Neighbours: Discussion Thread

• Members

Friday's ratings were:

EP1: 256,000

EP2: 288,000

Weekly average: 266,200

Good to see that the second friday episode was the highest rated of the week! Who knows, once the floods in Queensland are all sorted out and January ends figures may rise over 300,000. Also, thursday's figures showed that Melbourne made up almost half of the show's audience, indicating a bit of local support.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well Neighbours has just got a little bit more interesting with the revealation that (Spoiler tags because I know most here are at UK pace)

Although admittedly the set up for this is far from perfect (it does feel like something the writers just pulled out of thin air) I think it does have the potential to be a great storyline.

• Members

More ratings for the week of Jan 17.

Mon: 315,000

Tues: 319,000

Wed: 321,000

Thurs: 284,000

Fri: 224,000

Jan 24.

Mon: 330,000

It also seems that Eleven's audience share dips considerably at the weekend when Neighbours doesn't air...

Also, Ten's new News hour shows from 6pm premièred to just 606,000 and 537,000 respectively.

Re: Sonya's story... It does look interesting, and I'm intrigued to see how it all plays out, but it is a shame that certain facts look like they will be forgotten, like Callum's aunt in Ballarat who he went to stay with after his Nan was hospitalized before Toadie adopted him. What's frustrating is that this all happened in the last 3 years, the same length of time Susan Bower has been with the show, making it her original story development after she axed the East Timor story, so she should be able to remember her own recent history!

• Members

Thanks Ben.

I just thought I'd post in this topic that on the official website (www.neighbours.com.au) there'a poll if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

What age-group do you want to see more of on Neighbours?

Most visitors to that website are teenagers which I suspect is why the poll has turned out this way but I plea with anyone who reads this thread to vote one of the other options as I know that the prodcuers take these polls very seriously for some reason (Once they asked what viewers opinions were on Lyn Scully and decided to bring her back based on a poll)

Please vote! The vote as currently stands:

What age-group do you want to see more of on Neighbours?

Teens 64.0%

20s 21.6%

30s 9.3%

40+ 5.1%

• Members

There are some Neighbours fans at Television Without Pity. If you made some general comments about the show and then mentioned the poll, some might vote. They hate the Kennedys so they might say they prefer teens to the Kennedys, but some might vote for the 20/30/40 group.

• Members

I voted 20s, but really I'd be happy with any age so long as it isn't teenage. Unless it was upping Chris from recurring to permanent.

Logically, everyone who doesn't want more teens should really vote for the 20s, as that is in second place and in with more of a chance of toppling the teens.

The problem with the official site is that it is housed by a load of 12 year olds and those with a brain of a 12 year old, so all opinion is screwed towards their view, and most of the time it's not the majority of opinion. But, Susan Bower takes that site seriously, maybe b/c it's the official site, or maybe b/c their opinion supported her insane decisions over the last 2 years. Probably the latter, considering this is the same site that she uses to publicly declare that Australia loves the teens and the Aussie fans want more, when that couldn't be further from the truth. In all honesty that site probably only counts for 5% of the Neighbours audience, and anyone with half a brain would see that ratings went up during adult centred weeks/eps, compared to those with the teens.

Teens do have their place, but they have a good group with Summer/Andrew/Tash/Chris, and Callum & Sophie who are entering that phase; they don't need any more.

• Members

Ben - what is your opinion of the Kennedy's? I've been thinking recently about why the show's fortunes have dwindled the past few years and it occurs to me that the long-term characters may have become a problem. I only watch the show for them, i.e. Karl, Susan, Lou, Lyn, but at the end of the day after so many years what can you do with them that will excite the audience? On a show like EastEnders, for example, with such a huge cast, the characters don't tend to be the centre of storylines for a long while before someone else gets their turn, but on Neighbours or Home and Away, the cast is so small that characters have huge storylines and receive a lot of air-time that they run out of steam pretty quickly in comparison.

Would you agree, or would you say there's still plenty they could do with them? I definitely think they should stay on the show but all I can think of them doing is never-ending comedy storylines. I look at shows like Coronation Street, with Ken Barlow, and wonder how they've managed to keep him fresh for so long in the show and so loved? I don't watch Coronation Street, so I wouldn't know how they've managed to do this, could anyone shed some light on this?

I can see opportunities for Toadie, having recently just got together with Sonya, obviously having children is an option for a storyline, but with Karl and Susan what can you do? Libby, also, being single, could get married again or be involved in love storylines, plus in a few years they can show her bringing up Ben when he is a teenager.