Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Why? WHY?!!!! 

I wanted Kate to stay at Emmerdale. She was doing so well. 

Why mess up a good thing, ITV?! :(

But I do hope that she takes the broom and clean house. Starting with Michelle, Fiz, and Sean. All them of them irrelevant bitches can go.

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

3 years is the time that the current ITV soap heads have said is the limit for producers. 

Sadly I think there is a caste system at Corrie, and certain people (namely Fiz, Sean, and Michelle) will never leave. They have tried to tone down these three after some truly horrific writing periods, but sh!t stinks no matter how much perfume you put on it.

In terms of what she actually might have the power to do, it's time to stop writing Gail as a bad joke and it's time to either make Liz bearable again or ship her off. Just have Kim Tate buy the pub - she has no purpose on the show, but she'd be more believable as a landlady. And either make Sarah believable or ship her off too. 

• Members

As good as a fit as Kate Oates has (largely) been on Emmerdale, Coronation Street is an altogether different beast. It's an institution, it's The Daddy, it's a machine. 

When Bryan Kirkwood was named Executive Producer of Eastenders I made the same point about Eastenders (and the BBC) being a machine and said he would do well if he worked within the machine. The results are well documented.

If you believe what you read, Coronation Street has much bigger egos, higher profile characters/actors and a 'pecking order' that would be harder for anyone to navigate. 

Unless she ties up her tenure with a pretty bow, people may judge her stewardship of Emmerdale as having lasted 6 months to a year too long.

It's also important to remember that some of the artistic license, afluence and 'glamour' afforded to aspects of Emmerdale aren't traditionally associated with Coronation Street. Though gawd bless Phil Collison for giving the associated sensationalism a going over. 

But as we know, especially in the last 15-20 years, guiding Emmerdale does seem to be some kind of leg-up to Coronation Street, regardless of how well-received (see Kieran Roberts and Kate Oates) or otherwise (see Steve Frost/November and Stuart Blackburn) your time on the former is. Though not a rule (see Anita Turner and Kathleen Beedles, a certain Mr Blyth not considered for obvious reasons). 

If Kieran Roberts is anything to go by, then quality should follow Kate Oates to Manchester from Leeds.

And having gone over to the you-know-where to gauge reaction, I see the perve threads have started already over the incoming producer.

I wish her well and hope for the best as I will pray for Emmerdale. Let's merely hope Iain McLeod has been working to the directive of Bryan Kirkwood over on Hollyoaks and that his style isn't at such odds with what we see now that a messy transition and fall-out takes place.

• Members

They always say that but it never happens. Sadly this show's worst casting choices never go away. And with some of the idiot fans out there like the one I saw demanding they bring back that 30 year old Ryan recast, I can't say I am surprised...

I was watching a 2005 episode, a relatively better time for the show (relatively) and Sean and Fiz are so damn annoying, especially Fiz. To think they are untouchable is bewildering to me.

Looks like Simon Gregson will be leaving for a while again. I wonder how much longer it will be before they have to Rovers change hands. Unfortunately there is no one on the show who has the grit to believably run it. I do wonder at times if they will just give it to Eva Price. Or Kylie and David...

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-09-19/coronation-street-star-simon-gregson-takes-extended-break-from-show/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Ryan Thomas is quitting Corrie for Hollywood. I thought he'd be there for life so I'm surprised. It's too bad - he's a good actor and one of the most gorgeous men I can remember on a soap.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a672340/coronation-streets-ryan-thomas-is-quitting-the-soap-its-been-a-great-privilege-to-be-in-corrie.html

• Members

I see Adam following his brother seeing as they are extremely close and they both are over here a lot on holiday. I think their trips over here were tests to see if they wanted to make the move. 

And I wish the show did more with Jason than just making him be Corrie's resident meathead/piece of meat. 

I think he has potential of landing something. I remember people saying Rob Kazinsky wouldn't amount to anything and he went on to land on True Blood and will be in one of the most anticipated movies of 2016, Warcraft

I'd hope Kate would. If anything, I hope she goes through and get rid of characters like Fiz, Michelle, Chesney, and Sean. 

• Members

I can't really see either of them making it, although Ryan might have more of a chance than Adam, as he's a bit more of the classic leading man look. Danny Miller was just saying in an interview he wished Adam had more to do so that does make me wonder...

I would love to see all of those characters go, but sadly there's a certain clique at Corrie that rules all.

• 3 weeks later...