EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Some fans get upset when people say the show is Carter-centric, but today proved it yet again. Not just in airtime, but in the focus of the writing. Everything with the Beales and the market and especially everything with Ben and Paul was rushed, lazy, plot-driven, but there was real effort made on those scenes with Tina and her fling. Lengthy conversations between Tina and Mick (which ended up being all about Mick and his issues - everything in that family is about Mick) to give us the full perspective on Tina's guilt and torn feelings on what to do, with various members of the family reacting to those conversations. And this was a carry-over from other lengthy scenes about this on Thursday. It's just absurd. 

Now that the Dean story is over (for now anyway) and Shirley is away from Phil (for now anyway), I'm not hating her as much as I did for most of the last few years. The Carters have been a huge detriment to her, IMO, but it's sort of evening out now. 

The Kyle story is clumsy and a walking PSA, and his behavior today seemed less like being upset than like he was having a psychotic breakdown, but I did like the scene where Andy was saying those veiled transphobic slurs that no one else got. It had an uncomfortable vibe that reminded me a lot of real life - it wasn't overdone. 

Lee has somehow, along the way, probably become my favorite Carter...not that that's saying a lot, as my second favorite is probably Johnny, who to be honest isn't even much of an actor. I'd say it's because of his incredible ass, and that is part of it, but he just feels relateable and true in a way most of the Carters don't. 

What a huge waste this market story is of Kathy. She needs to be keeping Ben in line, keeping him in check when he throws out of control tantrums like the one he threw today (and what lovely continuity to have him not even mention Jay). The scenes with Ben and Paul were just horribly written. Kathy should have a central role in Ben's storyline. I don't understand why she doesn't. I saw some fan saying Jay has taken her role in Ben's life, and at first I thought, "That's pretty damn sad," but the saddest part is it's probably true. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I keep thinking he'll either go or he'll instead just go back to bit player duty. I hope I'm wrong. This was 6 episodes of 90% trash and he was well and truly the standout. He saved the week.

I also wish they'd keep the girl who plays Linzi/Star on the show. Drop her mother in a volcano.

• Members

I'd rather Star/Linzi got b/c she's tarnished for me. Even though she didn't really mean harm, she caused grief on my poor Jay. She can go and take her hideous mother with her. 

I get think feeling that he's about to get the boot too. You telling me that he hasn't shot since the 12th just further solidifies it for me. I am waiting for the announcement to drop at any second...

• Members

He seems happy enough on his Instagram. 

https://www.instagram.com/jamie_b10/?hl=en

I think what worries me in all of it is I just don't know where the story can go, especially as I doubt they're willing to explore the consequences (for instance, he shouldn't even be able to live with Honey and Billy, because of their kids). I hope the new producer is willing to explore the fallout.

• Members

I saw a posting on another board (Carl, do you go on Datalounge?) where someone presented the viable possibility of Paul dying, Les and Pam retire and decide to move elsewhere because they can't bear to live in Walford anymore, Billy takes over the funeral business and Honey takes over the flower stall. I see that happening.

I really do think Paul could be the hapless victim of Gavin's "insane plan" which I think is all about decimating the Mitchells. Perhaps he ends up getting killed rather the intended target, Ben.

• Members

Again, I guess we'll see the fallout in a few weeks. 

I was thinking about that too--Jay not being able to live with Billy b/c of the kids. Does the same law have the same stipulations in the UK as it does here? That people on the offenders list can't be w/i so many yards of kids? I doubt any of this will be explored though. Not under DTC. This was just a story to get people talking and it did; however, I doubt it'll have longterm affects. 

• Members

I really want to see Jay away from the Mitchells (bar Ben), trying to find a new job. I saw some say he should be staying with Patrick. Kim and Vincent have their own place with Pearl so you'd think he could. Sadly I know that won't happen as Patrick will be gone for weeks. 

• Members

He'll just be offcamera, I think. 

I also wish Kathy would be there for Jay, but she's barely even in Ben's life. It just annoys me because when she came back I had this idea that she's grow to care about Jay, as he has done so much for Ben. Silly silly me.

• Members

I did appreciate that, but it was so weak - oh, he's her son's best mate. It seems like DTC only wants Kathy in Ian's story, where she has no real purpose. I think he's so scared of anything rocking the Mitchell boat. Some say Sharon is his "real" mother but she is whipped and useless in that family, as we saw yet again this past week. Ben doesn't need that.