Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I too am glad someone tweeted and asked if they asked Claire Labine for permission. That'd be effed up if they didn't.

It'd be different had RH been a spinoff of GH. Yes, they're in the same "universe," but unlike the P&G shows, where Irna originally intended spinoffs and crossovers (even though they may not've happened), RH is Labine's legacy. Not the Hursleys.

But I doubt they asked much like I doubt Agnes if they could bring up Corinth from Loving

• Members

GH probably needed to ask Agnes, though, since she still owns LOVING (and THE CITY) and their storyline included the Alden mansion. But as for RH -- they didn't need to ask, because Claire Labine and Paul Avila Mayer had sold their show to the network back in '79, I think.

Edited by Khan

• Members

This isn't about "need." Claire Labine created and wrote for Delia off and on for nearly fifteen years. Claire Labine helped Ron get hired. Considering this man had a meltdown over others using characters he did not own, the least he can do is try to ask Claire for a few tips, or just talk with her about it. Otherwise it's just him shitting all over other shows, yet again.

• Members

Wow...well, Delia was the best soap character ever, AFAIC, so I'll be watching and hoping for the best. I do hope that Delia being Maura West's character's mother is just a rumor; as has been mentioned, I don't see a daughter that age fitting into the character's back story, and even to the extent that it could be explained, I wouldn't want to see a revelation like that handled in two days, without any of the RH characters that were central to Delia's life. Honestly, I don't see these two shows' histories "melding" at all. I'd rather Delia be someone who knows who this characters' parents are, but isn't directly involved. If that's all it is, then I guess it could be a fun bit.

On the other hand, if she is going to be shoehorned into some convoluted parentage story and they wanted to make some in-joke that likely a fraction of the people watching would even be in on, then I wish they would have just unearthed Ilene's "Loving" character.

• Members

PS: In answer to the question posed earlier, no, Delia was not like Roxy...Delia presented herself as being innocent and helpless; only when she felt threatened did she show her claws, but even then it seemed more like a child having a tantrum. As the years went on and her misdeeds piled up, more and more characters started to see through her, but she was not overtly outrageous like Roxy. Also, Delia was not an alcoholic. In short, having lots of forgotten children as the plot dictated would not have been her MO, and a teen pregnancy would have been a big deal for this character -- and probably would have sent her desperately searching for a Ryan boy to seduce and claim to be the father.