Britney Spears Thread

Toups

• Members

Maybe I am looking at a different hot 100 but tht Wiz Khalifa song is currently number one, followed by Uptown Funk (a really, really catchy tune and maybe the song of the summer)

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

As I said, her die hard fams may disagee, and that is who her twitter followers are, but she is too old for 14 yr olds, hasn't had a breakthrough hit in years, and the fact she is hiding in Vegas where all oldies acts go I think just illustrates my point. That's like saying Billy Joel is a current major artist because he sells out Madison Sq. Garden. Where are her hits, hits being those insscapable songs that defy charts and are heard everywhere? Uptown Funk is one, Hit Me Baby One More Time was another, but what was Britney's hit these last ten years that anyone knows anymore or is heard anyplace? Where will anyone hear this "song" unless they go looking for it?

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You can't say that she can't do the oldies circuit then refer to Vegas as the oldies circuit after it's been established that she's a huge hit in Vegas.

She's got tons of money and her main priority is raising her sons right now. There's absolutely nothing sad about that.

And a song doesn't have to be overplayed to death to qualify as a hit. Three of the four singles from Femme Fatale charted highly enough (top 10) when they were released and were successful. I don't understand what more is needed for a track to be called a hit.

Please tell me how Christina has exhibited more staying power, because I'm looking, and I can't see it. She's found a place as a featured artist, but that's a far cry from her heyday.

Edited by All My Shadows

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Article on the people Britney's been working with for B9 (not sure if that's an official title but don't believe so) and it all sounds so wonderful and promising! She may be putting together another good record.

LOL at the shade of "she's steering clear of Barbara Jean executive producer will.i.am" That's extremely smart!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Her last hit was in 2013 with Scream & Shout which peaked at #3, not exactly ancient - as it was the same year she released her last album. She could do worse. She hasn't charted recently because she hasn't released a new album since then. 

I don't know what you are talking about when you are talking about "ubiquitous hits", but Femme Fatale had three radio hits that all hit the top 3 of the Hot 100 and Top 40/Mainstream. "Hold It Against Me", "Till The World Ends", "I Wanna Go", and "Scream & Shout" were all top 3 hits of hers within the last 3-4 years. Britney is actually a bigger radio star post 2007 than she ever was in her early 2000's heyday. Most of Britney's earlier singles missed the Billboard Top 10 outside of Baby One More Time, Oops!...I Did It Again and Toxic. If you look through Wikipedia she has more #1's after 2008 then she did before it. 

Edited by Skin

• 4 months later...
  • Members

It will be interesting to see if she works with Dr. Luke on this album. He has certainly been a safe bet for her, but after the stuff with Kesha I don't know that it will go over well for her to work with him. Especially because Kesha wrote one of Britney's biggest hits in recent years.

• 4 weeks later...