Dark Shadows in development

Sylph

• Members

Tim Burton and John August Developing Dark Shadows

June 2, 2008
Source: IESB
by Alex Billington

Although legendary filmmaker Tim Burton has both Frankenweenie and Alice in Wonderland in the works, it seems he's also got his eyes set on a revamp of Dark Shadows. The project is an updated remake of the 60's daytime supernatural soap opera that starred Jonathan Frid as a 175-year-old vampire named Barnabas Collins. Johnny Depp has been rumored to be involved not only as a producer but actually as Barnabas, but not much else was known about the project until today. IESB discovered this past weekend that Tim Burton is likely going to direct and John August is working on patching up the script. What a powerful trifecta: Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and John August - the same three who brought us both Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride previously.

While none of this has actually been officially announced, IESB picked up their scoop straight from Peter Segal, who is working with John August on the Shazam! script. An adaptation of Dark Shadows has been in the works for quite a while, but seems to be stuck in development hell for the time being. Maybe Burton and August will finally whip it into shape and get it greenlit. I'm sure if Get Smart is successful at the box office this summer, Dark Shadows will be pushed into production, because Hollywood will think that remakes of old 1960's TV shows are guaranteed hits. But are they really?

Dark Shadows first aired in 1966 and ran for an incredible 1225 episodes until 1971. The show was a highly atmospheric, spooky soap that featured gothic horror staples like vampires, monsters, witches, werewolves, ghosts and zombies. I've actually never heard of this show, so someone please tell me that it has the makings of a dark thriller. As much as I trust Burton, Depp, and August, the original show sounds far too campy to actually be remade into something with value. However, I could be completely wrong this time. Maybe it could blossom into something great?

I'm curious if people are still enjoying Tim Burton's dark, atmospheric films, like Sweeney Todd. I know Ken loved Sweeney Todd and those who saw it generally enjoyed it, but I'm just curious whether he's starting to burn out. I'm not saying he's a bad director, in fact I think he's one of the best, I'm just wondering whether this project actually has the makings of a hit or will be just another dull dark thriller. For once I have absolutely no interest in a project and I'm asking if someone can tell me why this could be good. Does Dark Shadows have the makings of a great Tim Burton movie?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember Dark Shadows very well. Of course I was young (in h.s.), but it satisfied my taste for horror and the macabe.At the time, I didn't think it was campy, it was good story telling. But you have to like that genre, in order to enjoy Dark Shadows. Jonathan Frid was great as Barnabas Collins. What was unique was the love story that it revolved around. They did a remake with Ben Cross, but it didn't quite have the same feeling. DS originally aired in B&W and was filmed using the first stages of video tape. Any way, I like Tim Burton's stuff. But in general, I love horror, not slasher, but horror. Dark Shadows exemplified horror in that style before slasher, blood and guts became the new horror.

I suppose you could see old clips on you tube to judge for yourself. I'm pretty excited; I hope this film gets made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The only reason I look forward to this is because it might cause renewed interest in the original series, which gives me the "Shadows" in my name. Translation: I'm a huge fan of DS and Tim Burton better not [!@#$%^&*] it up. I'm not much of a Burton fan at all...his movies are way too emo for me.

• Members

Well i bought the first series on Dvd, first i thought it was great but i am beginning to think it is a little boring, with Burke Devlin and Roger Collins, wasn`t there any good female bitch on the shows at all?

The women on the show where to plain nice like Elizabeth, Victoria, Carolyn and Maggie, no fun bitches at all!.....

• Members

I'm open for it. I think Burton will do a good job with it. He seems like he can do dark yet campy goth well, IMO.

I'm also interested in his take on Alice in Wonderland. I had no idea there was a new one in the works.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just hope they don't cram too much story in like the 91 series. Just focus on Barnabas arriving and his effect on the Collins family in the 1960's. Then if it's successful you can do a sequel in the past, but I think it would be difficult to include both and do each story justice. You could probably include some flashbacks to 1795, but you can't tell both stories and introduce all the characters and what not. I'd say Part 1: Barnabas Returns Part 2: 1795 Part 3: Quentin's Story

• Members

I hope they aren't going to go too overboard on their idea of gothic and creepy. I got sick of Tim Burton movies because they became all about masturbatory needs to show the audience how daring he thinks he is. The original DS worked in part because for all the goth, it was also relateable.

Archived