Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Beyond the offcamera rumors and issues, they have just been pushed too often as stars. Not so much in recent years (aside from Fiz), but Michelle was pushed as the female lead for several years (2006-2008 in particular) and was one of the worst in the show's history. She and Liz are also redundant and unpleasant together. They've seriously toned her down and I don't mind her as much now, but there's no reason why she should still be seen as a star of the show. As for Sean, he's just a pointless, unpleasant character, and Cotton is a lousy actor. There are also rumors he is the reason the lovely and talented Charlie Condou (Marcus) quit the show, which was a big loss. 

• Members

Yep. If you asked me which characters I dislike and would want written out, I'd easily say Michelle, Fiz and Sean first.

It's mostly about issues I have with them, especially with Fiz, from years past. They're mostly three very unlikable actors and it was always very difficult for me to place why until Carl mentioned the backstage issues/rumors with them, and then it all started to make sense. Like, there's no reason why I would hate Fiz so much, except for the fact that she's totally unbelievable as the super nice, sweet LEAD HEROINE that the actress is trying to play. That, and her constant frontburner status. She was crying about her cancer kid and all I kept thinking is I just don't care. Hate hate hate her. And, of course, Kym Marsh can't act to save her life.

I've noticed the same thing about Michelle since my return to the show. She's not nearly as annoying as she can be when she's given lead material. That's when the nasty truly comes out.

Sean used to be tolerable when he had a lot of his scenes with Eileen. I'm not sure how much of that happens nowadays, but she was able to mitigate some of his crap.

• Members

I'm a couple of weeks behind, watching on Hulu, and am loving all the little moments of grief Ken experiences, like receiving a letter addressed to both him and Deirdre or after the change into the New Year, when Audrey approaches him and says that Deirdre would have been in her element, and Ken replies that it's not fair that it was her. There was also a lovely little moment between Rita and Emily--Rita encouraged Emily to go on her trip, reminding her of Deirdre and her death at 60--as well as a great shot of Tracy with the fireworks behind her, looking on in shock as Robert tries to make her jealous.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

That was adorbale, but what a random assortment of actors. Corrie, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks ... and Jo Sugden! Is it wrong of me to think it was made EastEnders look bad for not having anyone included? I will say, if Shayne Ward ever came to visit me that would certainly perk me up.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I figured it was mostly actor availability, as those shows shoot in the North. 

As for Amy, I hate the Blanche comparisons. It saddens me how the show and many fans forget what a rich character Blanche was before she became nothing more than a quip machine. It's not natural for a child to fill that type of role. It just means that viewers and writers struggle with them as they get older (like Belle on Emmerdale).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Am I wrong to find Robert so hot? Jesus Christ. And I'm very intrigued by his story because, considering his threats to Carla and Carla telling Michelle that he has a mean streak, the clues are pointing strongly to him developing into something more sinister down the line, if not full on psychotic (although I'm not sure I want that, because it would mean he'd eventually be gone).

The stuff with Sally and Faye going over to Anna's to get the DVD so Sally can spy on Anna's new man was hilarious.

Anna: "Have you been on the sherry?"

Faye: "Can I have some sherry?" :lol: 

Anna and Kevin have great chemistry. I can't wait to see Sally's head explode.

• Members

Audrey avoiding Ken and Gail using going to watch Mad Max as an excuse was nothing short of hilarious. The bit with Sean and David impatiently waiting at the cafe while Cathy and Anna fretted about personal stuff was funny too.

Not too familiar with Pat but it's exciting that he's back, even if I feel it's too soon. I was enjoying a bit of fun and happiness for Anna and Kevin.