Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

It was mine too. I thought they were good on both shows, but I also liked Charles a lot (it's a shame Geoffrey Ewing never got a strong soap role - the GL one was the most interesting but Megan McTavish seemed to be at her most dangerously out of control with all of his storylines), and I loved Lorraine. I never saw the story where Frankie became a militant - it seems like a difficult subject for a soap, especially by 1996 when executives were clamping down. No wonder it was cut short. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Growing up i found Loving boring as hell. Now as an adult i see that Loving wasn't that bad. All the turnovers did hurt the soap in the long run. I found Stacey bland and she was. But by time Stacey was Gwyneth's first murder victim in the Loving Murders Stacey had become an interesting character. Loving should've kept Rick. The show need a bad boy like Rick to stir things up. One of Loving biggest problems was dropping characters. Buck's daughter Janie had such potential.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Nine times out of ten if you watch a Loving episode before, oh, '92? '93? and don't immediately know someone you'll find out they were fired 6-9 months later. That's the problem.

BTW: The Jeffrey Osbourne song still holds up. That song and opening are lush and timeless.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I find myself liking Steffy on LOVING b/c Amelie Heinle just had IT, but what happened?! She sucks on Y&R and bored me to tears as Mia on AMC. Maybe it was writing on Loving and it excited her. She needs to capture back what she used to have. 

I think her tropes stand the test of time b/c she knew how to modernize them each time for the audience. She didn't stay stuck in the past with them. She's a writer that exemplifies how the same plots can work over and over again with changes and still impact the audience. 

Speaking of AMC 2.0, I still get mad that it and OLTL 2.0 aren't around. I've always felt those 2 shows would've been the remedy to soaps in the 21st century. They told such daring story. Especially, Cassandra's story. 

OK. I've never seen these. I am gonna have to find a day to snuggle up and watch these real soon. 

Perry Stephens was a gorgeous man. Why did God have to take him so early?! I do sadly find Jack boring from what I've seen, can remember about LOVING with my paternal grandma, and from reading synopsis on the show. I get he was supposed to be the young hero, but good God he was a too clean cut. How sexy that man was, he should've been pounding everything walking in Corinth. 

Everyone was focused on all the other soaps in the 80s and early 90s, but I am finding out that LOVING was where the true eye candy was at. 

• Members

It was strange watching those May 1994 episodes because so much was similar to recent years in her performance, but she had a lot more energy, inner life. That's one of the reasons I liked Steffi and yet have felt nothing for her other soap roles. I guess now that she has settled in life (and has apparently finally stopped...having an itch for co-stars), she is less interested than ever in making an effort, but it's too bad. I wish they'd swap her for Heather Tom because Heather has been wrong for Katie from day 1 IMO and Amelia likely would fit the bill of that character. Sadly that will never happen.

• Members

As I've said in other threads, I think they were the clear predecessor to what we see now with Degrassi on Netflix, etc. with seasonal arcs, which is what they ended up wanting to try to do. It was their management and finances that failed them, not the productions. Had they come out a year or two later with real funding and maybe a better platform I think they'd be going strong.

• Members

Elise Neal was outstanding as Janie. I recall being so disappointed that the character was killed off so quickly (a plane crash, wasn't it?). Such wasted potential. Frankly, after Janie was gone, I lost interest in Loving and tuned out till the end of the series then the murders kicked off.

• Members

Another wonderful surprise. I wonder if this was during the writers strike. I'm glad they had the 'beauty shot' - and it's a nice, soothing one too. (Minnie and Kate birdwatching) It's great to see such early Egypt, and the wonderful Minnie as well. Classic characters. This must be very close to the end for Roya Megnot's Ava (wasn't she gorgeous?). The scenes with Kate feel a bit like a "goodbye." And there's the first Jeff Hartman. And Gwyn back when she was a naughty, frustrated vamp rather than a martyr. And Trisha wearing an ugly, formless jacket.

• Members

Perry Stephens left the role in 1990 or 1991, to be replaced by Christopher Cass. I guess Cass wasn't as popular. When Jack was written out in 1992 or so I think the door was left open, but he was presumed dead.

That could be a possibility, but I'm not sure. Minnie was mostly a counsel to Egypt, a schemer who had a secret past marriage to Alex Masters (it was this that led viewers to learn "Clay" was a con, I believe). Minnie stayed with Egypt through the time that the truth came out, Alex fell from grace, went through a recast and eventually got back together with Egypt. She had a big role at the hot spot Curtis Alden and Egypt's brother opened in mid-1989 (a lot of those clips are on YT). I think she was written out around 1990 or so, although she may have popped up again briefly with another actress during Egypt's 1993 or 1994 appearances. 

Thanks. I'd never seen those Geyheart clips.