Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

Leave it to the Daily Mail - they've answered the question: Eileen is on an extended break, as confirmed by ITV, but it's widely speculated that she's retired: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3931494/It-s-sad-Iconic-soap-star-Eileen-Derbyshire-85-not-return-Coronation-Street-55-year-run-soap-confirms-extended-break.html

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We all saw this coming but I'll miss Emily. The show lost so many icons in ten years: Mike, Vera, Jack, Blanche, Betty, Deirdre, now Emily. Only Ken and Rita left. Sad.

So I guess either Ken's illegitimate son or his grandson is visiting him at the hospital. I'm not common with them very much.

Like Gary/Sarah/Bethany, it is classic good soap. Wish Phelan would already be out the show. He was there for too long.

Do you think Yasmin will be given something to do now that Sharif left? Don't see much purpose left for her in the street. It's a shame so many characters are not given much. Would love Erica to have something meaty to do other than cuddle with Dev.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wish Phelan would just f**k off, already. The problem with him now is that the writers are attempting to make him into a complex villain and he's not-he's simply a despicable, vindictive piece of s**t. The actor who plays him is capable of playing a complex villain but Phelan ain't it.

• Members

I haven't watched Corrie in ages, but I remembered reading that they'd made Simon Barlow into a lil sh!t, so I went hunting for clips, and Jesus CHRIST how embarrassing for all involved! Every scene is basically the same - Leanne whimpering about something he's done, him being a jackass about it, her finally getting some guts and attempting to discipline him, and him grunting rather loudly and attacking her. Over and over again. And again. And again. Lord. And he's supposed to be 12? She can't whoop that ass?

• Members

If they'd acknowledged his past (in a way that didn't involve Debbie Rush hissing MONSTER like something out of Manos Hands of Fate) and not brought him back in a tedious ripoff of Hillman, I think it would have helped. This is one of those stories where people have to look like morons to keep the plot moving, and really there IS no plot - nothing will come of the flat scam, and nothing will come of Michael's death because no one cared about Michael. Nothing will come of Eileen looking like a moron yet again. And Todd, who had the potential of finally coming into his own, is basically spinning his wheels because Kate Oates sees Phelan as her ticket to make Corrie into Emmerdale - a show full of amoral characters that just about gets away with it because Emmerdale has been chock-full of amoral characters for at least a decade so viewers have come to expect it and the show has more freedom, and Emmerdale has no identity and hasn't in many many years. Corrie is not Emmerdale.

Adam Barlow is another generic Emmerdale ripoff, with no real hint of the vague complexity that always defined Mike, even as they keep saying he's the new Mike. He's really just a dull prick. And Sam Robertson still can't act. 

I find the show unwatchable in a way I didn't even with Blackburn...in a way I did with that wretched Phil Collinson.

I didn't watch much of it but they did address the last part - she nearly hit him or did hit him at one point, but felt guilt-ridden because she was supposed to be his mother. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

That story was horrible and I had the same sentiments. Why wasn't Leanne kicking his ass? Especially, after that one incident where he sent her to the hospital. I don't even think that Simon got any real help at the end of the day. I think they sent him to Peter for awhile and he came back OK and apologetic. 

• Members

She did lunge at him once when he made a particularly hurtful remark about her not being able to have any children, but it was the classic "Oh, what have I done??" type of thing.

I read that Jane Danson wasn't too crazy about the story "at first" because she, too, thought Leanne was too strong to let a goddamn preteen terrorize her. I don't advocate hitting kids, but the second he raised his hand to her, she should've slapped the hell out of him.

• Members

The problem with that would be that the "reason" for Simon's violent behavior was because he was traumatized by his dad no longer being around, Kal's death and then Deirdre's death. Having Leanne lash back at him wouldn't have worked within the framework of how they perceived the story. I'm assuming Simon's over his anger issues now and is simply a horny teenager.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This really bothered me too, especially given the poor female cast. I read that she quit. I really hope that's true. If so best of luck to her and shame on the show for her wasting her (and the lovely Andy). Someone said Corrie has a long history of wasting black women. I loved Kelly Crabtree, but it really is true.