Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, I really enjoyed this as well...what a find.  I too wish there had been credits for this episode.

It also makes me wonder what might have been, had someone with a compelling vision for this show succeeded Labine and Mayer at this time.  I mean, I'd rather they had stayed and had the freedom to write what they wanted to write, but that wasn't going to happen and plenty of other shows — on ABC, no less — were able to bring in new blood and focus successfully (by most accounts) on new faces and more action-oriented stories around this time.  Pat Falken-Smith would have seemed like one of the better choices to do that here, based on her resume, and there were glimpses in this episode of how RH could have been embarking on an interesting, more glitzy, but still-somewhat-connected-to-what-came-before era.  I feel like Bess pretending to be the Coleridges' new housekeeper and making Maggie squirm while she tried to move up in society could have gone on for years, especially with the murder(?) trial and all, instead of giving way to Roger attempting(?) to rape Maggie and other seemingly out-of-character nonsense in a matter of months.

• Members

Yes, she was a wonderful addition. I was surprised to read in the obit that she was only on RH 1977 though 1981--  I had thought Polly might have still popped up now and again during all of Louise Shaffer's run but I guess we saw all her appearances on SOAPnet.

• Members