EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I would be more into this story with Christian and Syed if they weren't so rushed and if the actors were allowed to show any affection for each other. They have already said there won't be any more kisses. The main focus seems to be on Syed's family. Christian is a very small part.

I'm sure they would bring Grant back if Ross Kemp was interested.

I don't think that was true about Chris Fountain joining Eastenders.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Who said it wont be any more kisses because from what I have been reading on Digital and Marc site there is alot more involve espically them getting caught from a kiss.

That has been my main problem that we can not get more effectinated scenes. I would love for that.

• Members

I wonder if we will see the kiss or if they will only show us the reaction of the person who finds them. They edited down the first kiss and have shown none since.

I do like the actors and their chemistry but this story has been so rushed. I wish the people at Eastenders knew how to tell stories. They did in the past. Sharon/Grant/Phil built up for years.

Instead we just have stunts and tired comebacks.

The Masoods and Syed/Christian, along with Bianca's family, are the best part of the show right now, so hopefully they will keep developing them.

Edited by CarlD2

• 1 month later...
  • Members

How is Sam an odd character to bring back? She's a core Mitchell, along with Grant and Phil. These later cousin upstarts are the "odd" folks. I'm glad they are exploring her history with Ricky. The Sam/Ricky/Bianca triangle is great, both Ricky's true loves at one time.

I still remember watching in the early 90s when Sam left Ricky because he was just a mechanic and she thought she had posh Clive. Ricky tried to block her from leaving the room ... Sam was just disgusted by him after she'd had a taste of the high life with Clive.

Cool that the original Sam is back!

Edited by jfung79

• Members

It's odd because, Sam's currently doing nothing of much interest. It doesn't help that the Ricky/Sam love has come out of left field, since Kim Metcalf's tenure, which during that time, the Ricky/Sam love was kaput, finished, over. Their "reunion" doesn't make sense. The triangle started off OK, but it has fizzled since - nothing is happening at all. Then there's Daniella's tragic car crash, and the re-constructive surgery she needed on her face, which means she has a terrible expression whenever she tries to "act" out any emotional scenes. Everything thing about her return has yet to serve any great purpose, and is kind of a mess.

BTW: I'd take Ronnie & Roxy over Sam, any day.

• Members

Well there was the Sam/Ricky/Natalie triangle then when Kim Medcalf was in the role ... Ricky had an affair with Natalie because she was out of love with Barry, rekindling the affair he had with Natalie before, but then he and Sam rediscovered how they were each other's first loves so that ended the affair with Natalie when Natalie found out about it and Natalie left the Square. Sam didn't do much with Ricky after she found out about Natalie too, but it happening did show to me the Sam/Ricky love was still there.

I only get to read synopses on the EastEnders website now, I don't get to see the show anymore, so I didn't know how Daniella Westbrook's facial expressions are coming across. I didn't even know she had a tragic car accident, OMG. I just had read about a drug habit or something like that. In pictures I'm liking that she looks so old now - I always like when EastEnders is more gritty and real, as opposed to when it has fake beautiful people.

Edited by jfung79

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Eatenders isn't very real now. They have some hard looking actors, but they don't operate under the grittiness, the sense of things building and building, that they did for the 80s and most of the 90s. Now it's usually just glum characters involved in somewhat ridiculous stories that are never followed up. Like Tanya burying her husband alive. Or his daughter running him over.

One of the more recent, which managed to combine both the show's need for shock value and their false mining of history, involved comic relief character Heather (whom they ask us to alternately laugh at and pity for being a self-loathing, overweight weeper) having a baby. We didn't know who the father was, and in a ripoff of the reveal of Den Watts being the father of teenage Michelle Fowler's unborn child, they had various male characters all getting a text and leaving to parts unknown. Then finally, the character who showed up was Darren Miller, who is barely 18, and looks even younger. It added a very weird tone to a story which could have been somewhat moving, and seemed to be done just to get press.

Anyway, in better news, Carol Jackson is returning to visit her daughter Bianca. Her kids Sonia and Robbie are also returning. The Jacksons did a lot to keep Eastenders going in the 90s. I can't wait to see Carol again. She's one of a kind.

Those of you who don't remember her, but might watch Doctor Who, may remember her as a passenger in last year's plane terror episode "Midnight".

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I think Max and Stacey is one of his major stories. Max buried alive must be, too.

Here is an interview, if you haven't read it:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/s2/eastenders/news/a77057/all-about-eastenders-dominic-treadwell-collins.html

Apart from Simon Ashdown, who you've mentioned, and who wrote Pauline Fowler's death episode, I think Sarah Phelps and Richard Zajdlic are also outstanding.

• Members

Eastenders has had a medicore year so far better than certain other soaps this year.

Also can someone (Sorry Carl for dropping something like this again) give me an update on all the major and some minor storylines going on in Eastenders.I havent watched in about 3 weeks but dare i say EE is doing good.

• Members

Emmerdale has been better than Eastenders this year, although neither of them are what they could be. Corrie, Hollyoaks, they've had a lot of problems.

I think EE's biggest problem is they don't like to tell stories. It's just shock value, then dead spaces, then more shock value, and gimmicks.

Zainab Masood is pregnant. There is some conflict because her son Syed made her think her husband Masood was cheating on her with Ian Beale's wife Jane. The family is dealing with having "Bad Boy" scrawled on their front door. This is blackmail, as someone saw Syed and Jane Beale's brother Christian kissing (offcamera, naturally).

Sam Mitchell returned to town and is facing charges due to her part in covering up Den Watts's murder. She's engaged to Ricky and is living with him in Bianca's house, but she's bored and has been sleeping with Jack Branning.

Jack's ex Ronnie, still a mess because of the death of her daughter Danielle, tracked down her boyfriend from her teen years, Joel. He left his wife and kids to move into the Vic with her, but she dumped him when she learned he was sterile, as she wants a child.

The Fox family is struggling because Lucas's estranged wife Trina was killed. Lucas let her die, although he didn't actually kill her (she fell on a rake). Lucas's girlfriend Denise Fox was briefly charged but then the death was ruled an accident. Meanwhile, Denise's daughter Libby is happy that her father Owen, an alcoholic who once tried to kill her, was released from jail. He is trying to reform, and Libby is giving him a chance. Libby is also engaged to her boyfriend, Darren, and has no idea that he recently had a baby with Heather. Shirley is selling drugs to try to get enough money to take care of Heather and the baby.

Janine is working with Archie Mitchell to get the pub from the Mitchells.

Stacey Slater was recently sectioned because she stopped taking her meds and had a complete meltdown in the Vic.

• Members

Barbara Windsor MBE to bid farewell to Albert Square in 2010

Television and film icon Barbara Windsor is set to say goodbye to everyone's favourite pub landlady, Peggy Mitchell when she leaves EastEnders in 2010.

Peggy Mitchell has been Queen of the Vic for most of Barbara's 15 years in Albert Square and has famously yelled "Get outta my pub" at pretty much every inhabitant of Walford during that time.

Barbara Windsor first appeared in EastEnders in 1994 and has since become one of the nation's most loved television matriarchs ruling the Mitchells with an iron fist and a heart of gold.

She was awarded an MBE in 1999 and was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards in May this year.

Barbara Windsor says of her departure: "EastEnders has been wonderful to me and it's no secret that it changed my life all of those years ago. I'll be so sad to leave Peggy behind; she's such a wonderful character to play. I have had the pleasure of working with a marvellous cast and crew and have made many lasting good friends. To have had the honour of showing the Queen around the set is something that will stay with me forever.

"I would like to thank the BBC for the incredible opportunity they gave me and above all, I must thank the wonderful viewers for their support over the years. I'm looking forward to the future and I suppose when all's said and done, I should spend a bit more time with my old man, as he's not getting any younger."

John Yorke, Controller BBC Drama Production & New Talent, says: "To most of the British public Barbara IS EastEnders, and it's almost impossible to imagine Albert Square without her. For 15 years she's given her heart and soul to EastEnders – she's been a consummate professional, a national treasure and a joy to work alongside. We will all miss her hugely – both as a character, and as a friend."

Diederick Santer, EastEnders Executive Producer, adds: "Barbara has contributed so much to EastEnders over the last 15 years, plus countless episodes, and countless amazing storylines. Peggy Mitchell is a truly iconic character, and along with Steve McFadden and Ross Kemp, Barbara has made the Mitchells the premier family of British soap.

"I so much enjoy working with her – catching up with the gossip, listening to her stories, talking about the show, benefiting from her advice, and most importantly revelling in her powerful, funny, passionate performances. All of us at EastEnders – and our audience – are going to miss her hugely."