Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

Okay now that I've dumped Hollyoaks I have more time to watch this! I'm now speed watching January and I'm in the week it's revealed Maisie and Ryan are siblings. The fallout is AMAZING and the build up was as well. I also love how both women are victims in all this, but of course get blamed the most by their kids.

Everything on this show is working. The Aaron story is moving along nicely as well. I also like his girlfriends brother. What is his name? He's cute and I do hope he can repair his relationship with Aaron in the end. I thought he reacted well to the kiss, he wants to be Aaron's friend and to help him. Sad how hard Aaron is being wiht him.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In lieu of all the terrible OLTL news, thank God for Emmerdale, which is consistently entertaining me. Speaking of that fact, that episode where Lexi took the baby to the roof? AMAZING! The actress seemed kind of lifeless before but she sold those scenes. Also, I hate Carl.

Q: Why did Debbie and Jasmine break up?

Q2: I like him fine but does Sam have some sort of disability?

• Members

:lol: I'm watching August 2009. Debbie and Jasmine are both women who used to be together, but since I started with episodes in July 2009, I have no idea why they broke up.

Lexi is Jasmine's sister who was married to Carl. Unbeknown to Lexi, Carl married her because she knew he killed his father. When Lexi became pregnant she lost the baby and when she wanted to try artificial insemination, Carl kept putting it off. When Nicola had her baby, Lexi wound up looking after him for a few hours and that's when her mind broke and she brought Anjelica up on the hospital roof. There she forced Carl to tell her why he didn't want a baby with her to which he revealed he never loved her and only married her out of fear of her going to the cops about murdering his Dad. Lexi then left town.

Edited by Amello

• Members

Here we go!

Debbie and Jasmine met when they were about 16 or 17. Jasmine felt unloved by her parents, who dumped her in boarding schools and on her uncle Ashley, and Debbie was distanced from her family because she had given up her baby, Sarah. Debbie and Jasmine slowly fell in love. Debbie's father Cain was furious and he seduced Jasmine. Debbie and Jasmine broke up, but Debbie got her revenge when Jasmine fell pregnant and Debbie convinced her to have an abortion.

Debbie and Jasmine went their separate ways, but several years later, Jasmine was nearly raped by her corrupt cop boyfriend, Shane. Debbie burst into the room and hit him over the head. A few minutes later, he woke up and grabbed Debbie's leg. Jasmine freaked out and beat him to death with a chair leg. Debbie and Jasmine and Debbie's cousin/sometime lover Eli threw his body in the lake and made it look like he had left the country.

Debbie and Jasmine became involved again. When the body was found, they became even closer, and more terrified. When Eli found out they were a couple, he was furious, as he loved Debbie. The police began to close in on Eli, and he sold Debbie and Jasmine out. Debbie told Jasmine to run and she would try to follow. The cops caught Debbie. Debbie was put on trial, and Jasmine returned, saying she would plead guilty. She got more jail time than Debbie. She told Debbie not to wait for her and that they weren't going to be together again, although she would always love Debbie and always think about her.

A lot of Debbie/Jasmine scenes are on Youtube.

I don't know if they have ever said what happened to Sam, but he's always been slow.

Carl is an awful man but I've always found him somewhat fascinating, partially because he's so pathetic, also because the actor is hot.

• Members

Oh, so Andy and Debbie happened a very long time ago. Did they ever get together after the birth of Sarah? Were they ever at odds, considering they seem to be very civil with each other now?

And explain Eli being with Debbie but still being her cousin? Incest? Is this like Larry and Karen Wolek?

• Members

Some backstory:

Andy was married to Katie. He idolized her. He was devastated when he learned she had been having a hot affair with his brother, Robert. He got drunk and waited in their trailer so he could shoot and kill them. But his adoptive father, Jack, stopped by to check something, and Andy accidentally shot him. Jack nearly died. Jack lied to protect Andy, but told him to stay away. Andy had no one.

Debbie came to town as foster daughter to Paddy and Emily. She was actually the child of cousins Charity and Cain, who had had a fling as teenagers. Charity gave the baby up. Debbie tried to reconnect with Charity but Charity was now married to rich Chris Tate. Eventually Charity tried to accept Debbie, but Chris died and Charity went on trial for his murder (he'd framed her, as he knew she'd been sleeping with Cain again). When Charity was acquitted, she went after another rich man, Tom King, and made Debbie keep her distance. Debbie lived with Cain, whom she had a VERY volatile relationship with.

Debbie and Cain moved into Andy's farm. Cain was busy with various schemes and Debbie and Andy were alone together quite often. Eventually they became lovers, even though Debbie was underage. Debbie got pregnant. When she wanted to tell Andy, he rejected her, as he was too scared by Cain's violent reaction to their affair and he'd never cared that much about Debbie anyway. Debbie kept her pregnancy a secret from everyone for 9 months. She gave birth in the woods, with only Andy's little brother Daz and her former foster mother Emily to help her.

Debbie began to hope for a life with Andy but this quickly ended badly. Debbie had little interest in her own child and Emily moved into the Dingle home to help raise the baby. Emily and Paddy had split up and Emily had nothing left -- the baby was a sign to her that life was still worth living. Cain resented her interference and became increasingly nasty to her.

Debbie finally snapped and she gave baby Sarah to Emily and told her to run. Emily did. Andy and the Dingles and Cain were outraged and Debbie was all alone. This is one of the reasons she and Jasmine became so close.

Months later, Emily was found living in the woods. Andy ambushed her and took Sarah back. Andy raised Sarah with his women (Katie, later Jo) for several years, while Debbie was torn between not wanting to be a mother and yearning for her daughter. Finally, when Andy was in prison, Debbie became closer to Sarah, and when Andy got out of prison, and began beating Jo, Jo eventually gave Sarah to Debbie and the Dingles before she left town.

Andy got the baby back again but had a mental breakdown and when Debbie got out of prison for her part in Shane's murder, she managed to win custody of Sarah. She gives Andy extensive visitation.

The Dingles don't mind cousin love. To them it's no big deal.

Charity has been in love with her cousin Cain for most of their lives. Charity also had sex with cousin Marlon. Both Marlon and Cain were possible fathers of her son Noah (the father was actually Chris Tate).

Chastity and Marlon nearly had sex a few years ago.

Debbie and Eli had a casual sex relationship, and Eli loved her. They almost married once to help her get custody of Sarah, but when she realized he'd stolen the ring, she knew he would be a burden in any legal setting. After that she only wanted to be friends. Then after he turned her and Jasmine in, she cut him out of her life entirely.

• Members

Andy has a very, very rough character history. That's one of the reasons they had him break down and have put him on the backburner since then.

Andy came into the show as a young boy, his father had beaten him and was in jail, his grandmother had died and Jack and wife Sarah Sugden adopted him. He was initially close to Jack's son Robert -- that's how Jack and Sarah first met Andy. Andy's big problems started when he wanted to burn down the Sugden barn for insurance money. He didn't know that Sarah and her boyfriend (she and Jack were divorcing) were in the barn. The boyfriend made it out but Sarah died. Jack and Andy kept this a secret for years, but Robert soon found out, and never forgave Andy. When Jack and Sarah's young daughter Victoria found out in 2007, she flipped out, and Andy finally confessed. He went to prison, and when he got out, he became very dark, beating his wife Jo for being too strong-willed and allowing Debbie to see their daughter.

He has never faced any charges for the beatings of Jo, the show tends to not mention that now. After she left and his little brother Daz fled town (Daz had been sleeping with Victoria) and Andy lost custody of Sarah, he broke down.

The Dingles can be quite nasty, yes. There are several types of Dingles.

- sweet, comic relief, touching Dingles (Mandy, Sam, Butch, Marlon, Gennie)

- coarse, thuggish Dingles who want money and power or just a place to get drunk (Tina, Cain, Shadrach, Eli)

- Dingles who blur the line (Zak, Charity, Debbie, Aaron, Chastity)

They aren't quite as bad, or as dominant of the show, as they used to be. You probably already know this, but a year or two ago, Dingles made up about 25-30% of the cast.

Dingle family tree:

http://www.emmerdale.org/emmerdale/tree/10june05/Dingle/Dingle.png

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Just watched Paddy learn that Chas/Carl slept together.

Carl is scum. I hate him. I love Chas though. I got a little teary eyed when Paddy confronted her. :(

Marlon is cracking up my [!@#$%^&*] every time he complains about Moira. :lol:

Laurel is cute. I really like her. This Sally bitch needs to step off.

One thing I find interesting about this show is that their are no villains. No crazy bitches. Of course, I do love those kinds of characters from time to time but it's a testament to the quality of the writing that the stories haven't gone this route ... yet. And I say yet because I know that Natasha eventually kills Mark (and thank God for that. I really don't like him or the actor.) I can't wait to see what he does that causes her to go over the edge.

Edited by Amello