EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I'm not sure, I think he was, he did allow his work colleagues to rob his own home. Linda has always given Johnny special treatment, mainly I think due to him being the youngest.

To be fair you're probably right about Keegan. I just hope they begin to try and turn him around soon.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You can't turn Keegan around at this point. He's too damaged now. He's like Old Yeller. They might as well take him out back and put him down. Knowing EE, they'll probably keep him forever and a day, but fans will be over him (if they already aren't). He'll be like Phil--a character who has long overstayed his welcome and keeps getting away with murder. The turning point for Keegan after the bus crash and the show seemed to tease that they were gonna put him in Denise's orbit. Another possible turning point for Keegan was him admitting the wrongdoing he did to Louise, but placing him in yet another heinous act has put another nail in his coffin. 

When it comes to Lee, he was under pressure to keep Whitney's bland a** happy, which set off all these other events. I think he is weak but his depression comes into play too. Johnny is just written as weak and delicate point, blank, period. 

• Members

It would be interesting to see Johnny's cowardice finally go somewhere but it's always just a plot point.

Hell at this point a Johnny/Derek relationship would be more interesting than most of the show. 

I imagine we are still supposed to feel for Keegan in all this. 

• Members

Maybe that's the problem with me (re: Johnny). His cowardice doesn't go anywhere. 

I'm betting money that we'll hear Derek share his experience while Johnny listens like a brick wall, and then have this epiphany to speak up then. 

Please register in order to view this content

However, he'll revert back to his usual ways a week later having learned nothing. 

The writers don't know WTF to do with Keegan if you ask me. I think they wanna make him into a bad boy, but fail to see that he is disgusting at this point and people just want him to go away. Sucks b/c I think Zack Morris is a good actor. 

• Members

I don't think he will stay. I've seen it all before, he is an easy target for the axe plus a lot of young good-looking males don't stick around on EE.

Lee was definitely weak, Johnny doesn't bother me too much, I see him as surplus to requirements though. I don't want him to get with Ben or Steven.

Edited by Edward Skylover

EastEnders reveals Derek Harkinson's secret tonight as he tells Johnny Carter everything

Can Johnny make amends for letting Derek down?

Derek Harkinson is angry with Johnny Carter in EastEnders

•  
©  BBC
photo_100_1436277794.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  

EastEnders delves deeper into Derek Harkinson's past tonight (June 29) as he confides in Johnny Carter following an emotional week.

Derek (Ian Lavender) has been distraught to learn that he's lost his job at the Minute Mart as punishment for failing to declare a criminal record when he took on the position.

To make matters even worse, Derek was also furious to receive homophobic abuse from troublesome teen Keegan Baker when he caught him shoplifting at the local supermarket.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

While EastEnders hasn't yet revealed the story behind Derek's criminal record, the truth comes out this evening (June 29) as he reluctantly opens up to Johnny.

Johnny Carter and Derek Harkinson have a heart-to-heart in EastEnders

•  
©  BBC

Feeling guilty after failing to stand up to Keegan when he witnessed the nasty incident at the Minute Mart, Johnny (Ted Reilly) tries his best to make things up to Derek.

When Johnny tracks him down by paying him a visit at home, he encourages Derek to reveal the full story behind recent events – but why exactly does he have a criminal record?

Some fans think they've already spotted a clue to Derek's backstory, as Tuesday's episode saw him tell Johnny that he lived in fear of being arrested when he grew up as a gay man in a less accepting society.

What has he been hiding?

•  
©  BBC

Private homosexual acts between men aged over 21 weren't decriminalised until the 1967 Sexual Offences Act was passed. The age of consent for gay men wasn't lowered to 18 until 1994, before being further lowered to 16 in 2001.

Others have speculated that Derek's conviction could relate to the time when he took the rap for Martin Fowler after he'd been caught growing cannabis.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

EastEnders incest storyline: BBC soap accused of going 'too far' over new plot twist

Fans expressed their shock on social media following latest episode

facebook.png  
  twitter.png  

email.png  
  blank.gif  
Click to follow
The Independent Culture

eastenders-incest-karen-bernadette-taylor.jpg

EastEnders writers have been accused of going one step too far by fans after an apparent plot twist involving incest.

Last night's episode (7 July) of the popular BBC soap saw the shock revelation that the father of character Bernadette Taylor's unborn baby is her half brother Keanu.

Character Karen Taylor has been attempting to discover who the father of her 15-year-old daughter's baby is since Monday's episode, but fans couldn't quite believe the storyline development.

The meaning of EastEnders

The episode showed Karen learn the news after overhearing her son promise her daughter - his half sister - he would support the baby financially and keep his identity as the father a secret. 

Fans expressed their shock on social media.

However, some believe the writers are pulling the wool over the viewer's eyes and that Keanu may be covering for the real father.

COMMENTS

10 Comments
      • Subscribe
      • RSS

22 minutes ago
      KCBC
      No need to be squeamish. 

Incest happens, and Soaps can be useful for stirring things up and raising consciousness so that people seek help.

picture?type=square
      3 hours ago
      Jeff Black
      Brookside did incest over 20 years ago.

5 hours ago
      NONCORRUPT
      Soaps always stink of desperation to keep people watching ..expect a story line about a burning building next though having only watched a few times [my visit to a family member hooked on them] I am sure that has been done many times and I would guess ..a plane crash? train disaster? explosion ? murders ? riots? you know the kind of thing that happens every day down your street..thinking though if you live in South East London IT PROBABLY DOES !

photo.jpg?sz=50
      GooglePlusUser_x1.png
      5 hours ago
      Somewhereinthenorth
      Please, please get rid of Sonia/Natalie Cassidy  the most annoying woman on planet earth. She disgusts me, she looks like her eyes are gonna burst, get Karen to beat her up. 

27 minutes ago
      KCBC
      Your comment is nasty. 

You need counselling. 

photo.jpg?sz=50
      GooglePlusUser_x1.png
      10 hours ago
      Isseym
      they simply cannot compete with netflix.

10 hours ago
      anfieldkop
      Eastenders going downhill fast? Next they will do a story about skiing then that will be a story about going downhill fast?

photo.jpg
      14 hours ago
      David Knowles
      why not, they done every other crappy storyline. 

+1

picture?type=square
      FacebookUser_x1.png
      15 hours ago
      vickibadger
      I've not watched it for years but incest has always been a regular feature of the storylines- indeed it's part of why I stopped watcing it. The partnerswapping Mitchell and Branning brothers,(doing your brothers wife is incest) Phil Mitchell having a go with his Aunty and that revolting saga where a granddaughter and grandmother share a lover ( Whitney and carol Jackson), Den and mini Den and Zoe. Vile.

thumbnail?ts=636029387726289801
      15 hours ago
      swissmiss
      Eastenders has been going downhill for ages now, made worse by the introduction of Sonia and Robbie.  Add to that the incest saga.   I shall not be watching anymore. 

Edited by victoria foxton