Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Absolutely. The show is getting better lately but this is the best story - it's how to do an "affair" story right. It's also the type of complex emotional material that suits Bernice far more than just comedy capers. 

Seeing a glimpse of Andy's ass makes it all the better.

• Members

LOL. I agree its the most powerful story but its just hard to watch. It is by far the greatest story on the show though.

Andy was an ass though for saying "I did it cuz I felt bad for you". What a douche.

WOW at Zack and Joannie hearing all this. How embarrassing. And Lawrence has just reached the lowest of the low in my opinion. What kind of man proposes such a marriage.

James defending Emmma.....:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: Love the Bartons...love Cain getting beat up and love CHas looking stupid. 

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

Child help me but u was momentarily seeing the old spark between weak baby Aaron and too hard core Robert....

And I love Victoria going after bat sh&&&t nuts Chas in that hospital...lol

oh wow Robert actually taking responsibility for sending Chrissy to the loony bin? I might actually start respecting this douchebag again. 

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

The last few weeks and the episodes this week in particular have been a big improvement and haven't felt like a slog, with the exception of the White scenes, which continue to embarrass me, as Chrissie proves to be a huge dumbass in ways I can never begin to count, and the show's insistence on Lachlan being a scamp with a heart of gold, rather than a serial rapist, continues to carry an unbearable stench. 

Having Chas see Robert but "hear" Carl was a compelling touch (even if it would have been better if they'd actually brought Tom Lister back) and even if some of her acting was ropey, it's good to see mental health being treated seriously compared to most of Aaron's mental health stories, and to see her family trying to support her. 

And all the Sugden family scenes have been just wonderful, and so very, very long overdue. It always annoys me when I hear fans constantly [!@#$%^&*] talk them and go on about how worthless they are compared to the Dingles, and so on. They are the only thing making this story more compelling for me and not just another stunt of the week or health crisis of the week. Diane learning her cancer had returned and trying to be brave but being so scared - it was very powerful, human drama. 

And even now when I should be sick of Eric's wallowing, the broken bond with David and David still wanting the best for him and fighting for him - it's powerful stuff.

• Members

They really overdid the "Robert's clearly going to land Chrissie in it" angle, so it was obvious he'd end up going the right thing. But I agree that the Sugdens have been fantastic, and it's great that Doug has more to do now.

LOVED the scenes where Chas was hallucinating/dreaming. "I killed my dad for you!" SO freaky. And how refreshing to have a soap character crack up thanks to all the drama she's been through, and for it to be acknowledged. 

• Members

So sad and upset to hear about Shirley Stelfox. I’d wondered why we hadn’t seen much of Edna in recent months.

Shirley was an incredible actress - anyone who saw her in Keeping Up Appearances as Hyacinth’s trashy sister and then on Emmerdale as pious Edna can tell you that. She was also on Brookside, Eastenders, Corrie - you name it.

I was just watching an episode yesterday from 2001, where Edna got drunk without realizing it, and she was just so believable - her head motions, her reactions, the slight slur of her words. No broadness or playing it up too much for attention. She was perfect. 

She was always perfect. And that’s why Edna went from being a one-note harridan, a perma-scold, to being the core of the community, a truly kind and loving woman. 

Just a few months ago I remember Val’s funeral where she was shocked at the male strippers, and disappointed at Pearl for clearly enjoying the display. And it just made me laugh so much, because it was so rightly pitched.

There was so much I loved about watching Edna - her harsh judgment mixed with her sense of fairness. Her complicated relationships with characters like Aaron and her sister Lily (the wonderful Anne Charleston). Her grudging fondness for Sandy, a man she absolutely loathed upon first meeting him. Her tenderness with Pearl even after Pearl harshly rejected her following the death of Pearl’s partner Len (who’d always loved Edna). 

Older actors and actresses on soaps rarely get their due. They are belittled as just being there because of past glories, or not contributing because they aren’t the lead in the shooting or fire or brawl of the month. But these actors are the backbone of their shows. They represent continuity, history, and most of all, heart.

She gave so much to Emmerdale, and to us. I hope that Edna, and Shirley, will receive the proper goodbye they deserve.

Edited by DRW50