EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'd have it as Johnny because it would cause a lot of drama with Mick as well and help bring Mick down, which he needs.

I have never been that attracted to Johnny (although Sam Strike had a nice ass), but I do think Ted Reilly is cute. I also thought that kissing scene with Ben on Tuesday was way hotter than I would have expected.

• Members

I think Ted Reilly is adorable and I'd be fine with a pairing with Ben, but it's clear the show sees the gay characters and Johnny especially as mere support. And frankly I'd just have it as a feint for something more substantial with Ben and Jay a.k.a. the Jaunty Lads, which is where the really intense chemistry is. Using Johnny to break Steven's facade would be an interesting storyline, but the show is just a sort of banal slog at the moment from what I've seen.

I read the Texas Chainsaw prequel script where Sam Strike is going to be playing the young Leatherface(!!) and I still can't get over remembering it's him.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Is that ever going to be released?

Ben and Jay have incredible chemistry and I think the show is uncomfortably aware of it, which is why they call each other "bruv" when they never did that before last year when it really started getting notice, but sadly I doubt the show will ever go there. 

• Members

I think they are too, which is why they play that shít up in such an embarrassing way. It feels like a British comedy from the '70s.

I haven't checked on it in awhile but as far as I know it's filming or has filmed. It's a goofy idea but it is a meaty role for him and not the worst thing I've ever read.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Their banter scenes on Tuesday were actually pretty funny and not as embarrassingly stilted as they have been recently.  You may enjoy those. Otherwise it's just forced. But they randomly brought in a third guy their age as some longtime friend of Jay's that we have never seen or heard of to play a part in the laddish pratfalls, so maybe he will stay around and they'll move away from that with Ben and Jay. 

• Members

I haven't watched in weeks because the storylines with Michelle and Preston and the high school kids were just so tiresome or a drag - the stuff with the teens seems so off-brand for the show, like an American soap trying too hard. Everything else was just banal vignettes, and with Lee gone the Carter downfall seemed to be losing steam. I might check in soon.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yeah.

I still want Ben and Steven, don't care that they're related, it's not by blood so who cares

Please register in order to view this content

I'll settle for Ben and Johnny though. I don't feel like the show marginalizes gay characters, I think they've just been resting Ben for a bit after the whole Paul thing.

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

Other than this with Ben and Johnny the show has had mostly chaste gay characters, and all in supporting roles, for many months. They also try to pretend that Steven is straight. The show is lucky that after looking so ridiculous over the Kathy return, Gavin, etc. no one cares what EE does anymore, as if Emmerdale turned a bi or gay character straight there would be a real backlash. 

I think Johnny and Steven would make the better contrast, although I wouldn't say no to Ben and Steven. The problem is Steven is so boring now it's obvious the show just isn't even bothered. He's there to be dull so that we can seemingly cheer for useless Lauren to get dicked.

• Members

I think Steven's main purpose is to give Ian some family and stability. That must be why he's watered down so much. He's one of my favourite characters though. I like the direction they're taking Lauren. I have a feeling Steven's bisexuality will be re-visited at some point but what I don't understand is why his gay past has practically been ignored by the characters, even if there have been references to it in Steven's behavior. Johnny and Steven would be a good contrast. I wouldn't mind a love triangle.

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

If that's the case it doesn't work. Nothing against Steven - nothing can make that work. It's goodbye time for Ian. What I would do is kill him off and have a very bitter, drug addicted Peter return for his funeral, in a clash between "good" Steven and "bad" Peter, only for viewers to know it's nowhere near that simple.

Edited by DRW50