Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I don't mind Lawrence and Lachlan in recent months, but Chrissie is a trainwreck. I'm not looking forward to an insta-feud or hissing and fighting with her sister (they seemed to be close offcamera so I guess this is a retcon). I don't mind female rivalries on soaps but I don't think they should be an absolute. And i hope she won't sniff after Robert or have a sexual past with him. I want him away from the Whites. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

More decent scenes with Belle and her struggling parents today, and Dr. Bailey, who is oddly sympathetic considering his sleazy behavior. I hope we see Lisa really question her life after this and question why her daughter is so scared of her (it's likely because she was instrumental in Belle's breakdown).

I was less confused about Tracy hiring the clown stripper (I could see her doing that accidentally) than by a pub being a place for a child's birthday party. Is this common? What would Alan Turner say? 

I'm also disappointed at the show having Adam completely separate himself from Johnny's life. 

I think Liv's just a kid who has never had a strong parental figure and therefore knows she can do what she wants. She used to seem really nasty but I haven't seen that as much in recent months. She mostly seems undisciplined. What she needs is her mother to be a part of her life again, with a stronger support system, but that doesn't seem likely. 

• Members

The problem is they don't want to make Frank seem too awful because they want us to just see him as a rogue, so her actions seem OTT. It makes sense in a way, because Tracy has become a very pampered, spoilt character, But it makes no sense that David will still marry her soon. This should remind him of bad past experiences with Nicola and of his own childish behavior with his father (embezzling to try to hurt Eric), and should make them pause and work on their relationship. That doesn't seem likely. 

I'm surprised at how much I'm interested in the Dan/Kerry/Ross story

. I guess it helps that I like Dan a lot and it's been nice to see so much of him lately, and to see him as a more fully rounded character. The counseling with poor Ashley was a nice scene - showing that Ashley still wants to help even as he no longer quite can. 

A part of me feels sorry for Lisa, but she is also incredibly selfish and annoying, and no one will stand up to her. 

Poor Priya. She deserves better.

Adam Thomas has been saying stupid things again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/emmerdale-star-adam-thomas-sparks-8838207

• Members

@DRW50 (re: Kerry/Dan) NO!!!!!!! Ross already had the same damn story last year! Can they come up with something else for him?!

I don't pity Tracy anymore after tonight either. Frank does not seem to be some demon as she portrayed him to be. I do hope Vanessa knocks Tracy's ass out when the truth comes out. I hope David is the one to tell it. 

I'm shocked that Zak didn't put his foot down with Lisa. Yeah, I get he might feel guilty for leaving her for Joanie but he should put his foot down in this situation. Lisa was all over the place tonight and not thinking about Belle's best interest. She needs to get it together. 

(re: Adam Thomas) He needs to keep his mouth shut and stay being a pretty face. His mouth stays getting his dumb ass in trouble. I like him as an actor, but he stays doing dumb sh-t that makes me wish he'd fade into darkness. 

• Members

Liv drowning Paddy in dirt and mud was a highlight I never want to forget. It couldn't have happened to a better pig.

Chas was disgusting today. I hope Liv finds some way to make her life a misery.

I have been very thankful for the show remembering that Leyla/Priya are best friends again this week, particularly today. It'll be interesting to see what will happen with Priya when she finds out about Chrissie. I also think McLeod must have some affection for Leyla even though she hasn't had in ages, just for the mere fact that's she gotten to win a sparring match with Charity, and got to treat Chrissie like she was nothing but an irritant. As great as she is as a support to her friends, I yearn to see her with a story again.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I can get behind Leyla and Pete. I was going to write how great it was that she hadn't hooked up with Ross, but then I remembered she had a one night stand with Adam. Damn those beautiful Barton boys. Still, it'll be nice for her to throw some fun his way if nothing else. I hope this also means they have plans to reignite his friendship with David. They started something when David started those football classes, but have never kept up with it.

What is Emmerdale's history with abortion? I know Kelly Windsor had one. Anyone else come to mind?

• Members

Dolly had an affair with a corrupt, married councilor after she and Matt divorced. She discovered that she was pregnant, and had an abortion. Jean Rogers was upset by this story, as she said Dolly (who had several late term miscarriages) would never have an abortion. She quit. 

Charity aborted Declan's baby and then covered it up (which is why many felt that her having Ross' baby in prison a year later made so little sense) 

Linda Glover was seeing a rich snob. She thought they would be together, but his mother matched him with another rich snob. She was essentially thrown out with the trash and decided to induce an abortion with medicine from the vets. As often happens on soaps, especially in that era (this story ran around the same time as Maria Santos' self-abortion story on AMC), she was then unable to carry a child to term. 

Jasmine was carrying Cain's baby via a fling he used to split her from Debbie. She wasn't sure what to do. Cain was obsessed with having a child, but Jasmine knew he had just been using her. To get payback against Cain, Debbie, with money from Sadie, convinced Jasmine to go through with the abortion. This led to Cain betraying Sadie and stranding her in the whole Tom King kidnap story that was their exit from the show. 

• Members

I always forget about abortion stories for some reason. Charity should have shot to mind immediately as I loved that entire time with Declan. And I already knew about Jasmine as well since you've so eloquently described her history in the past. My memory just blanks out sometimes, I guess.

I don't know much about the Glovers other than Dave was with Kim Tate for a time, which prompted me to look them up. How bizarre that both Dave and Linda were killed off in the same year. Do you think either death was a mistake?

• Members

Glad that David got the all-clear but Tracy really is working my last nerve. The actress has this Denise Van Outen look going on (blonde hair, gleaming smile) and the cutesiness to go with it. She reminds me of a children's TV presenter.  She's obviously one of this new producer's "pets" and so she's been shoved down our throats ad nauseum. I hope this changes at some point.

• Members

I think we're getting even more of her at this point because a lot of actors are on holiday. I don't care much for Tracy and David as a couple or her being too close to Eric or Jacob. I like her on her own and I enjoy her relationship with Vanessa when they're on decent terms. I just hope they will figure out what to do with Tracy/David as a couple as the actors work OK together but it isn't enough to make up for the writing (the rushed relationship, the proposals, etc.) It's impossible for her to replace Alicia, and Alicia remains the ghost in the room. That and Leyla always being so vibrant . I was worried they would try to push her out of the story altogether - at least they haven't done that.