Another World Discussion Thread

Ilovedays

• Members

Sadly, I've never read it but I know details, as you have mentioned, Rich.

For a time, when I was pursuing my undergrad studies, I worked in a library. The soap books were always either in "the bindery" or lost, or on request.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I miss this show so much. I was very loyal and watched every day except during school. I liked or loved almost every single character. I have to admit I didn't pay any attention to who the writers were back then. I do remember the show going to 90 minutes. I loved the Felicia, Cass, Kathleen, and Wally era. Those were some good times. I do remember John and Pat. I remember being sad about the storyline, but I don't remember a lot of it.

I was born in 57'. I wonder if my local lib. would have this book. It sounds like an interesting read.

• Members

Oh Deb, you'd be about the same age as my older, older sister - the one who got us so interested in soaps. Did you see AW from the beginning? At my Grandmother's summer cottage, back in the 80's, we found an old TIME magazine about soaps from the 70's. Have you seen it? The text of the article has been posted here (not by me). But for years afterward TIME would promote themselves in small block ads with a pic of Victoria Wyndham - crying - with the words "Soaps are like Big Macs. People who won't admit it, eat them up."

And back then it was like that for AW. My mom is a therapist in private practice now but back then she taught psychology and sociology at a local college. She and several of her colleagues would arrange their teaching schedules so that they could watch AW.

• Members

Is anyone watching Another World on AOL video? I love it!!!!! The conclusion to Blaine's trial is awesome!!!!! I remember watching the last posted episode with my grandmother, and she was shocked at who the killer turned out to be! Its the best soap, along with Edge of Night, currently available for viewing, canceled or present day!

• Members

Ill start with Search when the murders start, I watched Search sporadically, especially during the Warren/Wendy Storyline, and the murders, and the flood. I also have to catch up on Texas. Right now for me Antoher World and Edge are the best out of the four.

• Members

nothing about age intended here, just a language problem. By my "older, older" sister, I meant my eldest sister, the one older than the other, the smarter one.

Sorry Deb. I spend most of my day in French, so it is sometimes difficult for me to revert back to English in a coherent way.

• Members

Lol, while writing this, I noticed your new post! I figured I would let it slide, lol! No offense taken. Raising my grandchildren makes me very incoherent by the end of the day. Preschool is my second language.

I think I watched it pretty much from the beginning when I wasn't in school. I really got into it when Mac came on, and he and Rachel fell in love. Anything before is pretty vague for me. I remember John and Pat, Steven, "what's her name", and the original Rachel, Robin Strasser. If I watched clips from AOL or youtube, I would remember more. I would run into the house to catch the last minutes of the show everyday.

I haven't seen the article you mentioned. I will look for it and read it. I do seem to remember the saying though.

My mom watched AW, but hasn't watched any soap in years. She thinks it is a good training ground for actors, but...crap, lol, yet she watches those stupid expose shows and believes everything. I love hearing about highly educated people watching soaps. On the outside, people wouldn't admit it except maybe to their closest friends. It's funny. I've take a few college courses over the years (no degree), and yet I won't admit to many that I watch a soap especially AMC!

• Members

You'd love the article, I'm sure. I will look for it here... but it doesn't have the same effect as seeing it all on the page, with photos, and "tears" instead of stars as a ratings system for each soap.

What I can sort of tell you is that AW was in trouble until "circe" Rachel was introduced. Hey, it was the 70's! Doug and Julie from DAYS were on the cover of TIME, back when TIME was still relevant.

• Members

Thank you, TC, I'd appreciate it.

I remember watching Doug and Julie back then. First real soap "supercouple".

Until I started reading message boards, I didn't care who wrote what, etc. There is an amazing amount of info. and varying opinions on this board. I find myself coming here a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Alma Rudder had to be my favorite storyline. I was just a kid then but I'll never forget her torturing Blaine. It was so devious and evil. And no one suspecting. I loved when she would call Cecile "Cecil" or Clarice "Cloris". It was just too much.

My mom was one of the first with a VCR, a small car probably cost less back then. Anyway, there was a similar story on The Doctors involving Althea, does anyone remember this, or know of a good TD site?

• Members

I have not got to read this whole thread yet but for me - my faves from the years I watched (1970 to the end) are:

Steve/Rachel/Alice triangle

Lenore & Robert's love story

Robert gets Clarice pregnant while married to Iris

John & Pat Randolph's breakup

John's marriage to Olive

Pat/Marianne/Greg triangle with Pat killing Greg

Joey & Eileen's love story (so tragic)

Catlin & Sally's love story

Donna finds love with Michael and reveal that they were Marly & Victoria's parents

Mac & Rachel's love story

Cecile's transformation from good girl to bad girl

Sandy & Blaine's love story

Mitch/Janice/Mac/Rachel

Archived