The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the welcome.

Reading earlier posts about how Lydia Bruce originally received hate mail for her apparent crime of not being Bethel Leslie is an annoying reminder that online social media may make it easier and more common, but classless behavior among some "fans" has always existed. I will never understand that mentality and don't particularly want to. Hopefully she also received some positive feedback from viewers early on to balance out the bad.

As I'm starting to watch the Lydia-as-Maggie episodes, it is a little bit of an adjustment, as watching most recasts of major roles can be. I really enjoyed Bethel's Maggie and will miss her version, but I also like what I've seen so far of Lydia's Maggie and look forward to seeing more of her take on the character over time.

Edited by Dave_01

• Members

I really liked Steve and Karen today. She has a very modern outlook for 1968 and for classic soap opera. This show is really progressive and stands out from what I've heard and read about other soaps during this time period. All the characters are very well drawn and three dimensional. There are no mustache twirling villains or good girls versus bad girls. Look at Maggie... I feel badly for her, but her marriage mess is her own fault.

Rita Lakin was an excellent writer. I really wish that I could see fan mail from that time period, just to get an idea of how the audience was reacting to the show and her stories.

• Members

I can see what you're saying, but Maggie isn't alone in causing problems in her marriage. Matt has been so insensitive to her feelings and suspicions about Karen for months that he can't be called blameless. But then, that also goes back to how good the writing was. Matt may be the Chief of Staff and respected by his colleagues, but he's no saint. He's a man who has his flaws as well as his strengths, and James Pritchett was excellent at tapping into both sides of Dr. Powers' persona.

• Members

I organized clippings I found on newspapers.com regarding The Doctors early years (mainly 1963-1965). The format changed from an anthology to a once-a-week, 5-part, format on July 22, 1965. It appears that the format changed to a continuing story around March 1964.

• Members

Great job putting all of those summaries together. I wonder if Retro will go back and show those episodes, eventually.

The scenes in the Powers bedroom were great. Excellent writing and performances.

I had a weird moment watching the shows today. Watching this show growing up, I just assumed that Matt, Maggie, Steve, and Carolee were all the same age. I guess Steve is considerably younger than Matt and Maggie. Interns are what? Mid 20s?