The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for the great opinions. I, too, don't think Lakin would have skipped such an integral plot point. Makes no sense at all. Nonetheless, I'm just grateful I'm getting a chance to watch these treasures.

Edited by robbwolff

• Members

Yes and no, they knew the World Series was airing at 1PM, and that the first 4 games would play from Wed-Sunday, but the show had no way of knowing that it would go a full 7 Games. We have some strong confirmation that the Wedding aired on Monday Nov 11 and Tuesday Nov 12. The Timeline many are following seems off now, the 2 episodes today would be Oct 31 and Nov 1, and tomorrow 2 Nov 4 and 5, but it is looking like they will actually be Nov 11 and 12, which would be more than one missed episode.. Any Preemption on election day??

Retro just airs what SFM sends them as they are numbered, they don't check each unit before they air it, (Maybe they should)

Edited by Classicsoap

• Members

If it is the speculation I have made on a few The Doctors Facebook page or the Retro page, that's not quite what I said. The World Series was a known preemption, so they would have plotted out accordingly. They knew the first 4 games (The Minimum) were to be played Wed- Sunday, but they could not know whether the game would go 7 Games, so they may have plotted it based on being 4 games. If true then they would have had 3 extra Preemption. And that seems like what we had, The Friday Shower aired on Wendnesday according to a certain Timeline. It also went on for 3 days (maybe just in case it did go 3 extra games.

They would not skip an already produced episode, that was not the speculation, The speculation was the re-wrote some of the scripts because the powers that be wanted the wedding to air during Sweeps (which they were doing back then). Sorry this was supposed to have quoted Robbwollf

Edited by Classicsoap

• Members

Steve must have a thing for music boxes, as he also gave Carolee one for Christmas nearly a year ago (their time) - and of course, got the mobile for the baby's crib. I love the "wedding invitation" that Retro TV put on its FB page.

Susan, I think that was an actual church and not a set. The acoustics sounded different than they would on a TV soundstage. If it really was a church, I wonder which one they used (obviously it was somewhere in NYC).

Again, I love how Lakin/Edelstein have taken us through the Althea/Nick relationship of 1968. They started out the year with Althea's miscarriage and the hospital board hearing. Their love really started to bloom again in the spring after the Anderson case and hostage crisis, and then kicked into full gear with some help from the newly-arrived Penny. We saw their dinner dates (as a couple, or with Matt/Maggie or Penny), that epic, long-awaited kiss, the camping trip that went bust, Nick confiding in Matt that he was considering proposing, the actual proposal, her acceptance, telling Penny and their friends/colleagues, meeting with the minister, deciding where to go on the honeymoon, the presentation of the engagement ring, the surprise bridal shower (and the barhopping/bachelor party), shopping for wedding attire and now the rehearsal. So we have had one heck of a terrific buildup to the blessed event, and I can't wait to see the wedding episodes. We've gotten to go along for the whole ride (at least, since December 1967) and it's been a great ride to this point. No way would the soaps of now take us step by step through the whole courtship leading up to marriage.

Once the wedding/honeymoon is done, I'm guessing that's when the Liz/Townsend story will take center stage, as well as the birth of the Aldrich baby (and who knows how worse the state of the Aldrich/Werner union of logic will get by then). Not to mention it will be time for the Christmas and New Year episodes before long.

• Members

It is an impressive set. God, I loved the wedding episodes today. I'm such a softy that I was crying at points. Loved seeing Anna Ford out and about at the wedding, Nick firing Martha (again), and all the voiceovers during the wedding ceremony. Beautifully done! My favorite moment was a poignant scene where Althea's mom is smiling while watching her daughter get married and after reminiscing about her late husband. Directly behind her are Karen and Steve, miserable as ever. Steve's staring at Karen is once again fixated on Matt. An amazing moment. Brilliant direction!

• Members

The last few episodes have just been glorious. This may have been the most beautiful soap wedding I've ever seen, with the possible exception of Eden/Cruz's 1988 gala on SB, which was treated with as much fanfare as these nuptials from 1968 were.

The costumes worn by the wedding party...*sigh*. They could be worn today and still look as timeless as ever. My hat's off to the cast and crew - especially the set designers and costumers - who pulled together and gave the viewers one heck of a great event. Who would have guessed that a new generation would be falling in love with these two all over again over 45 years later?

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

By the way, Paul Raven, thanks for posting the photos. I can see why GG was cast as Andrew Jackson in the First Ladies Diaries: Rachel Jackson (opposite Fran Brill). I would LOVE to see that special (which also features David O'Brien) and the Edith Wilson one starring Liz Hubbard. Also on my wish-to-watch list is Carolee Campbell's swan song to acting, the daytime special This is My Son. GG, LH and CC all won Emmys for those specials. I wonder if those specials are still in existence somewhere. No luck on YT and the like, but I'll keep looking!!!