EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Have I missed something? Why has Lauren suddenly become such a whore and has set her sights on any guy that comes her way? Maybe I haven't been watching very closely but her caracter seems to have changed a fair bit. I'm glad they re-cast her though, it wasn't great to begin with but Jacqueline Jossa has really come into her own.

What do people think of ryan Kirkwood as producer so far? I notice that I empathise for the characters more since he took over. Ronnie always seemed like a selfish b*tch under Santer, but her exit the last few months have been written so well and you really feel sorry for the character.

• Members

Here's the full episode of Janine's 2004 Exit, which remains a highlight for both Janine and Pat.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7RP9Bu8EGMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/un-jIbv_x8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

Lauren's crushing/pursuing Ryan, something I don't really have an explanation for.

Kirkwood seems to really emphasize character and raw emotion, which got me back into watching the show on a regular basis. He's made me grow to like people such as Ronnie, Syed, and even tolerate and sympathize for Jack. I think the good outweighs the bad for him, but there are a few weak spots. I don't like the constant revolving door of characters. Normally when a viewer says this, it's because the canvas is being filled with new characters, but that's not exactly EE's problem. The show introduces much needed new blood, and then quickly gets rid of said new character just as viewers are beginning to like them. I think new blood is what the show needs right now considering all the exits it's had to sustain within the last few months, and I believe there are a few characters in Walford that have left or on their way out that could help fill that void somewhat. However the revolving doors continues....

Kirkwood got me interested in the Jack/Ronnie and Syed/Christian drama, yet I'm not holding my breath in me growing to like Roxy now that Ronnie is gone, even though it seems like the only option they have right now is to flesh her character out. I honestly don't see myself ever liking the actress.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

Re: Best Exits special

Looking at the episode, there seemed to be an excess of mobsters in Walford at some point in the 2000s, what was all that about? Was this Berridge's tenure as EP?

What did everyone think of the storyline of Ben's abuse at the hands of Phil's fiance? It seems like a rather interesting storyline from the bits and pieces I've seen, how was this period for the show? I'm guessing it was before Santer became showrunner?

I'm interested in looking at some episodes pre-Santer, just out of sheer boredom.

• Members

You make many great points. I didn't know what to say, because I haven't watched that much lately and sometimes I feel like my opinion is so wrapped up in other opinions, like if a producer is too hyped, or too hated. I haven't had a lot of connection to most of the British soaps lately, unfortunately.

• Members

Amira is returning:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/tv/2011/07/11/former-eastenders-star-preeya-kalidas-returns-to-albert-square-115875-23262683/

I don't know what to say. She was the only sympathetic person in that original Christian/Syed storyline, but what can they do with her after she reveals that she had Syed's baby?

• Members

I liked that Amira was able to leave with some semblance of dignity, after being used and humiliated for months (I used to hear that the way Christian treated her was OK because she wasn't really his friend, she just treated him like a toy, but she was a hell of a lot nicer than Roxy has been much of the time). I hope this won't be Amira returning as some bitch in order to move story for Christian and Syed. These characters have so much baggage that doesn't even involve Amira.

There was some speculation a while back among Christian/Syed fans that she will be working with Yusef. There's also been spec that she lost her baby and that way the show will tie up the loose end of the baby.

• Members

I hope Zainab develops an addiction to pills, as I see it as the only way to rid her of "clinginess" to her religion and eventually wake her up and see reality. So I hope it isn't a storyline that isn't dropped, like some others under Kirkwood (Vanessa's apparent OCD for example).

• Members

Thanks.

I love that era of Eastenders. So much is happening in every scene. Such sharp characterizations, and no one can banter like Den and Angie.

And look, they don't end on a cliffhanger! I get tired of the idea that every episode needs a cliffhanger and if it doesn't have one that's a sign of failure.

Debs always seemed so out of place on the show...

• Members

Was going to post this in the "News of the World" thread of the off topic section but thought better of it as it's doesn't really add much to that particular discussion but just wondered if anyone actually realised that Ross Kemp used to be married to none other than Rebecca Brooks! And now in a funny coincidence Rebecca Brooks is married to Charlie Brooks...though not the one who plays Janine lol, a man named Charlie Brooks.