Savannah

dm.

• Members
Savannah_cast.jpeg

Set in the southern city of Savannah, Georgia, the series revolves around three female friends:
rich girl Reese, noble Lane and scheming bad girl Peyton. Lane McKenzie had left Savannah after
graduating from college to become a successful journalist in New York City; she returns for the wedding
of her childhood best friend, Reese Burton, who is marrying Travis Peterson. Finding out that her apartment
in New York has been robbed, Lane tries to collect on an inheritance — only to find out that Travis has
stolen every last penny of it. Reese finds out that Travis has been having an affair with a girl he calls "Bunny"
and is devastated; the other woman is secretly Peyton, daughter of the Burton family maid and Reese's friend.
Travis is soon found dead, and the first season revolves around the whodunit murder mystery and subsequent court case.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone remember this series? It started airing on The WB in 1996 and was an amazing primetime soap opera. The intrigues of Jamie Luner (Peyton) were my favorite part of the show.

• Members

What a trashy series. I LOVED it. Although it had a lot of bad ingredients of any Telenovela...

The stories were beyond camp, most of the actors convinced through their looks and not their acting skills (Hello Paul Satterfield!) but the overall package was adictive.

Loved Peyton! She and Nick Corelli were a hoot - as two schemers in cahaoots. Jamie LUner and George Eads also made the screen sizzle just by their presence.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I really think The WB made a HUGE mistake in yanking the show when they did. SAVANNAH was generating great buzz and getting a lot of press and attention, especially considering the fact that it was on an infant broadcast network that wasn't available to a considerable amount of the nation. I remember TV GUIDE at one point had even put the three stars on their cover...the press picked Jamie Luner as THE NEXT BIG THING (notice how quickly she was snatched up by MELROSE PLACE like 2 seconds after SAVANNAH bit the dust!).

The WB missed out on a great opportunity to use the show to build the rest of the network...soap viewers are among the most loyal and the most likely to stay tuned to the same channel following their soap...case in point can be seen by going back to 1964 with ABC, which was the then VERY distant third-place network, and then launched PEYTON PLACE. PP was such a smash hit (unlike anything ABC had ever aired before) that soon ABC was airing it three times a week and using the huge profits and audience flow from PP to build up the rest of their schedule...sure it took another ten years before ABC finally hit its stride and raced to #1 in the ratings, but IMO the shot in the arm the company needed came first from a soap! Years later in the early and mid 1980's when ABC's primetime linup was in a shambles, TPTB were saved by who else? A soap (GENERAL HOSPITAL) whose $1,000,000 WEEKLY profits supported the shows at night!

• Members

I agree it was a missed chance but the WB prob weren't too upset--they replaced it with my beloved Buffy and that essentially led to their success at being seen as a teen based drama network--which WAS their identity.

But it did seem weird they didn't give it another year--I remember reading it was doing relatively well and it had good buzz.

I never got to see it--I don't think we got the WB at the time (I watched early Buffy eps on a Canadian station) but it always seemed like another Melrose style soap from Aaron Spelling--wasn't it basically? That said it seemed to be the only one outside Melrose to carve out its own identity *unlike Models Inc, Pacific Palisades, etc* which si why I was surprised it was dropped

Archived