous Eyebrow reacts the only way it knows how! And get hugely squicked out at the way they have Marlena lying on the bed with her legs splayed!"

• Members

From SOD Sept 98

DAYS Exec Producer Ken Corday believes that former Head writer James E Reilly was inspired to create Kristin's lovable look-alike Susan Banks,when he realized that American teenagers' love for afternoon talkshows was bordering on obsession.

"Jerry Springer" and "Ricki Lake" were mandatory viewing for Jim,"he recalls,"because he wanted to see what mainstream middle America was yelling and screaming about.So he would see these talk show guests who are these completely normal hillbilly folk who just fascinate the rest of us in the country who aren't that way."

Laughs Corday,"Susan was patterned after that kind of person".

• Members

JER's DAYS were what got me into soaps in the first place.

I also watched Passions from day one.

I just hate his last years weren't the greatest. The man was simply fantastic back in the '90s. I hate how over the top it became.

His DAYS from 93-97 were classic soap storytelling at it's best. Period.

Archived