The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The only fan club that I ever attempted to join was that of Diana Millay (Dark Shadows, The Secret Storm).

I saw it listed in a magazine and sent in my dues. I remember that the president lived in Missouri, possibly in St. Louis. He returned my money and told me that she had just completed her second run on Dark Shadows and that she was moving to Italy with her son, retiring from acting. About two years later, she had returned and was acting on The Secret Storm as Kitty Styles #1.

Mr. Gordon appears to have been a wonderful person to represent!

• Members

How great is this?! PLUS, the neat soap connections are that Marsha Clark eventually became a soap actress herself, with her big break coming by playing presumed dead patriarch Bill Bauer's illegitimate daughter, Hillary Kincaid Bauer, R.N., on Guiding Light! ALSO, her soap mother, Simone, was played by none other than The Doctors' own Laryssa Lauret!

• Members

Not only that, but Gerald Gordon and Marsha Clark both called Allen Potter "boss" at different points in time - when he was on TD and she was on GL. Marsha is from my neck of the woods - Cleveland - and I am familiar with Brandywine Road. There is a Brandywine Ski Resort not too far from Parma Heights. I wonder if the two kept in touch throughout the years.

• Members

Discovering the work of so many of these actors (many, sadly, are no longer with us) has been such a joy - especially Gerald Gordon, who before Retro began airing the reruns I'd only seen in a couple of episodics, like L&O and Perfect Strangers. He was at his best playing a man deeply in love as Nick was with Althea - and especially as a man deeply in love who was also deeply tormented. He and Liz Hubbard really were a magical acting duo. Soap couplings up that point, from what I've heard, read and observed from clips that still exist, were romantic but didn't necessarily have the extreme sexual chemistry that was a big part of the Althea/Nick relationship. Even the other main couplings on TD - Matt/Maggie and Steve/Carolee are filled more with sweetness than that extreme chemistry I mentioned.

Nick just looks at Althea with those brown eyes filled with love and just melts whenever she smiles at him. THAT'S what got lost from soaps somewhere along the way - SHEER ROMANCE!!!