Toups

Home and Away: Discussion Thread

300 posts in this topic

I hope Joey sticks around for a while and becomes a regular character. In the past, both Neighbours and Home and Away tend to introduce gay. lesbian and minority characters for short stints only to wirte them out permanently once their initial storyline is up.

I hope Joey sticks around for a while and becomes a regular character. In the past, both Neighbours and Home and Away tend to introduce gay. lesbian and minority characters for short stints only to wirte them out permanently once their initial storyline is up.

This is really gonna disappoint you: The storyline is only going to last 6 weeks.

I think the most important thing is Charlie, and where they'll take her character. If she reverts back to dating solely men, then this will all have been for nothing.

BTW: Toups, I really disliked that Today Tonight clip you posted. Why did TT have to give the most face time to those bigots, when they could have produced a more rounded segment?

Damn I knew someone would come along to burst my bubble lol. I really do think it is a bit of a cop out by the producers, not only because of the whole lesbian storyline but also because of the rape as well. IMO Six weeks is simply not long enough to do a decent storyline on both issues and lumping them together in such a short arc reeks of sensationalism.

I do think you are right though about Charlie being the most important thing about this storyline and her continuing to explore her feelings where men and women are concerned would go a long way.

This is really gonna disappoint you: The storyline is only going to last 6 weeks.

Are you serious? Only 6 weeks? WTF? I haven't watched in a couple of weeks, so I'm very disappointed to hear that. I thought this was going to be a real story ala John-Paul/Craig on Hollyoaks. <_<

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5012974,00.html

Home and Away soap girls to smooch again

HOME and Away will feature a second lesbian kiss in defiance of outraged family groups.

The second kiss is part of the continuing romantic storyline between police woman Charlie Buckton, played by Esther Anderson, and deckhand Joey Collins, played by Katie Bell.

Parents and conservative groups have criticised the controversial relationship plot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics: Gay and lesbian star moments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There'll be another one in a few episodes' time," Bevan Lee, Channel 7's head of creative drama, told gay website Samesame. "I think that clearly shows Channel 7 is not backing away from these kinds of stories."

Last Tuesday's kiss episode had 1.194 million viewers, up 58,000 viewers.

Media analyst Steve Allen, of Fusion Strategy, said there had not been a backlash from advertisers.

"I wouldn't think anyone (advertisers) would think Home and Away was so controversial it would be embarrassing (to advertise in)," Allen said.

Lee, the creative force behind hit show Packed to the Rafters, has denied the lesbian storyline was designed to boost ratings.

"The thing that saddens me, as a gay writer, is that a beautiful six-week story has been reduced to a facile argument about six missing seconds of screen time," he told Samesame.

"What is a beautiful lesbian storyline has now been hijacked by interest groups, and it will now make it harder for us to do this in the future."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5006022,00.html

Esther Anderson talks lesbian kissing on Home and Away

HOME and Away have sparked more controversy with their lesbian storyline. DO YOU THINK THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR? BLOG WITH COLIN VICKERY FROM 12:30pm TODAY (can't find a link for this at the moment but will see again when it is happening and post a link then.)

Esther Anderson must be shell-shocked. A few weeks ago she was talking excitedly about the Home and Away storyline that had policewoman Charlie Buckton discover she was gay.

JOIN COLIN VICKERY ON THE CONTROVERSY SPARKED BY THE HOME AND AWAY STORYLINE FROM TODAY AT 12:30pm (10.30 pm EST 8/7/09)

For Anderson, it was a welcome development -- one that stretched her as an actor and enriched Charlie who, until then, had been the stereotypical tough cop.

Instead the controversial scene sparked a free-for-all. There has been an angry reaction from some parents and conservative groups.

Talk that Channel 7 was about to edit last Tuesday's kiss between Buckton and deckhand Joey Collins (played by Kate Bell) infuriated lesbian groups who staged a protest at Federation Square.

Bevan Lee, Seven's head of creative drama and development, says two kisses were filmed and Seven decided to air the more gentle version. He says he's sad that ‘‘a beautiful six-week story has been reduced to a facile argument about six missing seconds of screentime''.

Now it is time for Anderson, the actor at the centre of this storm, to have her say.

How did you hear about the lesbian storyline for Charlie Buckton?

The producers asked me. It's a big storyline and requires commitment and it's emotional. They asked if I was OK with that. I said yes because it's great to have a meaty storyline, something you can explore and that helps you grow as an actor.

It shows a bit more of Charlie's vulnerability after seeing this hard cop all the time. She's not just this tough chick with no heart.

Did you discuss the storyline with any friends?

I talked to gay friends and asked people who weren't gay what they thought of it. I wanted to make it an accurate portrayal. I didn't want the gay population out there to say ‘‘that's just a load of crap''.

It's an interesting development for Home and Away.

It's amazing that it's still such a taboo subject in this day and age because it's everywhere. The gay population is growing. To me there's no difference -- love's love. The fact that your partner's the same sex is no different. The only difference is all that stigma society attaches to it.

The storyline explores all those issues of discrimination and stigma but it also shows it's a beautiful love story like any other romance on the show.

The gay community can be very vocal. What do you think their reaction will be?

Not everyone will agree because we're only telling one story. It's Charlie's story. We can't be accurate for everyone. That's where I found my acceptance with it.

Charlie isn't quite sure what to make of the attraction to Joey at first, is she?

Charlie gets a bit of a surprise within herself. In her mind, it's come from nowhere. After a while she thinks ‘‘it must have always been part of me''. In the beginning it throws her world upside down, it changes her whole identity.

What were your feelings leading up to the kiss?

Everything that ran through my mind I used when I did the scenes. I thought: ‘‘I have to tell my parents about this''. That's what you would be like if you were coming out. I understood the character in that sense of why it's still maybe tough for people to come out.

How did your parents react to the lesbian plotline?

They were wonderful. Mum said: ‘‘Well, you just throw yourself into it like you would with any relationship with one of the boys.'' I have a very supportive family and it made me realise that if I was gay in real life they'd love me.

What were the challenges for you in doing this storyline?

First, the workload. It's my first big storyline. I was working a lot more hours, a lot more scenes. And just emotionally -- I'd never been tested like that. As a heterosexual, how can I relate to that and make it real?

You really have to open yourself up emotionally.

It was really draining. When you have to do that, physically you actually feel the emotion. Your body's shaking. You think: ‘‘If I feel that, hopefully the audience will too''.

You and Kate also have to convince viewers there's a physical closeness between the two of you.

We talked about it a lot. She's lovely and we both had the same idea about the story and how we wanted it to come across. We were telling a love story and we wanted to treat it with the respect it deserves. I think we found the chemistry.

Home and Away has a lot of young viewers. Do you think they'll be OK with this storyline?

I think so. You learn pretty much everything at school. I don't think I'm lifting the lid on something they don't already know about.

Home and Away, PG

Channel 7, weeknights, 7pm

Controversial soapie

Duration: 30 minutes

Link for the blog.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5006022,00.html

Edited by SnCCorinthos4ever

Home & Away actors seem to be making publicity lately, but not in the best way.

One is involved in a cocaine scandal, and another made a sex tape he showed to some cast members.

I read about an interview the sex tape guy's mother had where she said she was so happy he wasn't involved with that type of girl now, and all I kept thinking was...OK... :mellow:

Yeah and apparently it's all the girl's fault for allowing Lincoln Lewis to have it on his phone. Like, whatever!

Lincoln Lewis is on this seasons DWTS down under (and there is a blind guy as well)

Recent happenings on the show.

Trey put a bomb on a bus.

The Doc had her baby.

Belle has cancer and only a short time to live.

Belle and Aden have married.

Charlie and Angelo are together. Charlie has been hit by a car and the guy that was driving has something to do with Joey. (this only happened last night)

ETA - The guy that was driving the car was Joey's brother.

Angelo knows about her and Joey now and doesn't know what is going to happen with them and its not because she had a relationship with another woman it was because he felt like she couldn't share it with him and was keeping it a secret like she did with their relationship and is wondering what else she is keeping secret.

And it seem's like she is keeping a big one. From what was implied last night Charlie just may be Ruby's mother and not her sister.

Edited by SnCCorinthos4ever

Ada Nicomdemou and Bernard Curry are currently in New Zealand for our first proper national telethon in 16 years, so props to them :)

EDIT: And now Bernard is in a dress.

Edited by Dion

Bernard Curry hosted Beauty and the Geek Australia.

This last week got interesting, watched the season finale.

There is some people smuggling going on. Hugo is involved in a big way.

Martha got kidnapped by Hugo's wife.

Angelo let one of the suspect's escape, but has followed him and is now at the place where the people are being kept. He has also found Martha trapped in the boot.

Charlie and her fellow officer's were able to decipher a note and she is also there but in now trapped in the container that the people are in Hugo has seen her and it looks like he has hit her over the head.

Xaiver who had some sort of memory lose is remembering things.