EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought Monday's episode was one of the best in months. Every scene worked, with the exception of the Masood/Afia/Tamwar stuff (Hamesh Patel and the girl who plays Afia are NOT good in dramatic situations) and the idiot plotting of Phil suddenly getting a job in Dubai and hating Yusef because Yusef inexplicably won't help Phil out.

The episode was full of intertwined stories and moments, and effortless character interaction - it should have seemed forced for Dot to have deep conversations with relative strangers like Christian and Shirley, but it felt natural. Her shame when Grace spoke to her about Jim was a tough moment but the most painful was when she had wandered around the empty living room before finally curling into a chair. I know this has been a part of Eastenders for a long time but I feel like Kirkwood has added more of these silent moments which speak volumes. This was June Brown at her best.

This isn't exactly a popular story but I love Fatboy's devotion to Mercy, who has been pushed into all of this without having time to process. I still think there was a place for Mercy on the show and I think she brings out such a kind side to Fatboy, instead of dragging him down, as many say she does. Fatboy also looked so incredibly handsome throughout this episode.

Syed and Zainab, their talk was everything I want out of their relationship, all sides. The love, the tenderness, memories of the past (which were beautifully written and didn't ever sound like lines on a page), regret and fear for the future. I was especially surprised when Zainab joked/admitted that she had interfered in Syed's life. Nina Wadia is best at this melancholy; having Zainab as more than just the shrew who is duped by Yusef makes you care more. It's this type of shading which poor Masood never gets.

What can I say about the Syed/Christian scenes? On the one hand, I think Christian is a very insecure man and I don't like the way he essentially pouted and played the brat when Syed wouldn't rush into accepting the proposal. I can't see this relationship lasting. On the other hand, after I spent much of 2009 and 2010 resenting/hating/being annoyed by this couple, I've grown to accept them, especially compared to the horror shows at Hollyoaks and Emmerdale. They actually talk to each other and since Amira left have not been laden with ridiculously overly melodramatic stories that are forgotten about overnight and show how hollow they are. Even if John Partridge is a bit overdramatic, he and Marc Elliot work incredibly well together, building up a strong bond that carries through their scenes even when they were heavily censored. This made the bed scene seem surprisingly natural. This was a hugely groundbreaking scene - a male couple on the nation's most talked about soap, in bed together, clearly in the afterglow, both shirtless (breaking the Hollyoaks rule), kissing - yet there was no OMG THIS IS SO SHOCKING!!! tinge to the scenes. The BBC is going to catch real hell for this and I applaud them for their guts. I also think Marc Elliot has given his absolute best performances in the last few months. I also didn't realize what a nice ass he had!

I have to admit that I wasn't sure if Daran Little would be able to change his style to Eastenders, as some of his first scripts were almost like a parody of Eastenders. He's gotten better and better and these last two episodes were just superbly written. Among many other things, I love the way he writes for Kim. She's loud and crude but she's also strangely graceful and subtle. Little moments like her birthday celebration, or crying at Fatboy's wedding, are what I love seeing on soap opera.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Friday's episode was the best for me, but Monday was unusually good considering I don't like Monday's episodes of EE very much, and this one was pretty good for it to start the week off. I constantly want to give the girl that plays Afia a chance, because on any other occasion the actress seems to have more spitfire than other young actresses her age, but I think you're right after yesterday's episode, she doesn't appear to do well in dramatic scenes.

That's what kind of caught me off guard. I might would be able to swallow Dot having a conversation with Christian out of the blue, (Oddly I had just watched scenes of a very homophobic Dot from the 80s) but I was having trouble believing Shirley would initially be so incredibly cordial to Dot, even if she's feeling down about that pig Phil.

Those unscripted scenes really do a lot for the story, even if it doesn't involve words.

Well you and I are the minority then, because I'm loving the story as well, and I thought it could initially do wonders in developing Fat Boy's character a bit. Too bad the show let go of the actress that plays Mercy, because I don't think the show will allow itself to play the beats to the story that need to be played. And when Mercy is gone, what will happen to Fat Boy? Hopefully he isn't put on the back burner.

I was incredibly touched by the scenes of Syed and Zainab singing to Camile, as well as Zainab reminiscing about raising Syed. You're right, Nina is best at melancholy.

It's funny how I wanted to dislike Christian and Syed when I first started watching back in September, having heard stories of them being your typical sensationalistic gay couple and it was pretty easy to do so once I started watching, seeing how the writers were rushing them into the baby storyline. However, the writing for them during the past month or two has helped peel away layers within their relationship and I'm liking what I'm seeing. The wonders of character driven storytelling can do versus being constantly hyped and propped up.

I've been loving these other sides to Kim. I hope eventually the show does start taking her character seriously, not simply using her as comic relief. She could be paired up with any guy on the square, and there's quite a few single guys in Walford, or there soon will be.

Good. From what we had seen of her from the few episodes she was in, she could make a good addition to the square. Hopefully she'll stay longer than some of Kirkwoods other new characters.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

I've been loving the last few episodes. The Masood drama is on point, as well as Fatboy/Mercy. Fatboy is one of the best characters currently on the show, and I hope they do right by him after they rip his love interest away. One of the dumbest decisions of 2011 so far. They made a gorgeous couple in their wedding attire.

Christian annoys me still because he's so overzealous about everything. He jumped into the baby thing with Roxy, he jumped into the adoption thing, he's jumping into this marriage thing, he jumped into telling people about the adoption, etc. I've never really hated him and Syed, but they are indeed more tolerable now than they used to be, especially since their story isn't just about them. I'm fine with being in the minority that loves Tamwar and Afia, especially Afia, who is one of my favorite newer characters on any soap, UK or US.

I keep waiting for Masood to have a heart-to-heart with someone like Zainab had with Syed, but I'm wondering who it would even be with. He's not going to confide in Syed or Tamwar, but then is he the type to confide in anyone about his problems? He thinks he has it under control, that all he has to do is get Yusef out of the picture, but eh. He's gonna mess up some more, but hopefully not too much.

Lydia is HILARIOUS! "All the better for spoiling you with my dear!" had me cracking up for days. I'm gonna miss her when she goes because her interactions with Ricky, Janine, and Pat have been great.

• Members

I like Tamwar and Afia, but not as dramatic characters. She just seems to be acting, and he looks gormless. He's better with some wry humor and she's better with quirkiness. I know they are at the center of all this drama so we have to see their reactions but I think they were much better at moments like the scene where she got him to dance with her in the Argee Bargee (however it's spelled) - it was such an honest little scene, awkward, and the first time I believed they loved each other.

It makes me sad but I wonder if they fired Mercy because of her appearance, which often seems to get negative remarks. With better hair she would look great. I will miss Mercy, she has such a thoughtfulness and basic sweetness which the show never properly used. People go on about how she weighs Fatboy down, but it was his love for her that helped define him in the first place. Without her I'm not sure what he will be.

I also wonder sometimes if she was fired because they may have somehow felt they'd reached a quota for minority actors. I hope that isn't the case, as minority actors are, along with a few greats like Janine, basically the main ones keeping the show going as EE continues to struggle with how to write for Kat, Jack, Michael, and Ronnie.

I wish they'd just cut their losses and get rid of Phil...

• Members

Oddly enough, in the younger set, I think I've grown to like Lauren a lot. She kind of reminds me of myself at that age, with all the pessimism and quick remarks. I think Jacqueline Jossa has really given new life into the role as well. It also seems like Max's dynamics with his daughters have changed, he used to be closer to Abi, but now she just acts like a spoiled brat who can't stand him, and he and Lauren seem to understand one another on some main level. I don't know what to think of Lauren's upcoming story with Ryan, but I do think the character has some potential for the future.

I think Fatboy will move in with Dot, they all but alluded to it last week when Fatboy and Dot had that heart to heart in the laundrette. I think they'll confort one another though losing Jim and Mercy.

• Members

I like the relationship between Dot and Fatboy - my only real hesitation is that Dot's stories in recent years have kind of gone in a depressing loop. Hopefully they will help each other.

I like the idea of Lauren and Ryan, although it seems rushed, but I think that this story is going to be overshadowed by the real life scandal Neil McDermott was involved in. I would have considered giving this story to Lauren and one of the new Moons.

I wish they didn't so often limit Max to the same few stories with Tanya and his daughters. So much fondness I had for the character last year has ebbed away.

• Members

After today's episode, I don't want the writers ever changing gears on us and revealing that Yusef was the one behind setting Zainab on fire. It simply won't ever ring true to me after today. During Yusef's confrontation with Masood, Yusef appeared as if he did genuinely care for Zainab all those years ago. To add to this, Yusef revealed that one of the reasons he hates Masood, is because his family refused to speak to him after the fire. If Yusef was in on the plot, with his family, to set fire to Zainab, why would his family refuse to speak to him after? Even after Yusef had remarried and had a child? Besides, it adds such a brilliant new layer to this story, not painting Yusef as someone that is entirely evil.

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

I thought he was very attractive (and not very well used) on the Sarah Jane Adventures. It was so bewildering when I realized he was on Eastenders, although he makes the characters seem very different.

He was also in some Secret Diary of a Call Girl episodes, as Billie Piper's favorite john.

• Members

It's OK. Some feel it glamorizes prostitution but really anyone who sees this as a real example of prostitution is too stupid to leave their home.

The main story is a bit weak, but Billie is OK and the guy who plays her boyfriend is good. The most interesting thing is the guest parade of johns. She even got to nail the Doctor (Matt Smith).