• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Here's an interview with him.

Michael Hawkins, using his real name (i assume), Tom Slater, gives a rambling interview with the Daily Mail which reveals he's suing Christian Slater and his ex-wife Mary Jo for libel. Just plain sad...a mess. The only good thing about it is the picture of beautiful Nancy Addison Altman.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3469754/He-s-ungrateful-son-b-h-Christian-Slater-s-father-reveals-famous-son-casting-director-ex-wife-blacklisted-business-forcing-work-10-hour-parking-valet.html

• Members

I wonder why RH signed Micheal Hawkins as Frank.By his own admission he had been fired from LIAMST and ATWT and had a breakdown after that.I guess Frank was originally only going to be seen in a few flashbacks and when ABC said they wanted him to live, they took a chance on Hawkins.

Didn't history repeat itself and Hawkins erratic behavior cause him to be fired again?

• Members

According to the old article at the link below, Hawkins had trouble learning his lines. (They'd started giving him more to do once it was decided that Frank would live.) He was fired, but then the show couldn't find a replacement. So he ended up staying, working without a contract. Eventually, they found Andrew Robinson, so Hawkins was out.

Replacement Actors Find It Difficult To Fill Popular Roles Of Soap Stars

• Members

Yes, while Hawkins was affable and attractive, and came across as very endearing, it was clear from watching his scenes on various soaps that he was struggling with the dialogue. I don't really fault an actor for this. Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins) often stumbled over his lines on DARK SHADOWS, but that did not prevent the audience from adoring him and making him a soap superstar. Eileen Fulton as Lisa would also get tongue-tied on AS THE WORLD TURNS, as did Hugh Marlowe as Jim Matthews on ANOTHER WORLD. While Andrew Robinson was technically a much better actor than Hawkins, he was not particularly attractive, and came across as somewhat...creepy. (Maybe I was still being influenced by his role as a psychopath in DIRTY HARRY, but still....) I would have kept Hawkins as Frank Ryan, but just reduced his dialogue and kept his appearances to a few days a week. Anyway, the show decided to replace him, and later really hit pay dirt when they chose Daniel Hugh Kelly for the role. Hawkins had the looks and the charisma for the part, Robinson had the technical acting skill, and Kelly had everything. He was perfectly cast as the third and best Frank Ryan.