HBO: True Blood

EricMontreal22

• Members

I loved JFC. That show was a masterpiece, but I knew from the first episode that it wouldn't be a commercial success. I'm shocked HBO even had the balls to make it. Tell Me You Love Me was canceled, HBO changed it's mind about renewing it. I'm really hoping that HBO gets it's mojo back. For me, True Blood is ok. I will continue to watch and I'm glad it will get a second season, but so far it lacks the greatness of The Wire, SFU, DeadWood, and JFC, imo.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love True Blood. Love Big Love!! Hated JFC (can anyone say they understood anything that was going on). I like shows that don't spell everything out for you (ex. Lost) but after a whole season, you still don't know anything. I don't mean this to start an argument. It's just my honest opinion. I am curious why some ppl liked it. Can someone please tell me what they liked about the show. I like reading ppl's opinions :)

• Members

In reference to "John From Cincinatti" I remember the show had a really strong cast, but I didn't always catch the episodes and have much clue to the overall plot. I enjoyed Austin Nichols since his guest spot as Mary Elizabeth Winstead's boyfriend oon the defunct "Wolf Lake". I was sold as an Ed O'Neill fan through his work on "Big Apple".

I enjoyed the second episode of "True Blood" more than the first. The show's little moments are going to keep me watching. I LMAO when I saw the tabloid on the table say Angelina adopts vampire baby. "Pick up the phone, Bitch" was hilarious. Lafayette and Tara make the show. I loved Tara telling that guy her husband shot someone's ball off for giving her a CD. The way Rutina Wesley played those scenes with Sookie's brother was excellent.

Ryan had a great line: "I'm not that smart". I'm glad the arrest stuff ended as I didn't enjoy it at all. I did like the hints that Ryan's latest girlfriend will be the next victim.

I like Bill Compton more than I did in the last episode. Definitely developing into a more interesting character. I'm struggling with Sookie though. I'm not the biggest Anna Paquin fan to begin with, and I don't like Sookie as the lead.

Overall I still don't get a sense of the show though.

• Members

I'm not exactly sure that JFC had an overall plot exactly. It was pretty esoteric and a venue for David Milch to put forth a lot of his philosophy, which I thought was pretty interesting. The main point seemed to be that we are not separate entities and that all boarders are an illusion from a scientific standpoint (The Sopranos also touched on this when Tony was talking to that physicist when he was in the hospital). If the show had continued it seemed like the characters where going to stage some sort of peaceful revolution and save the planet from annihilation. Ultimately the show didn't work for a lot of viewers. Too many people saw a few episodes and were left wondering "WTF?".

Maybe you can blame it on people for not willing to put a lot of thought into figuring out a TV show. At first that's how I felt, but at the same time many shows have managed to blend "deep thoughts" in a way that is more accessible . Six Feet Under is the most obvious example. That show was so tight, I would bet anything that the writers had a very good idea of how it would end before they started it. The same for The Wire. That show's arcs were amazing and all the pieces of each season and the show as a whole came together perfectly. I still love JFC though and there are some great performances for sure, Ed O'Neil really stood out for one. I had no idea he was so gifted before JFC. Plus the Fletchers are amazing surfers. The DVD's are worth watching just for that.

True Blood feels a little bit like JFC to me, in the sense that I don't feel the season has a tight arc. I don't know where we are headed and I barely know where we've been, but the scenery isn't half bad, so I figure I'll stick around. Tara is probably my favorite character so far. I also like Sookie's Grandma a lot.

• Members

That's interesting just because--plot wise--True Blood so far is closely following the season 1 of the first mystery novel very tightly. the gossip was after that they'd go onto their own stories (and already they're building up the supporting cast more than they did in the novel--prob for that purpose). Yet I understand waht you mean how so far they seem to be working more on finding a tone etc.

For that reason (among many others) I don't think you're gonna see Sookie leave the show, Jack :P I get why some people don't like her character but really she's the instigator for so much and I love how she's so different form everyone else. You do know there are easier ways than sitting thru an hour program you dislike for 2 quick ass shots to see naked men right? ;)

I never watched John from Cincinatti--although I intended to cuz I liked Milch's work on Deadwood (it was never an absolute fave for me like it was for so many, but...) but I think your view on what made people lack interest in it is prob true (I sorta felt that way I have to admit about Carnivale--a show I wanted to love but it just kept remaining too obscure for me--and I feel like I have a lot of patience with obscure tv--I know HBo had huge plans for Carnivale--6 seasons were planned and I can't help thinking part of the reason John from C was canceled afte rjust one season was cuz of lessons they learned from Carnivale's sharp viewership decline)

Archived