The Doctors

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have always maintained that The Doctors was the most topical and adult drama of its era, at least during Rita Lakin's writing tenure. Perhaps in the same episode, or one surrounding it, Nick prescribed a dose of reality for Althea by mentioning the assassinations of Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King, which also surprised me.

On a lighter note, for those who have not watched today's episodes, we have our first glimpse of the late Peter Burnell as Mike Powers, a role he will play longer than any other actor in the part.

• Members

I too was stunned at the mention of MLK and RFK. They have mentioned Vietnam several times before, mostly in reference to Ed Stark and Anna Ford, who were both seriously injured over there when working as a medic and war correspondent, respectively. Never had they mentioned the assassinations until now, but it worked in the context of going after what you want while the world at large was in complete turmoil.

Althea/Nick - pure magic. I'm looking forward to the wedding scenes already!!

We've seen Peter Burnell's first episode as Mike and I like him already. Plus, his being there will breathe new life into the Matt/Maggie relationship. I'm tired of the drama involving Karen and am ready for them to move on.

Again, I'm so glad RTV took a chance and introduced this gem of a show to a whole new generation. It doesn't really feel like a "soap" per se - it's like many of the half-hour primetime shows of the 1960s but straight up drama with hints of comedy and a splash of romance.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I don't believe Anna Stuart arrived until around 1971.

We should be seeing Nancy O'Donoghue soon though. She played a physical therapist and I believe Mike dated her for a while.

Oh, and I found a newsclipping indicating that Ralph Purdum returns as Phillip Townsend (hospital board chairman) on September 25, 1968 (so that's coming up very soon for us).

Edited by jam6242

• Members

I think that I am probably in the minority, but I really like Steve and Karen. Their scenes fascinate me. I think Steve is lying to himself in a hope for some kind of absolution. While Karen is looking at the true reality of the situation and it is causing her to come undone. Can these two crazy kids make it?

Loved Matt finally thawing out a little bit regarding Maggie and when he told Jody Lee to cut his hair.

• Members

I'm way behind but caught up a little on recent episodes. Nick and Althea remain my favorites. I could watch them all day long. I loved the episode where they got engaged. Now that they have softened his character he's a joy to watch.

I'm really enjoying Anna and Ed's story. I didn't think we'd be seeing them featured as much.

The Maggie recast is hard for me to adjust too but she's here to say and as much as I thought I would enjoy Karen, I loathe her and every story she's involved in. I just don't find her fun at all.