EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You're being sarcastic, right?

I don't want Tanya and Max to reunite, not after everything that's happened between them. He cheated on her with his son's wife for an entire year; she buried him alive, and shacked up with his brother; he lied to her about their finances and secretly sold her business, and conned the neighbours out of their money; he declared his love to Stacey (the woman he cheated with) and was prepared to flee the country with her only a few months ago. What in the world would possess her to go back to that! Hopefully that kiss was just a blip, b/c she has to have more sense, more dignity and pride not to put herself in that situation again. Just look at Jane.

• Members

I'm being sarcastic, yes. I just feel like this is coming and I'm tempted to wave the white flag.

I don't want them to reunite either, I feel like this is a dead end for both characters, especially Max. If they do then I would like very specific conditions. #1 no cheating #2 no cuckolding #3 no throwing Max's past in his face #4 no breakups unless one of them is leaving the show for good.

I did think the scenes were superbly written, paced, and acted, and they had fantastic chemistry. It was all very lushly done and also something I really haven't seen on Eastenders very often. I guess it's because they had planned this for a while whereas the baby swap reveal was rushed, but the stuff with Max and Tanya seemed much better put together (aside from him being fine and dandy after a car crash)

Tanya is very impulsive and self-involved and is always trying to run from her past. This week seemed to be about Tanya realizing the futility of leaving her past behind. On that level, it worked well. But there is so much baggage here and I think it could very easily be a disaster if it turns into yet another cheating story where they just want what they can't have.

• Members

Sh!t They used Julia's Theme! That always makes my eyes water for some reason, especially when it's used in the right context.

It also sort of mirrored Kat and Alfie's first Julia's Theme moment when they walked off after Alfie crashed Kat and Andy's wedding in 2003, with them just walking away.

This storyline has been bumpy, especially when they had to hold back on things because of the public outrage, but the aftermath has been handled with a lot of thought.

I never thought I would feel sorry for Jack, but I do. Out of everyone Ronnie hurt, it has to be him hurting the most. Unlike Kat and Alfie, Jack knew and trusted Ronnie, and it all just backfired in his face. I think the aftermath of this story has been the best acting Scott Maslen has ever done on this show.

Jack's goodbye scenes with Tommy were so sad to watch. :(

Samantha Womack's scenes with the psychiatrist were riveting. Ronnie sort of morphed into Archie and then into herself at times.

I loved the scenes with Kat and the Social Worker, that was such a Kat scene.

I wish Kat would have mentioned Zoe somehow, because everything about her thought-line ultimately goes back to the iconic storyline with Zoe, as Ronnie's also goes back to Danielle.

And again, I love a good Julia's Theme moment!

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I think Kat did mention Zoe indirectly, when she said even her parents didn't trust her to raise a child.

I liked the episode but once we switched to Kat I felt how rushed everything was. I am happy they didn't have Kat being angry and miserable for weeks but I thought she accepted Tommy too easily. I do think Jessie was great and I was very touched by Alfie's scenes with the baby. I know all that cheeky chappy stuff can be annoying but here it worked. The last scene was also very moving.

The Ronnie scenes were a long time coming. It was a bit convenient that she was finally bringing up Archie and Danielle but I'm glad the show finally made this clear instead of just having her go around in a daze. Sam Womack was fantastic.

• Members

I really enjoyed this episode. It had a great mix of character, even if I'm not really invested in Fatboy/Mercy, and the fall out from the baby swapping is strong.

I really enjoyed the scenes with Charlie, Kat, and Tommy. For the first time Kat mentioned Zoe in the way she should be mentioned. Kat can't bond with Tommy, not only because of the swapping, but also because she's not sure how to be a mother due to her experience with Zoe. Everything about Kat's character ultimately goes back to her relationship with Zoe.

I wish Lynne would have visited Kat along with Charlie. I always enjoyed her relationship with Kat, and according to Kat, after Viv and Charlie found out she was pregnant with Zoe, they looked at her with disgust, and it was only Lynne who was the parental force in her from then on to her.

I don't really care about Fatboy and Mercy, but they were tolerable filler.

I wonder if Dot is sympathetic towards Ronnie becuase she thinks she's failed Ronnie as a force of guidance, or because she genuinely excuses Ronnie's actions.

I think Carol and Max are more sympathetic towards what Ronnie put Jack through than Ronnie herself, even though they advised Jack to go and see her.

Too bad Bianca and Ronnie can't meet in prison, given how much they hate each other. :lol:

That was a great last scene between Ronnie and Jack with her telling him to forget about her. I have to say it again, these past few epsiodes are the best work Scott Maslen has ever done on this show, even though I will never be a Jack fan.

I always enjoy Christopher Reason's episodes, there just seems to be extra heart and community in them.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

This was another strong episode. No really weak scenes, although I still cringe when Max does the moping over Tanya. I just can't take it. It's pathetic and it stunts character growth. I also feel like Fatboy and Mercy are too isolated from the other characters, for some reason. I think Fatboy's father is interesting, if they would branch him out more into other stories. I also would like this for Mercy - at least she had some good reactions to the whole baby mess. Too bad she's stuck in a bad Tyra Banks weave.

It was great getting to see various groups of characters react to this. I thought it was believable that so few seemed to care that much about Kat, considering she has few friends on the show, but I do wonder if we will see Kim talk to her. I liked the way they set up the relationships in the Slater family. Jean is supportive but that only goes so far (more believable than when she convinced Kat to accept Tommy), Mo is out there running interference, and Charlie is the one who breaks through to Kat. The Kat/Charlie scenes were just wonderful.

I do feel sorry for Jack, although it's still tough to care about him. It was nice to see Carol and Max with him. The scenes of Lauren/Abi/Jay watching the TV and Jay and Max reaching a truce, the scene with Whitney and the reporter (moving her story without being obvious about it), even the scene with Heather and Dot, were very good. The show is flowing much better lately.

• Members

Yeah, I thought that Whitney scene was very believable. Considering her naivete and weakness for men who sweet talk her as a result of her sexual abuse...

Whitney, Kat, and Ronnie are all victims of sexual abuse and seem to deal with that scar very differently.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

There are some criticisms of Eastenders for having so many female characters who used to be prostitutes, but at least they have never glamorized this and always show the scars.

I just wish we could have seen a bit earlier with Carol and Ronnie or Max and Ronnie. I think they would have sympathized with her since they lost kids, whereas while Jack has lost a son, which is horrible pain, it's not the same situation as what happened with any of those three.

I liked the reporter who was with Whitney; I wish they'd brought him in for a larger role.