EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nicola and Daniella look and sound a lot alike...

Mandy was one of those 'outsider' characters that soaps used to do very well without having to prop them or force-feed you some ridiculous contrived backstory.

I think Janine had a lot of those same traits in Charlie's first run, but that developed over time, while Mandy was only around for two years or so, but had a lot of impact during her stay. I think Mandy babysat Janine for Pat and Frank for a time...

• Members

They really do resemble each other. Some are hoping this means Daniella will be back too but I don't see that happening.

I think the main thing with her is they weren't using cliches with her or trying to feed you reasons to pity her. It really has become such a tired cliche in recent years - Zsa Zsa's early days probably being the most blatant example (the "fun" thieving from the market, the predictable tearful backstory, the bitterness but she's a sweetie underneath, blah blah).

• Members

This is the start of October, a few episodes before the above. This is closer to the time they are actually evicted.

You can also see a bit of the rougher-edged Nigel before he became a more cuddly and saint-like figure.

• Members

I like a lot of the early 90's stuff I've seen. I think that was the period the show had a good balance of what it was with the 80's, along with some of the gloss of the late 90's.

I wonder if Nicola is only coming back because she worked with Kirkwood on Hollyoaks Later. I wonder how/why they came up with the idea of bringing Mandy back.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20050619/ai_n14673881/

This is what Nicola said in 2005 about her time as Mandy (she even says she was asked many times to return):

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

That would make sense. That and the work for actors in the UK is probably drying up more with all the "reality" and entertainment shows. I am hoping that he will do a good job with her, especially in showing her vulnerability and keeping her grounded. He's done very well at this with Janine. I would like to see how she is with Janine as well as Rainie. And of course Pat.

The early 90's EE does seem like a decent era for the show. Nothing huge but solid, believable characters, and also quietly integrated. The show also has great pacing. It's probably the least flashy era of the show - no Den or Angie, no Peggy. Sharon is more of a low-key glam.

I do notice that Dot seems like a bit of a spare part, which is probably one of the reasons June left.

Edited by CarlD2