Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thank you! Even after all these years Siobhan's wailing in this period still tugs at my heartstrings...I had that in my head for eons, "...because YOU were on MY side!!!" I love that scene. Thank you.

Nicolette Goulet's odd staccato speech patterns always irritated me but she did a nice job in her final weeks as Mary. 

• Members

I thought 1981 was good ratings wise for RH -- that was why this newspaper column that said the show was having ratings trouble surprised me. I don't have the exact date of this but I think it would mean they were having rating problems in the spring of 1981. Of course they were wrong about a new Siobhan coming on right after Sarah left - - so maybe they were wrong about the ratings, too.

]

Edited by safe

• Members

Yes, you are right --this newspaper clipping was  from late spring  or early summer of 1980.  Sarah''s last appearance was in early July of 1980  but probably taped in early in mid-June of 1980. Thanks!

Turns out the clipping was from May 1980.

Edited by safe

• Members

The highest rating "Ryan's Hope" received was during the week Kim got drunk and gave birth on the houseboat during August, 1981. This was because of what was going on "General Hospital." I believe it was the week they nearly froze the world. I believe Kim was considered important to ABC because she appeared heavily during that week. This would be why Labine and Mayer dumped Maroney in September, 1981, and reappeared in March, 1981.

Personally, I found Kim's antics entertaining. I wanted to see Kim suffer for her scheming and plotting. My favorite was when Jill Coleridge revealed she had faked the pregnancy during Kim and Seneca's aborted wedding. I loved how Rae and Roger had one-upped Kim by creating their own counterattack at Lem's using the shell curtain. And even though it was a brilliant scheme, Kimberly didn't buy it and still sold Rae out to the feds about her role in Frank Ryan's political undoing. I was disappointed that Seneca never learned about Kim's abortion, but I think it would have been revealed had the show pitted Seneca and Rae against Kim for custody and paired Seneca and Rae in a marriage of convenience. In court, Rae could have dropped Kim's bomb; she had an abortion and then had run into the Riverside ER claiming she had just miscarried the baby.

The problem with Kim / Seneca / Rae / Michael was the story played in its own bubble often not affected by the other stories going on. It was stronger when it did (Michael's involvement with Amy Morris, insane baby sitter, and Kim taking sanctuary with the Ryans after Arley's birth). The Kim storyline was ultimately replaced with the Barbara Wilde story which at least involved a Ryan by marriage (Maureen Garrett's Elizabeth Jane, Barry Ryan's stepsister). E.J. and Rae had a nice mentor/mentee relationship, Roger and E.J. were a new couple, and The Proud and the Passionate side plots were amusing.

• Members

Someone is selling an IK Delia dress for $60 on Ebay. Looks like the tag said it was from 7/88 and a size 6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1988-Kathryn-Dianos-Black-Cocktail-Dress-Size-6-WORN-ON-RYANS-HOPE-DELIA-/252686384419?hash=item3ad5483d23:g:tg4AAOSw5cNYLh-Q

Edited by safe

• Members

I will never understand the logic behind eliminating the pictures of the show's characters from this RH opening logo, and replacing them with a bunch of anonymous strangers. It's like the "bedsheets in the wind" opening from OLTL, with all its pictures of unknown models who had nothing whatsoever to do with...the show.

• Members

The story posted at the old Soapnet forum was that Bernard Barrow (Johnny) had it put in one of his contract renewals that he got paid every time the opening with him aired -- so even if he wasn’t in an episode - - he still made some money. This was kept a secret from his fellow cast members-- then Helen Gallagher (Maeve) found out about it and demanded the same deal. That was why they went for the opening without any RH actors – to get out of having to pay them any extra money.

Posters then speculated that by the time the contracts came up for renewal again the show had added a clause in the standard contracts that said appearances in the opening were part of an actors' regular salary and they would not receive any extra payment for it.

Edited by safe