The Doctors

• Members

Gil Gerard has the "hunk" factor but his acting is way below the usual standards of the show (although better than much of the acting on current soaps).  I never was interested in Alan the first time I watched him.  I hope I find him more interesting this time.  I'm not really looking forward to the 1974 stories.  I think things pick up (for me) in 1975 though.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not as familiar with this show, so I have to know: why does Ann Larimer become psychotic and lock away Carolee in that mental ward?  I'm watching an episode from Nov. 1973 right now, and it appears as if the two are friendly.

• Members

From what I've collected from reading synopsis, it boils down to Ann wanting Steve for herself. Ann marries Steve and whisks him off on their honeymoon when Carolee returns and all is revealed. SOD synopsis declares that Ann runs off (possibly pregnant w/ Steve's child) and never heard from again. 

From watching the aired episodes now, she was brought to town by Mona to break up Steve/Carolee, but she wandered into Nick's orbit instead. I don't think the Ann going bonkers story doesn't happen until around 76/77. Again, from reading SOD synopsis, those years seem very interesting with the Dancy clan, Greta/Billy, etc. You can read synopsis here...

• Members

I can't imagine GC liked the 1973 story either.  Ann is basically a doormat for Nick right now.  I have no recollection of her from this time although I remember the other stories.  She and Nick leave together in late 1974/early 1975 (to find a cure for Ann's soap-opera disease), and when she returns alone she is after Steve.

• Members

IDK, I just haven't been as impressed with the post-Lakin/Edelstein stuff as I'd hoped.  Too often, I find myself watching this-or-that character's dilemma and thinking, "This could be so quickly resolved if he/she weren't being SUCH an idiot."  And the less I say about Jimmy Lipton's clunky, exposition-heavy dialogue, the better.

But, hey, at least Gil Gerard's there now.  I just hope someone cures his phobia about wearing clothes.  Otherwise, it's gonna be strange watching Alan Stewart roam the halls of Hope Memorial wearing just a swimsuit.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I've liked a lot of the Pollack's stuff...but I do agree it isn't as character driven as it was under lakin/Edelstein.

I will say that the Pollack' s could write a climax like no one else...and I think perhaps if lakin/Pollack's worked together...it would have been dynamite.

Who knew Gil Gerald was hot back then

Please register in order to view this content

I'm most intrigued with how his wife will fit in.  She doesn't seem keen on Hope Memorial.

• Members

Thanks to @jam6242, more information from the Anthology era, including some cast information! 

"Unknown Title"   4/16/63

"Rev. Shafer must tell man he has failed police examination."

Chaplain Sam Shafer ...Fred J. Scollay

Man...Roy Poole

"A Single Tear"       5/28/63

Tommy Regan hurts his sister with a toy airplane, but doesn't shed a tear.

Tommy Regan...Larry Bleidner

Mrs. Regan...Joan Tompkins       GH, VL

Baby Regan...infant

Dr, Elizabeth Hayes...Margot Moser

"  A Penny For Your Doubts"    5/31/63

Nurse Jane Gibbs believes her malaria patient ex-serviceman Jim Burton is the killer police are looking for from a liquor store hold-up. Despite her feelings for him, she tells Chaplain Sam Shafer about her fears.

Nurse Jane Gibbs...Bonnie Jones

Jim Burton...Unknown

Chaplain Sam Shafer...Fred J. Scollay

"The Faint Heart Never Wins"   6/6/63

Al Finelli...Michael Baseleon             OLTL, AW, GH, FR

Rose __Finelli ...Louise Sorel    Santa, DOOL, OLTL, AMC, PC, KL, Beacon Hill(online)

Dr. Jerry Chandler...Richard Roat

"With Strings Attached"   6/11/63

Mrs. Frank Collins decides to honor her late husband by donating a million dollars to Hope Memorial for a new wing.  Of course, only if the wing is for the "right people".  Her son Paul doesn't want to see the money leave the family. Fundraiser Harris Thorpe attempts to come to terms that make everyone happy.

Frank Collins...Never Seen

Mrs. Frank Collins...Nancy Pollock

Paul Collins...Douglas Marland

Harris Thorpe...Allen Frank

Dr. William Scott...Jock Gaynor

"Send No Flowers"     6/17/63

A Mexican florist refuses to give information that could make the difference between life and death.

Mexican Florist...Unknown

"Unknown Title"   6/19/63

"Chaplain suspects head nurse is prejudiced against young Formosan nurse"

Formosan Nurse...Irene Yaah Ling Sun

Head Nurse...Unknown

"Give and Love"    6/25/63

While Agnes Tilford dreads leaving the busy atmosphere of Hope Memorial, Myra Wood can't wait to leave. She's afraid she'll be diagnosed with cancer after her surgery.

Agnes Tilford...Violet Dunn

Myra Wood...Joy Hodges

"A Darn Good Sport"   6/26/63

A circus acrobat trips over Dr. Jerry Chandler's bag and injures her knee. She sues him for negligence.

Circus Acrobat...Sherry Britton   (A well known Burlesque Dancer)

Unknown Character...William Hawley

Dr. Jerry Chandler... Richard Roat

"Barren Harvest"     week of 11/11/63

Executive...Mercedes McCambridge                 GL (radio),OMF

Executive's Husband...Whitfield Connor              GL, SS

Unknown Character...Martin E. Brooks                    GH,DAL, KL, SFT (2 characters), SS, LOL

"Two Love Affairs"     week of 1/13/64

Fred Dalton (tongue tied auto mechanic) and Sarah Kent (shy school teacher) find romance in the hospital.

Fred Dalton...James Luisi       Santa, KL, AW,DOOL

Daughter Dalton...Leslye Hunter

Sarah Kent...Loretta Lawrence

"Edge of Hope"   week of 1/27/64

Pa Thatcher, a gun toting faith healer, doesn't think his son needs medical help.  His daughter, Ellie Mae, defies him and offers her eyes to her brother.

Pa Thatcher...John Cullum                 EON, OLTL

Ma Thatcher...Madeline Sherwood           EON, OLTL, GL, SS

Ellie Mae Thatcher ...Linda Ross

Brother Thatcher...Unknown

"Unknown Title"        week of 6/1/64

Donna Barnholm, an asthma patient, volunteers for drug testing with Matt and Maggie, experiences side effects.

Andy Barnholm...Unknown

Donna___Barnholm...Unknown

Dr. Matt Powers...James Pritchett

Dr. Maggie Hansen Fielding...Ann Williams

After Anthology...some tidbits

4/15/65...Treasury agent questions Maggie about Kurt Van Allen

Treasury Agent...Unknown

Dr. Maggie Hansen Fielding Van Allen  ...Ann Williams

4/19 and 20/65...Bengo becomes a patient, he tells Maggie his story of Kurt's disappearance.

Bengo...Unknown

Dr. Maggie Hansen Fielding Van Allen...Ann Williams

• Members

I hope the show isn't too frustrating in 74 and isn't just about Alan and Margo or Nick and Ann. I wonder why they put Ann in Nick's orbit, but perhaps they needed someone for him, and she was the "lucky" one as they decided not to revisit Nick and Althea. (Why they didn't is anyone's guess.)

• Members

I'm currently up to the January 1973 episodes on youtube, and I'm finding the Pollocks' writing incredibly uneven, and at times just downright bizarre. It's still miles better than any of the current soaps, but the plotting and storytelling are all over the map, with so many missed beats. The whole Toni/Vito/Barbara thing was just a total clusterf***. I noticed that James Lipton just started appearing in the writing credits. I wonder if he was part of the problem, or brought in as a solution to tidy up some of the writing issues. Also, does anyone know why Nancy Barrett left the role of Cathy Ryker? Was she fired, or did she leave of her own accord? I thought she and Gerald Gordon had great chemistry. Holly Peters, her replacement, is good, but Nancy was able to transcend the writing and made her feel like a flesh-and-blood character. Peters' Cathy just comes off as a transparent plot device. Please, no spoilers.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

SPOILER.........................

I'm up to the end of 1973 and the writing for Carolee is all over the place. She confronts Mona and spends months trying to convince Steve that Mona is out to get her and break up their marriage. Steve even break away from Carolee for a while for her attacking his mother. Steve discovers everything by way of Dr. Croft spilling the beans and Mona is exposed. Steve then tells Mona off and tells her he can't forgive her what she has done to Carolee. Carolee then comes to Mona's defense and tells Steve he needs to forgive her because she is his mother and she has a right to her feelings. WHAT ?????????????????

• Members

By early 1973, the show is still compelling and there are still some nice character touches in the individual scenes, but I miss the character-based storytelling of Lakin and Edelstein. It seems as though the Pollacks can't tell one story without the villain being a mustache twirling psychopath (Dan Allison, Cathy Ryker, John Morrison), and it's getting a bit over the top and repetitive. I've also noticed a very subtle marginalization of Althea. I know Allen Potter will be gone by the summer of '73, and I'm wondering how that will impact the series.