EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think he's very attractive, although that was mostly when he got a better haircut and I realized what a nice ass he had (points to him for choosing tight trousers instead of the horrible pirate getup they wanted him to wear).

Anyway, I do love Nina and I'm sorry she isn't getting more recognition for her performances, which are so riveting and also embrace the melodramatic, theatrical elements without going too far (as Becky on Corrie does). She also has such believable relationships with the Masoods. It's even more amazing when you realize what close friends they all are in real life.

The most interesting part is that generally the Masood stories only heavily involve the Masoods - when other characters come in it sometimes feels way off (like Phil's involvement). It's what Eastenders tried to do with the Ferrieras, family drama based on the customs and beliefs of their world, but failed miserably at.

It annoys me when they are onscreen for a week or two and people say "Enough." The family has gone for months on end without any stories - in some cases, years. They're one of the best parts of the show at the moment, along with Janine and a few others.

I do hope they can get good stuff for Kat soon too. I was reading some comments from Kat fans and they said they'd given up watching. I guess I can't blame them.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This must be one of Charlie Brooks' very first appearances on the show.

It's still Matthew Robinson-era episodes, but I find it strange that John Yorke took credit for casting Charlie, unless he meant developing the adult version of Janine. Though, I do know Yorke and Robinson were credited together for a while in the credits, but I don't think it was this early.

I wish we had gotten to see more of Frank with Charlie's Janine than we did...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FUnSp2HjEmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think these were Janine's last scenes in 1996 before the character came back with Charlie in the role at the end of 1999:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4cOMJqEwNnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

• Members

So are we not going to meet their son? It will be kind of harrowing if their son is dead or also very badly screwed up, and so is their granddaughter.

The show does need some new teens, as long as they're written properly, aren't faking an accent, and aren't way too old. And if they can act.

She looks like Caroline Rhea in that photo. I hope they give her better hair after a while.

• Members

Random returns like this always make me cringe a little, but I'm looking forward to it. Ultimately, I think it's cool to bring back long-ago characters to sort of start them off fresh, make them relevant to the current canvas, and establish new connections. Especially with the UK soaps, whose location-centrism makes it easy for any old character to return after god knows how many years.

• Members

Mandy was a brilliant character, although the characters she had the strongest ties to are all gone. She did all sorts of terrible things, yet she still somehow managed to pull off a little girl lost type of vibe. Her mother was a mess and her stepfather tried to rape her, more than once.

Mandy befriended Kathy, and Kathy tried to help her, but when Mandy didn't think she was being treated well enough, she went around convincing people that Kathy treated her like a slave and that Kathy hated her because she reminded Kathy of Kathy's badly screwed up, dead daughter, Donna. I still remember those scenes - they were just fantastically acidic.

Mark Fowler took pity on Mandy and let her stay in his flat, but then she started wearing his dead wife's clothes and made a pass at him. When he turned her down, she lashed out at him too. I can't remember if she knew he had HIV.

She took Sharon's beloved dog Roly out for a walk and stupidly let it go, causing the dog to be run over.

She fell in love with Aidan, the naive/sweet/dumb football player Arthur wanted to make into a star. She began encouraging him to party and get drunk all the time, and he ended up ruining his leg, and football career. He fell into drugs and they both squatted in empty homes and on the streets. He was going to kill himself on Christmas Day, 1993, but the BBC stepped in, and instead Mandy stopped him, and he moved back to Ireland.

Pauline took pity on Mandy and let her stay for one night. Mandy took whatever money she could find, and her last scene was hitching a ride on a truck out of town.