The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That would have cost them Millions more, as I understand it they have liscensed 2 years worth, going through 69. They may need the extra AD Revenue to pay for it. 2 years of the Doctors is like close to 500 episodes compared to maybe 60 for a Night Time show, which they Network gets more run Throughs to pay for it.

• Members

Not to mention it could be confusing for viewers as well, trying to keep up with two different eras of the show.

Penny, your well-intentioned though unwelcome plans have really come back to bite you this time! I wonder how Nick will come around.

Another sign of the times, but it was disturbing to see Maggie give pregnant Karen a drink - as it was to know that the fellas, who were out tying one on, were driving as well.

Here's a 1977 article about Carolee Campbell and David O'Brien. She had already left the show by then, but the two had reunited to act in a play.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1961&dat=19770319&id=FxYvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=towFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1228,4325520

• Members

Is it true that Retro only licensed 2 years worth of episodes? I am very grateful for what we've gotten, but I really do hope that we can see more.

I'm intrigued by Townsend and Liz. I hope this moves Liz back to the front burner. She is one of my favorites.

Edited by Susan Hunter

• Members

Some speculate that the episode was pre-empted back in 1968 due to the World Series and that Lakin and Edelstein recapped the plot developments via dialogue in the episode that aired yesterday. That makes sense to me. It doesn't make sense that Lakin and Edelstein would skip such a pivotal point in the story, especially since they're taking the time to show the lead-up to the wedding.

• Members

The missing episode may have been preempted, but the writers would not have been able to make changes in the next day's script, because that episode had already been taped. I understand TD was taping about one-week ahead of air-date in 1967-68. And if they needed to purposefully skip and episode for some reason, the missing episode was certainly more important than the following one. The episode with the dress and tuxedo fittings should have been the one to skip.

• Members

If an episode had been pre-empted, it would have been telecast the next day. It would not have been skipped. The production was too expensive to skip a taped episode, not to mention renumeration to the advertisers. Additionally, it makes no sense whatsoever that Lakin and Edelstein would conclude a crucial plot development offscreen. There were too many specific references to the discussion between Penny and Nick, as well as the date between Liz and Jody. More than likely, the episode was accidentally skipped when digitized or it was too degraded for broadcast. That has been the case with Ryan's Hope and the P&G soaps. It would also explain why the same episode was shown twice. Retro might be right, but they have been wrong in the past, so I will adopt a wait-and-see attitude. We should soon know one way or the other, as a skipped episode will throw off the holiday schedule.

Edited by saynotoursoap

• Members

The World Series only aired five weekday matchups, October 2, 3, 7, 9, and 10. All of those are known pre-emptions, The episode we are speculating about would have aired Tuesday, October 29th, over two weeks after the World Series ended, so it could not have been bumped for that. I cannot find evidence of any other pre-emption after October 10th, other than the one on Thanksgiving Day (November 28, 1968).