Where the Heart Is 1969-1973

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The show was created by Lou Schofield and Margaret DePriest. Both had been writers on The Edge of Night. Before that, Margaret DePriest had been an actress on The Edge of Night.

My understanding is that Roy Winsor was developing a spin-off of The Secret Storm called The Widening Circle for CBS, but picked this show instead. (Probably that CBS owned it was the deciding factor.) The new show was to have featured Judge Stevens (Terry O'Sullivan) and his family.

I also understand that Where the Heart Is offered a role to Carol Roux. (I don't know if it was when the show was beginning or later into its run.)

I began watching the show, but I lost interest in it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

That was great stuff. I'd only ever seen Robyn Millan in her mercifully brief run as Delia on Ryan's Hope (where a number of WTHI actors popped up during the Labine/Mayer years), but she's absolutely chilling here. And you can see how different WTHI was to any other soap at this point. I wish more was available, but I never thought I'd ever hear this.

• Members

I've really enjoyed this material.

Vicky Hathaway's breakdown is delicious. Because it was audio only, I forgot that Vicky was still faking paralysis at this point in the story. I was pleasantly surprised that it seems Joe Prescott is given the heavy lifting admonishing Vicky for her deceitfulness, but I guess it might have been a bit hypocritical from it to come from any of the Hathaways. Milan delivers some of those lines with such venom ("Or was it your big idea, Kate.") and then her begging Michael to protect her is so powerful and raw. And then when she comes for Julian ("I tried to tell you! Why didn't you listen?!" was just so heartbreaking. I wonder if they played out Vicky's accusation (Michael was the baby's father) as I could see that slowly destroying Julian's mentally, but it would have also been the perfect motivation for Julian allowing Michael to marry Liz.

The scene between Ed and Vicky was equally powerful. I would have loved to see Ed's physical reaction to the fact that his daughter was completely insane.  

I also found the scenes between Steve Prescott and his mother surprising. Nan was much more developed than I expected her to be, but I think Joe and Nan represented the good wholesome parental figures that were typical the center of the show rather than on the fringes as the in-laws, or this case future in-laws. I did appreciate that Joe Prescott was the family doctor and Ben Jessup, Allison's father-in-law, was the old law partner of the late Daniel Hathaway. It keeps the story tighter and gives the characters history.

I have no clue how Jack Blaine or the Connie character fit into this. Initially, Steve Prescott was in Northcross to get the land that Daniel Hathaway gave away in the will to Kate. Steve was trying to procure the land for Arthur Saxton, the shady real estate developer. I thought it was Arthur who was after Steve when he had amnesia in late 1970/early 1971. I guess I was wrong. Anyway, I was surprised how quickly the story moves. Ellie is killed in May and by June Steve and Kate have married and the Jardin sisters arrive in Northcross to take Peter Jardin.

I'm hoping more of this pops up. It has been a real treat.